Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 30q
State: New York
THOR #8766
Fixing rotten floor - looking for frame and roof support

Hi guys
I am planning to fix extensive floor damage

I am going to remove furnace, then kitchen cabinets. Then remove old OSB.
I found steel frame and going to lay plywood on a frame and glue it to the remaining foam

The damaged area extends under the fridge. I can remove water heater under fridge, then remove fridge.

Question is: can i remove fridge cabinet? It goes floor to roof, and i was told it is a part of roof support. I am afraid if i remove this tall cabinet the roof might collapse

Thank you everybody

Here is the damage area pictures

Old 08-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Looks like you need to update your avatar...says "still looking"
I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer with your Vin number. They can likely send drawings showing where the frame members are supposed to be, etc... also plumbing diagrams and electrical.
The stuff I have form Thor isn't much more than schematic level, but still might prove useful.

I'd seriously doubt if the cabinetry is supporting the roof. I'm sure once you get digging in you'll be able to see better.... but I can imagine no way that this would make any sense

Depending on how far under it goes, perhaps you can get away with flush cutting the fridge bulkhead just at the floor and temporarily supporting so you can slide the old wood out and slide new wood in....saving from removing the fridge

Hope you found and solved the leak....
Good luck!
Old 08-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
looking at the photos again, it looks like it likely goes under the fridge a good ways....
Of course this is only talk form very far away...but i think what I'd do is just plan on taking out the entire kitchen to get it down to the floor clean.
Hey, maybe you might even find opportunities to change a few things to better suit your needs.... reroute some heating, optimize storage, add an outlet or two, etc...
Old 06-23-2018, 08:35 PM   #4

THOR #838
similar problem

I have a similar problem. My floor in front of the sink is so soft I cannot step there for fear of falling through. I cannot figure out where the water is coming from. Could it possibly be leaking from the outside along the "belly band". I noticed this spring that the sealant was basically gone along there. I can't figure out why I have a soft spot in the middle of the coach. I have seen water twice on top of the vinyl under the drawer area but that was on top of the vinyl and that area isn't soft. Both times was after extremely heavy rains. Way i found it was the water ran under the cabinet bottom and out into the hall. I know I need to fix the leak, but need ideas on where to look. anyone ???