Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Ford F-53 Alignment Dilemma

No, this not another thread about who pays for alignment. Here is my dilemma.
I purchased my coach in August and had an alignment completed by a Ford Fleet Service Department. I was informed that I was 3/8” out of toe. They completed the alignment with the computer based system. When I got home I loaded everything up and just recently had alignment again by a local Houston truck service shop recommended by Fort Fleet 800 #. When they completed the alignment, they said I was 3/8” out of toe. They use the old fashioned manual alignment method. I was also informed by the truck service shop that adding weight to a single axle vehicle doesn’t change the alignment and that the Ford Fleet probably didn’t do it right and it shouldn’t have changed.

So now my dilemma. Who do I believe? How could it have changed that much over a course of 3 months with the weight I added, which is well under the GAWR and GCWR? TIA for staying on topic and being courteous to one another's experiences.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If you add enough weight to change the suspension height, there will be a slight alignment change, but it really shouldn't be enough to worry about, normally, unless you are overloaded.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post

.....cut....

I was also informed by the truck service shop that adding weight to a single axle vehicle doesn’t change the alignment and that the Ford Fleet probably didn’t do it right and it shouldn’t have changed.

....cut....
I assume you meant to say "solid axle" instead "single axle"?

Anyway, based on the way a solid front axle is built (sometimes also referred to as a beam or rigid axle), I would tend to believe this part of what they are telling you. I personally can't imagine/visualize how placing a load would affect toe significantly on a solid axle.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
So now the question is which tech is correct... And can't tell you which one to believe. Unfortunately an alignment isn't something a DIY can do or check - so at the mercy of the mechanic(s).

Kinda like having more than one watch - you never really know the time then... (but those with one are always sure..)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Actually 3/8 toe out or in? To much out or in usually alters straight line tracking and stability. It usually shows on tire wear as well. Too much out, inside of tire wears. To much in and it shows on outside edges. Out usually makes vehicle wander upon braking, not sure effects of in. Wear usually allows toe out to increase on front steer, toe in to increase on rear steer.

Did you feel any difference driving after each alignment?

I any event, checking toe is actually the easiest measurement in the front end. In my racecar I check toe by using a fishing line pulled tight and squared off slicks. It gives me a reference point to check distance from rim edge to line on both sides. If rim edge is not equal, I adjust to minimal toe in. Works like a charm, you see NASCAR guys do it on TV in pits after a fender bender.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:52 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Hi Tech,

Why did you get a second alignment?? At about 1000 miles we had our Windsport 27K aligned and were told it had almost 1/2" toe-out, when corrected the "wondering" we experienced went away. Safe travels.

John & Diane
Old 12-22-2016, 06:30 AM   #7

THOR #4160
I had the alignment completed again because I have since then loaded it up with our stuff and after all I have read it is most important to complete the alignment after it is fully loaded. I was 3/8" out and yes, I meant solid axle.

I spoke with Ford Fleet today and was informed that yes, weight to the incomplete vehicle affects toe, caster and steering wheel clear vision. This document says it is for 1999; however, the Ford tech says it applies to all F-53 chassis.

As far as feeling any different, no it still drives about the same. I did add a Safe T Plus and completed the CHF after the first alignment. Do you think that would have an impact on it being 3/8" out of toe again?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford Chassis F53 - QVM59.PDF (93.2 KB, 180 views)
Old 12-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
I had the alignment completed again because I have since then loaded it up with our stuff and after all I have read it is most important to complete the alignment after it is fully loaded. I was 3/8" out and yes, I meant solid axle.

I spoke with Ford Fleet today and was informed that yes, weight to the incomplete vehicle affects toe, caster and steering wheel clear vision. This document says it is for 1999; however, the Ford tech says it applies to all F-53 chassis.

As far as feeling any different, no it still drives about the same. I did add a Safe T Plus and completed the CHF after the first alignment. Do you think that would have an impact on it being 3/8" out of toe again?

Weight added to the "incomplete vehicle" is very different than adding a few groceries and personal belongings as far as I know. The incomplete vehicle is the stripped chassis Ford ships to Thor or other manufacturers, where they then build it into a motorhome. Weight could easily be tripled -- going from around 7,000 pounds to over 20,000 pounds. That amount of weight will compress suspension enough to alter settings a significant (measureable) amount. Much has to do with the design of leaf springs, which rotate the axle as it moves up and down.

Your issue was a second alignment, both after the vehicle was completed. If you added 1,000 to 2,000 pounds of weight, that's only in range of 5 to 10 %, not the initial 300 % added by Thor as part of building the motorhome. I think you are reading the document out of context.

As an example, look at caster changes depicted in document. You'd have to compress suspension between 3-1/2 and 4 inches to change caster 1 degree. We may see that from building a motorhome on top of the stripped chassis, but not from adding personal belongings.

In my opinion toe should change even less, and certainly not enough to go from 1/16" (if that's still correct setting) to 3/8" (whether plus or minus).

Regarding the work you did, I doubt you did anything to change toe setting unless you inadvertently moved or adjusted the tie rod.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #9

THOR #4160
Thanks Chance. I think my best bet is to watch tire wear and driving performance over some time.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
Getting some good pictures of your tires in their present condition will give you a benchmark to more easily detect future changes.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 12-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #11

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Thanks Chance. I think my best bet is to watch tire wear and driving performance over some time.
Good plan. I would also trust the manual alignment shop, as long as they do a bunch of F53 frame work and/or bigger stuff.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote