Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
Cab heat/air issues

The first problem we had was no fan. We had an electrical RV repair genius who claimed to have spent 40 hours trying to track the circuit and we finally had to settle for an imperfect fix - he wired the power directly to the battery, so if the fan is in an on position it will run even if the engine is turned off. That worked OK and we just have to be sure we don't leave the darned thing running.

Now our problem is that the switch that selects where the cab air is supposed to go doesn't work. I believe this system operates by way of a motorized baffle that directs the air from the fan into the selected ductwork. I think it is stuck in the position that the flow only goes to the defrosting vents along the windshield.

So... my question. If I understand the system right, then the problem could be the result of a bad switch... or a bad motor/baffle... or could it be something as simple as a fuse?

I've had pretty bad luck trying to track down fuses in this machine. Anybody know if there is a fuse controlling that circuit - and where it is located in a 2014 Thor Axis 24.1? I hate to pay the hundreds and go through the hassle if the repair folks are just going to replace a fuse...

Old 08-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well I don’t know your coach specifics at all, but until an expert HVAC person responds to your post I have a couple comments:

1. I hope the mobile RV tech wired your blower fan with appropriate sized wire and fuse for the blower motor load requirements and advised you where (at the chassis battery) he placed the fuse? Not the preferred solution to say the least.

2. I suspect (but I am not sure) that many RV’s still use a combination of electrical switches and vacuum operated control motors to provide the HVAC dash requirements. Usually if there is a vacuum leak or failure the default is to go to defrost air flow position. So it could be a vacuum hose cracked or pinched somewhere in the dash. This typically requires opening up the dash for access/inspection. Maybe this will allow proper repair of your blower motor too?

Some interesting reading after doing a search on the forum......

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...oner-7599.html
Old 08-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since I know as much about electricity; as Hogs do about the Sabbath: I can only think of one question...

Is your RV still under any type of warranty?
If it is: I'd be calling the Company and/or your dealership.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Thor MC typically uses an Evans Tempcon dash heating and air conditioning system. They are a complete systems manufacturer usually found on school buses. A online retailer of parts for Evans is Comfort Air <https://www.comfortairgr.com/product-category/evans-tempcon-motorome-rv-parts/>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, axis 24.1, cab air conditioner, cab heat