Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
First Visit to Thor Factory Service Center

So I just got to the Thor Factory Service Center to have some warranty issues addressed with our 2020 Magnitude SV34.

The one reason I stuck with Thor has been the responsiveness and flexibility of Thor Factory Customer Service. I have had two new rigs and they have sent me parts under warranty and even reimbursed me for out of pocket repair expenses.

I'm fortunate. I had this appointment booked for my Outlaw 29H and I was able to use it for the Magnitude after trading in the Outlaw so I was able to get in for warranty service only a month after buying it.

I have been working with Sally in the Service Center the past couple weeks in prep for my visit and she has been tremendous. She has been very responsive and helpful throughout the entire process.

When I got here she met me with Mark who will be leading my repairs to go over my list.

I have already fixed and upgraded several items but I still have a fairly long list of items in just a month. Here is my current issue list and I will keep you updated with how the process goes.

1) Replace Awning Fabric (Hole discovered during PDI)
2) Replace Retractable Sun Screen next to Dinette (Damage discovered during PDI)
3) MobilEye Not Working / Erratic
4) Induction Cooktop stopped powering on
5) Fresh Water Leak Inside Coach (I think the ice maker supply line is leaking)
6) Left Turn Signal Camera Not Working Intermittently
7) Inverter shutting down while driving and running fridge
8) Sound Bar Remote Missing Button
9) Shower Floor Flexing Near Drain
10) Freezer Door Does Not Seal Tight
11) Outside Slide Seal Falling Off
12) Slide Floor Seals Not Sealing Plumbing / Electrical openings to outside
13) Leveler Zero Calibration Check (coach is a little low in front when level... this might be normal for roof draining)
14) Bed Support Wood Splitting

Most of these should be easy fixes... but the concern is the MobilEye may take some time. It is newer and specialized technology and they said they may need to call in a tech from Mobileye.

I did learn when I got here that you can schedule work for coaches out of warranty and pay for the parts and labor. I thought this site was only for warranty work so it is nice to know they are an option over a dealer or other shop... if you don't mind waiting 6 - 9 months to get an appointment.

I was talking to some folks here getting repairs done on their Class A and the service people actually told them not to take the factory tour. They said if you saw the breaches in quality during the manufacturing process you would want to be screaming at the people on the assembly line. One of their issues was the windshield leaking and wind noise. The dealer told them they were being too picky about it. When the service center got to it they found the windshield was not completely installed at the factory and it could actually be moved if you pushed on it.... that is a scary thought!

The customer lounge is not much but at least they have WiFi so I can get some work done during the day. My plan is to grab a hotel room tonight (I'm assuming they won't get it all done in a day and it may take 3 with the MobileEye). Unfortunately the temps will be in the 20's at night here the next few nights so I winterized the coach last weekend. They even said they will be turning off the water in the parking lot tonight for people using it and staying in their coaches overnight.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The best of luck to you during your visit to Wakarusa.
(I hope that it gets to be your LAST visit to the place for repairs!)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #3

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The best of luck to you during your visit to Wakarusa.
(I hope that it gets to be your LAST visit to the place for repairs!)
Let's hope Bob!

Took me a little over 5 1/2 hours to get here last night.... not too bad but it was a long day.

I was in Toronto on business and my flight home was cancelled in the morning because of mechanical issues. I walked in the door at 4:00pm and hit the road for Wakarusa at 5:00pm. I grabbed a hotel in Elkhardt about 10:45pm last night and was here at 6:50am this morning.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Great report and I wish you the best. I would like to add that my 2017 Axis was Out of warranty. I did have my service contract $200.00 deductible. I called on a Thursday and I was sitting on the service pad in Wakarusa on the Following Monday Morning. They did fix all my battery issues by installing a New BIM. They also changed the LED light strips by the headlights. I was out by 2pm eastern time. This happened 3 months ago. Maybe call anyway and see if a cancellation or something. I did get in on 1 business day wait. Just an fyi.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I hope that you were listening to this song...

Old 11-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #6

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Great report and I wish you the best. I would like to add that my 2017 Axis was Out of warranty. I did have my service contract $200.00 deductible. I called on a Thursday and I was sitting on the service pad in Wakarusa on the Following Monday Morning. They did fix all my battery issues by installing a New BIM. They also changed the LED light strips by the headlights. I was out by 2pm eastern time. This happened 3 months ago. Maybe call anyway and see if a cancellation or something. I did get in on 1 business day wait. Just an fyi.
That is great to know Rev!

I have heard some people say it takes months to get in here. I know I started the process back in April for my Outlaw. They originally told me August and then the person handling it for Thor left the company and I fell through the cracks and ended up getting a November date.

I am going to make sure to get a direct phone number for here in case I ever do need to use them down the road.

Thanks again!
Old 11-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Judge,

When I had the Mobile Eye installed on the Accolade it had to go to the technician and not the technician coming to the coach for the Mobile Eye calibration.

Where on your coach is the camera/sensor unit for the Mobile Eye mounted? On mine they found that mounting it high on the windshield as recommended caused problems because of the Super C's cab overhang generating false returns and signals. Mine had to be moved down to the middle bottom of the windshield to operate properly. Once they found that issue and corrected it they were able to easily calibrate the system and all is well.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Judge,

When I had the Mobile Eye installed on the Accolade it had to go to the technician and not the technician coming to the coach for the Mobile Eye calibration.

Where on your coach is the camera/sensor unit for the Mobile Eye mounted? On mine they found that mounting it high on the windshield as recommended caused problems because of the Super C's cab overhang generating false returns and signals. Mine had to be moved down to the middle bottom of the windshield to operate properly. Once they found that issue and corrected it they were able to easily calibrate the system and all is well.
Dave.... thanks a million for this information!!!!! I just passed it onto my Customer Service Rep.

My camera / sensor is mounted high on the windshield of my Super C behind the camera display where the rear view mirror would be mounted.

This morning it was going crazy with collision alerts and no one was in front of me. But it was still dark and I was on a narrow two lane road heading to Thor's service center. There was a lot of on coming traffic with headlights on so what you say makes a lot of sense.

Your information may just have saved me a couple days sitting here while they try to figure out what's wrong. Both Thor and my dealer have admitted they are still learning about it and trying to get up to speed. Hopefully they will take your information and start there.

I will keep you posted.... Chris
Old 11-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Dave.... thanks a million for this information!!!!! I just passed it onto my Customer Service Rep.

My camera / sensor is mounted high on the windshield of my Super C behind the camera display where the rear view mirror would be mounted.

This morning it was going crazy with collision alerts and no one was in front of me. But it was still dark and I was on a narrow two lane road heading to Thor's service center. There was a lot of on coming traffic with headlights on so what you say makes a lot of sense.

Your information may just have saved me a couple days sitting here while they try to figure out what's wrong. Both Thor and my dealer have admitted they are still learning about it and trying to get up to speed. Hopefully they will take your information and start there.

I will keep you posted.... Chris
Looking at pictures of the Magnitude the overhang is similar to what I have on the Accolade and maybe a little greater. Moving the sensor/camera down to the bottom center of the windshield will probably correct your issues.

On the picture the cross at the top was the original mounting location and you can see where they had to mount the sensor on the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobile eye 1a.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	21292

On this picture you can actually see part of the overhang (black strip under the visors)

Name:	Mobile eye 2a.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	21293

Hopefully the info will help them straighten out your issues.

And to think I was going to clean the inside of the windshield yesterday and ran out of daylight.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #10

THOR #12751
So I have a little good news already about MobilEye.

I passed Dave's info along and one of the Thor Tech's stopped by to tell me that he was on the right track but they do know what the issue is and it is related to the camera / sensor.

Apparently everyone with MobileEye installed by Thor at manufacturing has been reporting similar problems. Thor started working with MobilEye to determine the issue and resolution.

It turns out the positioning of the physical camera / sensor housing was the issue when it was mounted on the windshield.

MobilEye had two resolutions.... replace all of the camera / sensor modules with a different version so the camera / sensor was positioned properly for the coach. The other options was to simply remount the camera (and is a remounting kit available which is basically just new adhesive). Both options supposedly fully resolve the issues.... which is what Dave confirmed in his post.

Thor has already started addressing the issues with MobilEYE and they have the remounting kits in stock so they are getting a kit from parts and going to re-position the module to the proper location. They then will have me take two of their technicians for a ride around 3:00 to test it before they wrap up for the day at 3:30.

I thought MobilEye would take the longest to fix so hopefully it will be as simple as Dave and the Thor techs say it is. I figure the rest of the items should not be too difficult but sometimes what should be easy turns out to be a harder than expected.

Hopefully I am back on the road home tomorrow by the end of the day.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That IS good news...
The best of luck with the rest of your list!
Old 11-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
So I have a little good news already about MobilEye.

I passed Dave's info along and one of the Thor Tech's stopped by to tell me that he was on the right track but they do know what the issue is and it is related to the camera / sensor.

Apparently everyone with MobileEye installed by Thor at manufacturing has been reporting similar problems. Thor started working with MobilEye to determine the issue and resolution.

It turns out the positioning of the physical camera / sensor housing was the issue when it was mounted on the windshield.

MobilEye had two resolutions.... replace all of the camera / sensor modules with a different version so the camera / sensor was positioned properly for the coach. The other options was to simply remount the camera (and is a remounting kit available which is basically just new adhesive). Both options supposedly fully resolve the issues.... which is what Dave confirmed in his post.

Thor has already started addressing the issues with MobilEYE and they have the remounting kits in stock so they are getting a kit from parts and going to re-position the module to the proper location. They then will have me take two of their technicians for a ride around 3:00 to test it before they wrap up for the day at 3:30.

I thought MobilEye would take the longest to fix so hopefully it will be as simple as Dave and the Thor techs say it is. I figure the rest of the items should not be too difficult but sometimes what should be easy turns out to be a harder than expected.

Hopefully I am back on the road home tomorrow by the end of the day.
Chris

Make sure they re calibrate it after they change the position. Mine had to go to a Mobile Technology shop for the calibration and that is why they were about 3 or 4 days late in delivering my coach. Since Thor is doing the installations maybe they have the calibration equipment there.

The calibration process starts at about the 4:30 point on this You Tube video.

Good luck and hopefully it works out.

Question, does you mobile Eye include the optional Highbeam Control functions? IHC is an option and not standard Mobile Eye.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #13

THOR #12751
Quote:
Chris

Make sure they re calibrate it after they change the position. Mine had to go to a Mobile Technology shop for the calibration and that is why they were about 3 or 4 days late in delivering my coach. Since Thor is doing the installations maybe they have the calibration equipment there.

The calibration process starts at about the 4:30 point on this You Tube video.

Good luck and hopefully it works out.

Question, does you mobile Eye include the optional Highbeam Control functions? IHC is an option and not standard Mobile Eye.
Thanks Dave! I will ask them about whether they can do the recalibration here. I'm glad I can take it for a test drive with the techs in it so they can see if it is behaving properly.

Mine does not have the IHC. I saw it is an option but it is not included in the Thor standard offering.

I will keep you posted!
Old 11-07-2019, 03:56 AM   #14

THOR #12751
Well..... just when I thought I might be on my way home from Wakarusa tomorrow with the coach all done and ready for next spring...... I ended up driving home tonight but without the coach.

First, let me say how terrific the Thor Service Center team is in Wakarusa. This was one of the best customer service experiences I have had in a very long time. They were assisting lots of other customers with their coach issues but they made me feel like I was their only customer in the building.

I have decided that while a 12-hour round trip for service is a long way..... I will only take my coach to Wakarusa for service if it is something I cannot fix myself. I don't think I will ever use a dealer again because this is the experience you should have at the dealer but dealers can't deliver.

Now onto the issue......

After feeling great about Dave pointing me in the right direction about my MobilEye issues and the Thor Service Team telling me they knew what it was and how to solve it, I thought the rest of my Punch List would be easy.

Then two hours later my customer service rep walked into the Customer Lounge and told me they needed to show me something. I knew that didn't sound very good......

When they were in the process of replacing the awning fabric, they found the top of the coach had body work and the paint job was not very good. Problem was it was fairly hidden by the awning when it was closed. When the awning was opened and you got on a ladder you could see an area near under the awning and near the awning mount had been poorly repainted.

I asked if that would have happened during manufacturing or at the dealer..... they weren't 100% sure until a light bulb went on.

One of my questions for them was that I received two bottles of touch-up paint with the coach.... but the coach is painted with four different colors. They said I should have received four bottles of touch-up paint in a plastic bag. Well my touch-up paint was not in a plastic bag. It was in a cup holder in the dinette and there was some tape around the bottles that was torn up.

One of the service techs then asked me.... are the two missing colors the same as the color where it was repainted..... and I said yes. We all looked at each other and said it had to be the dealer.

Needless to say I was not happy... especially with the dealer issues I have had in the first 6 weeks since buying the coach.

I asked if there was any structural damage and they all felt it was just cosmetic. They also said they would get it back to the factory finish for me and good as new..... but they would not be able to get it done this week.... and I could bring it back or leave it.

Given I winterized it and we are done using it until spring, I told them to keep it as long as they need to finish the repairs and to restore the paint back to a factory finish.

They helped me get a car rental.... which could not have been easier because they had the direct number for an Enterprise rental place not far away and Enterprise already had a car there that I could just drive off Thor's lot.

I'm in the process of writing a politically correct... but very pointed e-mail to the dealer about not disclosing there had been some type of body damage and a poor paint job to cover it up before I signed the paperwork.

I was supposed to take the coach to the dealer next week to have the Theater Seats installed we negotiated when we signed the sales agreement. I am now demanding that the dealer ship the seats back to Wakarusa so the Thor Service Center can install them.

They graciously offered to install them for me if I could get them to Wakarusa and I know and trust they will do a great job taking out the original sofa and installing the Theater Seats.

I am going to sit on my e-mail to the dealer overnight and make sure I didn't miss anything after I reread it in the morning. I am basically telling them if they get the seats to Wakarusa, I am willing not to take the documentation and pictures of all the issues I've experienced with the dealer and coach and send it to their corporate HQ and also to Thor's HQ.

I'm not threatening to call my attorney or anything like that. I just want to get everything fixed and addressed properly and then move past all this so we can enjoy the new Magnitude. I am confident the team at the Thor Service Center will make that happen but I have lost faith in the dealer at this point.

If the dealer won't ship the seats to Wakarusa, I will rent a truck, pick them up and take them myself and then have them installed before I bring the coach back home. I will send all of the documentation to the dealer's HQ's and Thor's HQ and I will request to be reimbursed for my travel expenses and two vehicle rentals.

Here's a few pics.... a lot easier to see it in person. You can actually see over-spray on the factory paint and you can feel a layer of paint over the original finish when you run your hand over it. If you look closely you can see over-spray on the awning mount as well.

Name:	Body-Work_3.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	21307

Name:	Body-Work_2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	21308

Name:	Body-Work_1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	21309

Name:	Touch-Up Paint.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	21310

Stay tuned......
Old 11-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow, well you know it will be made right.

I had to leave our coach there overnight as they couldn't put it into a state where I could spend the night in it. This meant that I also rented a car and drove home. When returning I had to drive to the Enterprise office and then they took me to the Thor facility.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Chris,

Sorry to hear about the issues. Hopefully it will get worked out. I already know that when I take the Accolade to Middlebury for the slide alignment it is going to be a two week effort because of having to repaint all the graphics on the side of the rig so they also line up correctly.

One thing you might do is have the service center folks talk to the warranty folks to see if the dealer filed a warranty claim for damage or painting while it was in their possession. No warranty claim would tell me the dealer damaged it and knew it and tried to hide it from a potential customer.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

But on the positive side of the ledger:
They found it, and you know that they'll do the best possible job of fixing it!
Dealers... "You can't live with them: and you can't bury them in the back yard..."
Old 11-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Quote:
Chris,

Sorry to hear about the issues. Hopefully it will get worked out. I already know that when I take the Accolade to Middlebury for the slide alignment it is going to be a two week effort because of having to repaint all the graphics on the side of the rig so they also line up correctly.

One thing you might do is have the service center folks talk to the warranty folks to see if the dealer filed a warranty claim for damage or painting while it was in their possession. No warranty claim would tell me the dealer damaged it and knew it and tried to hide it from a potential customer.

Judge,
We dropped off our two year old Vegas in Wakarusa this past Monday. We had some older "warranty" body work that was never completed by the dealer. Thor service agreed to cover the repairs if we would bring it to them in Indiana. They have so far been very professional and customer driven in all our communications with them, wish I could say the same for "General RV".

We will pickup the coach later today and follow up with you all about the outcome.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #19

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichFigs View Post
Judge,
We dropped off our two year old Vegas in Wakarusa this past Monday. We had some older "warranty" body work that was never completed by the dealer. Thor service agreed to cover the repairs if we would bring it to them in Indiana. They have so far been very professional and customer driven in all our communications with them, wish I could say the same for "General RV".

We will pickup the coach later today and follow up with you all about the outcome.

You can't be that kind of service!

They told me their body shop is backed up. They even had to send one coach to another shop. They told me mine probably would not even get done next week but I told them that was ok since I winterized it and it was just going to be sitting anyway.

They are a great group to work with and well worth the drive and time investment to know you are being taken care of a customer to them and not just a revenue stream.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #20

THOR #12751
So I just heard back from General RV in Canton, OH.

Before I go into his response.... let me say I try to always be fair with people because I would like people to be fair with me. If I complain about something I still try to acknowledge the positives as well. While I may not be happy with some things at General RV I will say the Service Manager there has been extremely responsive and positive in his communications and very professional.

So the good news.... he said they drive to Indiana once or twice a week to pick up parts so he is going to see when he could get the Theater Seats to the Thor Service Team so they can complete all of my work. He said he would get back to me in a day or two.

Next, he went through all of their work orders and did not see where any bodywork that was done by General RV on my coach while in their possession. He went on to say they have made significant investments in their own body shop and have a 65-foot side draft paint booth to do top quality body work and he sent me some pictures of it.

He also said they mix their own paint and he attached pictures of the color match computer system, camera to match, and paint materials in their mixing area. All of the mixing equipment and materials are supplied from the Axalta brand.

So with all of that... it is a mystery as to how the coach got some damage and someone tried to do a quick and dirty repair. Maybe it was damaged in transit? Or maybe coming off the assembly line? One thing is for sure someone used the touch-up paint to cover up the damage because those colors are now missing.

In any case, it will be fixed right and I should be able to let Wakarusa install the Theater Seats.

I am confident in the end everything will be fixed properly and I will be completely satisfied and I can store the coach for the winter and look forward to using it next Spring.

More to come....