Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
No 12 volt power at dash

No power at the dash nothing works will not start and the generator switch will do nothing !all the 12 volt lights work in the coach just no power at the dash any help would be deeply appreciated does anyone know why the emergency start switch doesn't work

Old 08-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Charge the chassis battery?
Old 08-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #3

THOR #3992
No 12 volt at dash

When I hook the battery charger up to the chassis battery it showed a full charge I heard 3 beeps went inside and everything work fine go figure, thanks for the help!
Old 08-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Did your check you battery cables for tightness? Both of them? At both ends?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #5

THOR #3992
No 12 volt at dash

Yes I checked all the connections they seem to be tight but I think I have a slow drain on the chassis battery tried to start it later that day and it acted like the battery was dead you know the clicking sound so I put my battery charger on it and charge the battery up and it seems to be working fine now but I worry that I've ruined my chassis battery somehow don't know what the slow drain would be but I'm sure is something Thor knows about or not also the emergency start will not work the first time when the battery was completely dead but when it was making the clicking sound I hit it and it was enough of a boost to start to be honest I really don't know why it would start up but after hearing three beeps and then the next time it wouldn't start electrical problems can be a nightmare
Old 08-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

State: Virginia
THOR #7607
I would clean the chasis battery posts and clamps. It may be pretty on the outside but could have corrosion where it counts, between the post and the clamp.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #7

State: Alabama
THOR #8945
I have the answer

I know what is wrong with your unit. Under the front dash stretching from driver side left of the steering wheel to the middle of the dash there's a harness. On the driver side to the left of the steering wheel there is four plugs from this harness that plug into the chassis. All four of these must be plugged in including one of them which is to the generator. There's another plug in that area that goes through the firewall of the unit into the engine compartment. Underneath the steering wheel you have to reach up in and there's two gray plugs that the harness should be plugged into from the chassis. There is also one plug that it's pushed through the firewall through the center of the engine compartment from of the dash with the camera cables it must be plugged in also there's two ground wires that are screwed to the chassis and that same area all of those must be plugged in or grounded to make the dash 12 volt and Generator work correctly. Start there and let Mr know if that works. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #8

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I know what is wrong with your unit. Under the front dash stretching from driver side left of the steering wheel to the middle of the dash there's a harness. On the driver side to the left of the steering wheel there is four plugs from this harness that plug into the chassis. All four of these must be plugged in including one of them which is to the generator. There's another plug in that area that goes through the firewall of the unit into the engine compartment. Underneath the steering wheel you have to reach up in and there's two gray plugs that the harness should be plugged into from the chassis. There is also one plug that it's pushed through the firewall through the center of the engine compartment from of the dash with the camera cables it must be plugged in also there's two ground wires that are screwed to the chassis and that same area all of those must be plugged in or grounded to make the dash 12 volt and Generator work correctly. Start there and let Mr know if that works. Good luck.
It just started working can't explain it hope it doesn't do it again but I will find someone better than me I have health issues that can get under there and look at what you're talking about again thanks a lot
Old 09-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Wisconsin
THOR #4603
same problem

We have had the same issue with our 25.2 Axis!! It would not start...emergency start wouldn't work either. We could use it and two days later, nothing. We would touch the battery charger to the post, hear a click and then it would start without charging.

After taking it to Ford and to RV service, they had no answers. batteries tested fine. But we spend $360 to replace the engine battery. Worked great for about 3 weeks. then would not start again for no reason!

So, my husband decides there much be something draining the battery. he buys a battery disconnect online. Installs it on the engine battery. After completely disconnecting the engine battery, the stupid thing STARTS!!! No wires at all connected to the engine battery.

We are at a complete loss...

Ideas why?
emtjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtjab View Post
...he buys a battery disconnect online. Installs it on the engine battery. After completely disconnecting the engine battery, the stupid thing STARTS!!! No wires at all connected to the engine battery.

Ideas why?
Were you plugged into shore power at the time? If so the BCC or BIRD/Trombetta (which one varies by unit even within Axis) would have tied the battery circuits together to charge...

If you weren't plugged in - that would still be the place to start debugging - the batteries should be ISOLATED if not plugged in and engine not running.

Info about the system is in Ed's manual for the Axis/Vegas.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #11

THOR #3992
Quote:
We have had the same issue with our 25.2 Axis!! It would not start...emergency start wouldn't work either. We could use it and two days later, nothing. We would touch the battery charger to the post, hear a click and then it would start without charging.

After taking it to Ford and to RV service, they had no answers. batteries tested fine. But we spend $360 to replace the engine battery. Worked great for about 3 weeks. then would not start again for no reason!

So, my husband decides there much be something draining the battery. he buys a battery disconnect online. Installs it on the engine battery. After completely disconnecting the engine battery, the stupid thing STARTS!!! No wires at all connected to the engine battery.

Ideas why?
please let me know what you find out if you do find out anything I have a feeling this is going to be something that creeps up and hits me in the back of the head again
Old 09-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #12

State: Ohio
THOR #9125
Quote:

Ideas why?

If it starts then it has to be hooked into the coach batteries, not going to start unless it has power. Sounds like you need to trace down your connections.