Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2018, 10:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Fixed cable problem!

My cable hasn't worked right in my MH since day one and no, it's NOT the antenna booster switch, I already knew about that, LOL. I finally found the splitter behind the antenna booster, tucked inside the wall and all the connections were very loose. Even after tightening them, the picture would still come and go so I looked at the booster a little closer as when I would jiggle it, the picture would come in good. Seems when they mounted the plate to the wall the screw went all the way through the input cable, damaging it. Luckily, I have a cable making kit so I replaced the bad section and the picture comes in great now.

I just wanted to post my finding in case others have a similar issue as it will give them something else to consider. It saved me a ton of work as I was about ready to re-cable all three TV's which would have been a major pain!

Old 01-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
Awesome news. Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for posting. Now I know where the splitter is located if I ever have problems.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:02 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on finding the source of the problem!

But you might find that other problems STILL exist!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I had a similar problem with intermittent and poor cable signals. I tracked it down to one of the coax connectors on the signal booster. I solved the problem by chucking the signal booster and replacing it with a Winegard coax switcher box I found on eBay. The switcher isn't made any more, but the one I found was new in the box. The solution is far more satisfying than trying to get CW to fix it. I spent about what gas would cost for a round trip to CW, much less the two trips it would require to actually get it fixed.

The switcher box allows for 5 coax inputs that can be output to any of 4 outputs (It shows its age by the VCR designation of one of the outputs!). So now I have cable, antenna and Blue Ray player inputs that can be routed to any of the 3 TV's in the coach. It must have internal splitters/amplifiers to allow the same signal to go to all of the TV's at the same time. The splitter box also acts as an antenna amplifier using 12VDC power that I got from the signal booster power connection. Works great.

The attached picture shows the splitter box prior to final clean up. The wires are now properly dressed and I built a small shelf for the splitter box to go on. The BlueRay player and AppleTV go under the shelf. Apple TV output just goes to an HMDI input the main TV. I've finally figured out that I can stream AppleTV apps such as Netflix through my phone, when I'm lucky enough to have cell service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3366.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	8794  
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:52 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1517269952
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	8795  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:50 AM   #6

Model: 24HE
State: Florida
THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
The BlueRay player and AppleTV go under the shelf. Apple TV output just goes to an HMDI input the main TV. I've finally figured out that I can stream AppleTV apps such as Netflix through my phone, when I'm lucky enough to have cell service.
You can download videos from Amazon Video and play them back through the Apple TV. You can also download Netflix videos but don’t bother trying to play them back through the Apple TV or any other way. It won’t work.

Pete