Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #15908
Hot water heater

2018 Hurricane 31 S. We were plugged into Shore power for one week, and the hot water heater worked for 4 days and then stopped working. I've checked all the fuses that I know to check, and still nothing. It wouldn't work on propane either. After we unplugged and came home the propane would work to heat the water. We are in a park now and hooked up to shore power, and no hot water. It still will not work on propane either. Any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. I believe the 2018 has the 6 gal tank water heater with either 120vac heater element or propane. Since no one has responded so far I will do a re-direct to another entry on the forum which was a similar stated problem. Saves asking the same questions......I never got a response there though.....yet.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...sue-18059.html
Old 07-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I take it your water heater does not have the reset push buttons on the outside of the unit.

With that said as for the 110 mine stopped working, had to gain access to the rear of the heater. Once I could get to the rear of the unit there was a black plastic cover over the wiring and heater core. Check the wiring connections mine were burnt and close to starting a fire. Cleaned up the ends of the wire, reconnected with correct size wire nuts. Heater worked fine on 110.

As for your propane inspect and clean the tube outside, at times spiders or mud robbers like to call that home.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 PM   #4

THOR #15908
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I take it your water heater does not have the reset push buttons on the outside of the unit.

With that said as for the 110 mine stopped working, had to gain access to the rear of the heater. Once I could get to the rear of the unit there was a black plastic cover over the wiring and heater core. Check the wiring connections mine were burnt and close to starting a fire. Cleaned up the ends of the wire, reconnected with correct size wire nuts. Heater worked fine on 110.

As for your propane inspect and clean the tube outside, at times spiders or mud robbers like to call that home.
Thx 4 the reply. I replace the circuit board today and still nothing! I've checked anything and everything that I know to check oh, there's no reset button, all the fuses inside and outside are good. I'm at a loss[emoji24] [emoji30] [emoji33] [emoji107]
Old 07-11-2019, 11:11 PM   #5

THOR #15908
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Welcome to the forum. I believe the 2018 has the 6 gal tank water heater with either 120vac heater element or propane. Since no one has responded so far I will do a re-direct to another entry on the forum which was a similar stated problem. Saves asking the same questions......I never got a response there though.....yet.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...sue-18059.html
Thank you for the reply. I replaced the circuit board today with a new one, and still nothing. It doesn't even try to start Lighting on propane and it doesn't work still on 110.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:45 AM   #6

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Sorry to hear you are still "not" having warm showers in your RV as yet. Usually it helps others on the forum help you (or anyone else) to trouble shoot when you provide as much information as possible.....like make and model of the water heater; tankless or tank; what panel monitor lights are coming on or not with either 120VAC or propane heat sources; what you have done so far and if there are any other details that might help troubleshoot; smell gas or not; sound of sparking etc.

You checked fuses.....did that include in the water heater itself? Any lights come on the cct board (if equipped) when there is a call for propane heated water? Did you check continuity of the thermostat sensor and ECO (emergency cut off) thermostat inside the water heater? No continuity through safety sensors and the cct board will not attempt to start propane at least. If both 120vac and propane are both not working, as I said before it sounds like it could be a common control problem, but it could also be simply a burned out element for the 120vac source or loose 120vac power connections in the back of the heater; and possibly a propane gas valve or pressure problem. Sometimes a mobile RV tech is worth your sanity and your safety.