Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #17244
Exclamation Super Slide wont retract need help

Hi everyone, we have an 08 Thor Four Winds Mandalay 43A that has 3 slides. We were having an issue with the inverter and found the recall on it so we took it to our local Camping World for the repair. (That was our first mistake) we told CW to make sure the coach was completely level before putting out the slides as the kitchen slide sometimes had issues. Well, what did they do? They put all the slides out without leveling it (we suspect). Ironically the kitchen slide and bedroom came back in but the super slide will not retract! Of course CW is claiming it wasn’t their fault. The super slide has NEVER had an issue with retracting until CW had it for a day. They of course have no idea how to get it back in. When you try to retract it the front comes in but the back doesn’t move at all. Does anyone know how to fix this? Unfortunately CW is the only Thor approved repair shop within a 100 miles of us. To make things worse we were supposed to be heading out on a trip in 4 days and they broke our coach. Any help or advice as to where to get help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
They don't know how to fix it???

Why don't they call the manufacturer that they are an authorized service provider for????

Sounds like one of you slide motors has given up the ghost and was probably intermittent before now. Replace the motor and you should be good to go.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First, an 08 Four Winds Mandalay, why are you worried about a "Thor Authorized" service center. IMHO you should be more concerned about a reputable service center than an authorized service center. If you are dealing with the old McGeorges, now a Camping World, I wouldn't have them lace my shoes, and I wear slip ons.

I notice you are in Virginia. If you are close to the Richmond area I recommend RV Service of Virginia. They are independent but they will not work with manufacturers warranties. They will work with some extended service plans but not all.

Sorry, but without knowing what slide systems you have on that 11 year old coach I can't really say what the issue is. Like someone else stated it could be a slide motor that is bad.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #4

THOR #17244
Exclamation Why CW

We took it to Camping world for the recall on the inverter. We weren’t having any problems with the slides. This coach has a hydraulic slide system.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #5

THOR #17244
They called Thor and even with Thor service couldn’t fix. This is the super slide. The front part of slide will come in but back won’t budge.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #6

THOR #17244
Exclamation Unbelievable!!

Went to camping world to check on our Motorhome. Not only did they mess up the slide but they drove it with the slide half in/out!!! I took a video but it won’t let me upload. CW says it’s not their problem! What do we do?
Old 11-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
That has to be a hydraulic valve problem, seems a competent fellow or gal could sort it out

If this just happened than I would start at the beginning making sure voltage, fluid, valves, and so on are as they should be

At the same time look for any leaks

Hydraulic slides are the least problematic out there so it has to be fairly simple
Old 11-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #8

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAlouf View Post
They called Thor and even with Thor service couldn’t fix. This is the super slide. The front part of slide will come in but back won’t budge.
Does the rear of the slide move in or out at all?
One of our hydraulic rams had an internal failure, no back part of the slide movement.

Easy but expensive to have the ram replaced.
I was a telecommunications repairman, coincidences do happen, although rarely.
Hydraulic cylinders are repairable, if that is your problem you might make a deal to pay to fix/repair the cylinder if they pay for the labor
Old 11-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #9

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
Okay, so i guess my first question would be why did they have to extend ALL the slides to replace an inverter, especially after you made the comment to them about leveling, etc.? I might be able to understand to extend one slide, probably the bedroom slide, to gain access to the inverter. That thinking might lead me to believe that they really don't know what they are doing, hence they may have helped to create this particular problem.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #10

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Trying to address the problem

Do you have the Operators manual? If not go here: https://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-cont...nersManual.pdf

This gives minimum instructions on running the slides manually. Read carefully and perform even more carefully.

Next, figure out the actual manufacturer for the slide system, then go look about them. I got more from the Lippert (LCI) tech line for my system than I probably would have from Thor.

At this point, it is only half broke, so I'm of the opinion to try to bring the front end back in manually, then get it the heck away from there.

Just trying to help.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #11

State: California
THOR #15490
[QUOTE=HAlouf;210088]They called Thor and even with Thor service couldn’t fix. This is the super slide. The front part of slide will come in but back won’t
You should be able to unplug the controller and there should be a valve on the lines somewhere you can open so you can push it in. That said being hydrolic it may be either the pump is out on that side or the valve is sticky to reverse it. Someone should be able to figure it out. Need to take to somewhere like a shop that has worked on the hydrolics before an "authorized thor service center" likely hasnt dove that deep before since they dont actually trouble shoot they just replace parts by the book until they get the right one.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:10 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #22273
I hate to bring an old thread back to life, but I had this exact thing happen yesterday, right down to the front trying to come in but the back wouldn't. I ended up running it in manually (the instructions for that in my manual are incorrect, by the way). I think there's probably a pressure switch that's cutting things out early, and I'd be interested to know where it is so I can carry a spare with me.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsaund22 View Post
I hate to bring an old thread back to life, but I had this exact thing happen yesterday, right down to the front trying to come in but the back wouldn't. I ended up running it in manually (the instructions for that in my manual are incorrect, by the way). I think there's probably a pressure switch that's cutting things out early, and I'd be interested to know where it is so I can carry a spare with me.
Welcome to the forum. What model RV? There are no pressure switches on Schwintec slide systems. There are controllers, motors and wiring as well as the extend/retract switch.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #14

THOR #22273
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Welcome to the forum. What model RV? There are no pressure switches on Schwintec slide systems. There are controllers, motors and wiring as well as the extend/retract switch.
Thanks for the welcome.

I have the exact same make, model, and year as the OP - 2008 Mandalay 43A. The slides are hydraulic, and the pump system is made by Equalizer Systems. Schwintek are electric slides, are they not?
Old 02-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #15

THOR #22273
I just spoke to Equalizer Systems - they said that there's a pin switch (small, pushbutton) mounted on the stationary part of the retraction arms. He wasn't sure about whether it was the front or rear arm but he said that's what is responsible for switching over from the hydraulic retraction to the slide locking circuit. I'll look for that switch sometime in the next day or two and update if I find it.

I know these rigs are sort of rare, but if my trouble and resolution can help someone else, it costs me nothing to put it out there.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry to see that you're having trouble with the slides; but welcome to the Forum anyway.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:37 PM   #17

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsaund22 View Post
I

... if my trouble and resolution can help someone else, it costs me nothing to put it out there.
Thanks.
You are a rarity.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help please, slide problems, super slide stuck