Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2017, 02:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #7060
Flushing black tank

We have a 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1. Our first trip first stop at dump station. Anyone have any suggestions on flushing black tank after dumping. We use to run a hose through the window in our class c but none of the windows on this RV pop out at least the screen doesn't pop out.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:20 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We had a tornado installed by our dealer when we first picked it up. The dealer simply installed it on the side of the black tank accessible by the side hatch there so I just hook the hose up to it and let it run.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:25 AM   #3

THOR #7060
Ahhh great idea. I'll ask our service people about that. We are taking it in soon. Thank you so much
Old 05-14-2017, 02:47 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
If you have that done make sure you ask the dealer to install it on the back side of the tank (the side towards the rear) and not directly on the wall opposite the hatch: There really isn't enough room between the tank and the hatch for anything. I have a plug that I screw into it to keep it sealed up and even had to break the tab off the plug to be able to close the hatch.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:56 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I also have a Tornado. It's not a thing I use every time I dump. I probably use the Tornado every ten or so times I dump. If you put a few gallons in the tank after dumping and use enough water when you flush, you shouldn't need to use the Tornado very often.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
A tornado can be installed anywhere in the tank and a hose run to a convenient spot for hook-up. Best to install at the end of the tank so spray can reach most places.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Use the Tornado as well - the 'ideal' location per directions is opposite the drain pipe - wasn't possible (inaccessible to drill the hole with tank in place) on my Hurricane - so put it on the side of tank... Seems to work well. I use it virtually every dump (that has water available)... It's so easy to use - why not?

Long term stays I leave it connected - tee with a shutoff valve and extra vacuum breaker and just turn valve after dumping to flush.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
That tank flush is great, I use it every time, I dump the black tank. Not only does it flush and spray the inside, it insures you have enough water available to effectively dump the tank.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #9

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonm View Post
We have a 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1. Our first trip first stop at dump station. Anyone have any suggestions on flushing black tank after dumping. We use to run a hose through the window in our class c but none of the windows on this RV pop out at least the screen doesn't pop out.
The tornado was easy to self-install in my Vegas, using the included instructions, I installed at the top of the non-drain end of the tank, routed the included tubing back to the drain compartment. Attached a short hose with valve to it. I flush each time I dump when water available. Then I close the gate and put some water in the tank. I'm happy with it.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
I too self-installed the Tornado in the rear of the tank as high up as I could to the upper right corner (looking at the tank from the rear tire). I ran the extension hose (supplied with the unit) to inside of the storage area that has the valves. THIS week I added a quick disconnect to the extension hose on the Tornado and my second (non-coach) water line...WOW, I wish I had done that last year when I first thought of it.

We use it every dump. First drain whats in the black tank, then close the valve add two big squirts of Dawn soap into the toliet on the first rinse and let it run until the guage shows 2/3tds full dump it, once it quits draining, close the valve run it up to 2/3tds full and dump it a second time with just the water and the "stuff" in the black water tank seems to clean out quite nicely by the end of the second rinse.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
I too self-installed the Tornado in the rear of the tank as high up as I could to the upper right corner (looking at the tank from the rear tire). I ran the extension hose (supplied with the unit) to inside of the storage area that has the valves. THIS week I added a quick disconnect to the extension hose on the Tornado and my second (non-coach) water line...WOW, I wish I had done that last year when I first thought of it.

We use it every dump. First drain whats in the black tank, then close the valve add two big squirts of Dawn soap into the toliet on the first rinse and let it run until the guage shows 2/3tds full dump it, once it quits draining, close the valve run it up to 2/3tds full and dump it a second time with just the water and the "stuff" in the black water tank seems to clean out quite nicely by the end of the second rinse.

Doc
I was just going to ask where everyone had mounted their TORNADO water connection. I installed THE TORNADO last year when the coach was new, but didn't mount the water connection.

Maybe I am just dense, but not sure what you are meaning about the "second non-coach" line. Any way you could spell it out a little bit so a slow hillbilly could grasp.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:04 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Mo,

Sorry about the confusion.
I have a "T" coming off the source water from the Park that splits to one line that goes thru a filter, thru a pressure monitor then into the RV. The second line (never feeds any water into the RV itself) goes to a hose that I can run back to the fish cleaning table I have set up off the bumper of the RV, or run to a cleaning wand to get the bugs off the windshield and finally to the waterline for the Tornado. When I use it there I use the quick disconnet...so much easier than screwing the hose on inside the storage bay.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:45 AM   #13

THOR #7060
Actually I think we were overly worried about the dumping with the sewer connection so low. As long as you use quite a bit of water with flushing we had no problems. We were pleasantly surprised and don't think we will worry about a thing now. Thank you all for your suggestions
Old 05-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
After a lot of research when I first bought our MH, I ultimate decided that a flushing jet was not worth the trouble.

I have found that with plenty of water to prime the works, and using enough water when flushing....and of course waiting for the tank to get more or less full before dumping....that there's really not a lot of need.

I have no doubt that a rinsing jet will do some good... but you really need to do those things anyway....full before dump and lots of water....

and it's not like I'm going to sit at a dump station and putz around with a rinser anyway, unless there's nobody likely to come up in line behind me.... which would rarely ever happen....so I would only use it at home or at a full hook-up site

On occasion, like when I end up dumping when the tank isn't all the way full.... When I get home I'll refill the black tank with clear water and dump it. I figure this would get at least as much out as a rinsing jet.... and I can do this procedure anyplace that I would ever use a washing jet anyway
so
if anything, I would like to have a simple tank filler.... something with a high flow rate nozzle rather than a washing jet, to make it faster and easier to do rinsing fill/dumps
Old 05-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
"...so I would only use it at home or at a full hook-up site"
How do you dump at home? Do you have a sewer receiver?
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2
and it's not like I'm going to sit at a dump station and putz around with a rinser anyway, unless there's nobody likely to come up in line behind me.... which would rarely ever happen....so I would only use it at home or at a full hook-up site
I've only used the rinser once at a dump station: I had planned it so no one would be there. This was the last camping trip of the season and I always make sure its rinsed out before storing it over winter.

Usually we plan a stop at a full hook up campground before putting it away for the season but that one year we couldn't.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #17

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #5936
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If you have that done make sure you ask the dealer to install it on the back side of the tank (the side towards the rear) and not directly on the wall opposite the hatch: There really isn't enough room between the tank and the hatch for anything. I have a plug that I screw into it to keep it sealed up and even had to break the tab off the plug to be able to close the hatch.

Had no problem installing the tornado towards the hatch. Hatch closes without a problem.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #18

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Mine too is installed high on the tank facing the storage door, which has no problem closing. Haven't see any clearance issue, at least on mine.