Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Yes...they should be able to remove those bolts, even if it took dynamite...it's a Ford part and it's under warranty. Perhaps the issue was "this is to install a non-Ford part", which is not a warranted repair and it just looked like a disaster for them was unfolding. Not sure.

..."Maybe Ford might say they are not intended to ever come off?"...

Good statement...there was probably a liability concern once they got into it and choose to pass on it.
Agreed. I think you nailed it

Those two nuts are torqued at 250 ft-lbs; so they don't exactly slip off My coach drives fine as it is, but I have read so much about the Safe T Plus Stabilizers I figure it can't hurt? Didn't know it would be such a hassle; not to mention about $1k.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Agreed. I think you nailed it

Those two nuts are torqued at 250 ft-lbs; so they don't exactly slip off My coach drives fine as it is, but I have read so much about the Safe T Plus Stabilizers I figure it can't hurt? Didn't know it would be such a hassle; not to mention about $1k.
Because I wasn't feeling well when I got mine I went to a local truck/tire shop. I had them align the front end and install the stabilizer. I think it was about $80 for that and about the same for the alignment (only caster adjustment).
The Ford dealer is hard to get into
Old 12-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #43

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
Because I wasn't feeling well when I got mine I went to a local truck/tire shop. I had them align the front end and install the stabilizer. I think it was about $80 for that and about the same for the alignment (only caster adjustment).
The Ford dealer is hard to get into
Well that is about what I hoping to spend as I only needed the mount installed. (Camping World's stabilizer is on backorder) But I have $110 sunk and the unknown of what it will cost to buy the part or have it finished out.

I went to Ford Dealer Commercial Truck dealership primarily to establish some time of relationship and to learn where they were and how they operate. Based on what I have learned, it will be close to $400 just to get the mount installed

I have graciously walked away; but in private and on this site questioning myself. My plan at the moment to go to Spring shop and let them do whatever it takes. I know that if the U bolts breaks; this new shop can make a new U bolt versus paying Ford to pay someone else to make a custom U bolt for what should be a standard Ford part.

Glad you deal work out smoothly. Can I assume that you were very pleased with the Safe T Plus once installed?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #44

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Quote:
Well that is about what I hoping to spend as I only needed the mount installed. (Camping World's stabilizer is on backorder) But I have $110 sunk and the unknown of what it will cost to buy the part or have it finished out.

I went to Ford Dealer Commercial Truck dealership primarily to establish some time of relationship and to learn where they were and how they operate. Based on what I have learned, it will be close to $400 just to get the mount installed

I have graciously walked away; but in private and on this site questioning myself. My plan at the moment to go to Spring shop and let them do whatever it takes. I know that if the U bolts breaks; this new shop can make a new U bolt versus paying Ford to pay someone else to make a custom U bolt for what should be a standard Ford part.

Glad you deal work out smoothly. Can I assume that you were very pleased with the Safe T Plus once installed?
Yes, very pleased with the addition.
Any spring shop can do this for you. Dealer only want to use "Ford" parts due to the in/ability to warranty work done at other dealers across the country.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #45

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ve done it three times now and never had too much trouble with those big nuts but never on a 2019 chassis. They’ve been tight but I’ve beat them with a stout breaker bar. The only reason I can think why yours could be that stuck is that maybe Ford has started using high strength thread locker. Did you try heating them with a torch? Your other option would be to have the Safe T Steer shop do the installation. I understand they do it for free. Just wait u til you are going their way and schedule a visit.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #46

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’ve done it three times now and never had too much trouble with those big nuts but never on a 2019 chassis. They’ve been tight but I’ve beat them with a stout breaker bar. The only reason I can think why yours could be that stuck is that maybe Ford has started using high strength thread locker. Did you try heating them with a torch? Your other option would be to have the Safe T Steer shop do the installation. I understand they do it for free. Just wait u til you are going their way and schedule a visit.
Yes Safe T Plus will install for Free. Those guys have been great and although I don't have it installed yet, I love dealing with them. They have been with me step by step for last few weeks.

I couldn't use them to install for free because I would have to take the RV to Atlanta. I am in Dallas. I rushed to buy because CW had a Black Friday sale; so I got really good price for bracket and 41-180 stabilizer. However the stabilizer went on back order and still is. It has been 2 weeks and I still have no ETA from CW.

Since I did have the mount; I decided to try doing myself. It was seized on. I thought I would take the opportunity to find my local Ford Commercial Truck center, meet them, allow them to so a really simple job. But it turned into this dilemma. I paid them $110 but got nothing. They are expecting me to come back when I get a U bolt just in case they actually break it next time they try. They charge $175/hr; so I am kind of reluctant to go back to them as I may only make this story worse. I have found a Spring shop and waiting to get it scheduled in to see what they can do. If U bolt does break; they make them right on the spot. It is salt on the wound that CW has the actual stabilizer on back-order. My logic is if I get the mount done and out of the way, I should be able to install the rest without any issues.

If I can get over the $110 that basically was throw away due to whatever reason it is so difficult to get off, I should be fine.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:13 AM   #47

THOR #13058
Update on Safe T Plus Install

You may recall the Rush Ford Commercial Medium Truck in Dallas charged me $110 because they said to take off bolts might break the U bolt. They wanted to make custom U bolt in case it broke.

I paid Ford; but found a spring & alignment shop who put my bracket on for me for $72. THey had no issues with the U bolts and did in about 20 minutes. They even offered for me to bring it back when I get the stabilizer from Camping World.

So net net I was glad as the approach I was headed with Rush Ford Commercial Medium Truck in Dallas was $400 just to install the bracket!!!!!

I did return to Rush Ford Commercial Medium Truck in Dallas to let them know that I was not returning the coach because I did not need a U bolt and that it had been mounted. I showed them my $72 receipt and asked if they could do anything because I had paid them more to tell me they didn't feel they could do safely than it actually cost to get it mounted

The Supervisor actually agreed with me but stated the Manager would not budge; so I am out the $110. However, they may have been penny wise and pound foolish because if I ever go back to them, it will be my last option.

I got a place that is very economical and they can do all of my alignment work and Spring work if necessary.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:29 AM   #48

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
You may recall the Rush Ford Commercial Medium Truck in Dallas charged me $110 because they said to take off bolts might break the U bolt. They wanted to make custom U bolt in case it broke.

I paid Ford; but found a spring & alignment shop who put my bracket on for me for $72. THey had no issues with the U bolts and did in about 20 minutes. They even offered for me to bring it back when I get the stabilizer from Camping World.

So net net I was glad as the approach I was headed with Rush Ford Commercial Medium Truck in Dallas was $400 just to install the bracket!!!!!

I did return to Rush Ford Commercial Medium Truck in Dallas to let them know that I was not returning the coach because I did not need a U bolt and that it had been mounted. I showed them my $73 receipt and asked if they could do anything because I had paid them more to tell me they didn't feel they could do safely than it actually cost to get it mounted

The Supervisor actually agreed with me but stated the Manager would not budge; so I am out the $110. However, they may have been penny wise and pound foolish because if I ever go back to them, it will be my last option.

I got a place that is very economical and they can do all of my alignment work and Spring work if necessary.

Glad you got it done and have a new “friend” in the business! It happens though. Took me visits to 3 shops and over $300 to get one of my coaches aligned one time. And even then I had to straighten the steering wheel myself. At least you’re done with the hard part now.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #49

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #16876
Yep,

Same problem here. I had my gas Winnebago for 6 years. Ford was good in the beginning but not so in the last 3 years or so. It got to be so bad out west that I was being sent to dealerships 700 miles away for service. I finally sold my motorhome and swear I will never again buy a ford chassis on anything because of this lack of support from their dealerships.

Ford does not create incentives for their dealers to support their chassis. Dealers prefer Commercial business because there is more money in it. So, there you go, my two bits.

I went to a diesel, I am going to pay more for everything but at least, I will be able to find service when I need it.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #50

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG7V View Post
Yep,

Same problem here. I had my gas Winnebago for 6 years. Ford was good in the beginning but not so in the last 3 years or so. It got to be so bad out west that I was being sent to dealerships 700 miles away for service. I finally sold my motorhome and swear I will never again buy a ford chassis on anything because of this lack of support from their dealerships.

Ford does not create incentives for their dealers to support their chassis. Dealers prefer Commercial business because there is more money in it. So, there you go, my two bits.

I went to a diesel, I am going to pay more for everything but at least, I will be able to find service when I need it.
You know in a way, I credit this site for saving me tens of thousands of dollars. I would not own my Winnebago without some very experienced seasoned Thor owners who have helped me along the way. The one area I thought I would be safe with would be the Ford Chassis. I have been going to same Ford dealership for 20 plus years. But for MH they sent me to Rush Ford Commercial Medium and despite advice to go to a Spring Shop first, I thought it would be a good time to go to this Ford Commercial Center, get to know people, rub a few noses, and get my name and vehicle in their system. But nooooooooo!!!! As you said they are for Business truck owners. They even charge more per hour to discourage MH owners.

With that said; I try to find positives out of negative experiences. In this case; I had to spend $110 to learn that the Rush Ford Commercial Medium will NEVER give me the benefit of ANY doubt. i.e if they really were concerned; why not just refer me to the Spring & Alignment shop they use? One day it may be worth talking with Ford to see their views.

As people like pictures. Attached is finished bracket being mounted. What should have been $80 bucks or so, wound up costing me $110 and distrust of Rush Ford Commercial Medium. You ever loan a friend some money, and then you never see him again because he/she hides from you to avoid paying you back? Well I have. In the big picture I view those loans as good investments for future cost avoidance. Same apply for Rush Ford Commercial Medium service. I will go out of my way to avoid them.

For this kind of work in Dallas area I recommend Truett Worrall. Ask for Charlie and tell him about me, the Sunstar guy; and he will hook you right up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191222_111326.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	21910   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191222_111317.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	21911  

Old 12-30-2019, 12:30 AM   #51

THOR #13058
Stabilizer bar is added

I finally got the Stabilizer bar and installed this myself. I need to verify the alignment but it is freezing in Dallas tonight. Just dropped below 50 degrees When temperature is warmer I will take her out ands see how it goes.
If anybody see anything that look wrong, please tell me. I got thick skin and only care about one thing; and that is getting it right using as less money as possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191229_164108.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	21975   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191229_164224.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	21976  

Name:	20191229_164701.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	21977   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191229_164720.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	21978  

Old 12-30-2019, 01:50 AM   #52

State: Alabama
THOR #17401
If I was you I would double nut the U-Bolts nuts so that there is no way they will loosen. Looks good as long as you have the left and right travel range.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:07 AM   #53

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
If I was you I would double nut the U-Bolts nuts so that there is no way they will loosen. Looks good as long as you have the left and right travel range.
I am actually worried that the 9/16 nuts are not tight enough. The install manual was very specific to NOT torque more than 20 ft - lbs and to NOT bend the u bolt bracket. I think it needs to be tighter even before adding 4 extra nuts.

Either way, I have to ensure it is right spot to hold RV straight before I can lock it down. May use some lock tight?
Old 12-30-2019, 02:25 AM   #54

State: Alabama
THOR #17401
Be careful with thread lock and if you do go Blue not RED. You double nut with a nylon lock nut also. Good luck and be sure the travel is centered.