Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #1377
Foot brake 2010 Windsport 31d

Hi
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the foot brake of a 2010 Windsport 31d that has the Ford 2009 V10 Tritton Chassis? I recently purchased the Motorcoach and found that when you pull the brake release, the foot brake pedal does not return to its stand by position, is there a spring that helps the pedal return? The brake is working OK but may also need adjusting as you have to depress it a long way to activate. Has anyone downloaded a workshop manual? if so which is the best one?
Thanks for any assistance
Regards
Eric

Old 02-23-2015, 01:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
The emergency brakes are cable operated and is part of the Ford Chassis, so it is best to take the RV to someone that works on Fords.

The problem with them - as it is with all emergency brakes (on all brands of cars) is if they are not used enough, the cable can freeze up (rust, corrosion, etc). I try to "excersize" all of my emergency brakes on all of my vehicles (including the RV) at least once a month to keep them operating properly, which so far, has kept them working well.

It might be more of a problem in Michigan though where we have salt on the roads for several months of the year, but I think lack of use is the culprit with these brakes regardless of environment.

My mechanic - whom I trust - has fixed my emergency brakes on two vehicles so far, and the only option is to replace the cable. He warns against lubricating them as he said that only causes dirt and grime to stick to the cable, and it can make the problem worse.

I don't know if he is telling me the truth - but as I said I trust him. And I don't want to attempt spraying lubricant on the cables and find out he is right.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:32 AM   #3

THOR #1377
I think you may have hit the nail on the head as they say, the Windsport 31d we have bought has hardly been used, spent most of its life in a shed, so probably is a cable problem. Guess i will have to take it to a Ford dealer, will have a look at the cable first, could try silicon spray which won't attract the dirt, maybe a bit of use may free it up. I have had other lack of use issues, Onan generators don't like gas being left in the Carby for long periods, had to have a new one installed, the Ethanol in the fuel corrodes the innards apparently.
Thanks for your reply
Regards
Eric
Old 02-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I also bought my moho used, so the genny suffered from the same lack of use. I had an issue with the genny last summer. It would start and run OK, but it would not take a load without bogging down.

I think the genny issue is due to varnish deposits from the gas. I found some carburetor spray that you could use to clean out the carb with (with the engine off). I sprayed it into the throat of the carb, then started the engine; which hacked and choked and blew white smoke out of the tail pipe for a few seconds until it started.

I did this 4 or 5 times, and eventually the genny ran OK under load.

Since then, I always put Stabil in the engine when winter storing it.

In addition, I run the genny under 50% load every 60 days or so. So far, there have been no new issues.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

THOR #1377
The Cummins/Onan guy did try that a couple of times, maybe not enough, before he said it would need a new one. He showed me how to empty the Carby of fuel when leaving for long periods and yes the handbook tells you to run under load for a couple of hours every 60 days or so. Will be looking after it after spending $500 on a new carby. Will also get some fuel additive
Cheers
Eric
Old 02-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
So how do you empty the carb of fuel? Is there some screw or something you can remove to drain it?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:15 AM   #7

THOR #1377
Ha ha, I guessed you might come back and ask that. We will be back to our Windsport in 10 days, put it into storage at Ft Lauderdale while we flew back to Australia for 6 weeks. Made some notes on the procedure and they are in the Motorhome, it is a simple job, the second part is undoing a screw at the bottom of the Carby and draining the fuel, just can't remember what you turn off first to stop the fuel flowing. Will put a reply up when I check my notes
Regards
Eric