Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2016, 01:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #1001
Fresh Water Nightmare resolved

Late last summer,I lost pressure in my fresh water system. Long story short,checked lines,pump,filter,everything I could think of. Camping world Richmond,Ind was not helpful at all. Finally took it to a local auto/RV shop that came highly recommended. They blew air backward into the tank from the line near the pump. Air was bubbling freely into the tank,but when the air was removed, water would only trickle back down the line. They finally removed the line at the tank,removed the 90 degree angle,and hit the air again. A chunk of wood blew out of the line,taking care of the problem. It was acting like a check valve,when they blew air back,it passed through easily,but the wood would clog the line again when the water tried to flow back down the line.Hopefully,this may be helpful to someone down the line.
Happy Travels!
Tim Riggs

Old 05-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by timr View Post
Late last summer,I lost pressure in my fresh water system. Long story short,checked lines,pump,filter,everything I could think of. Camping world Richmond,Ind was not helpful at all. Finally took it to a local auto/RV shop that came highly recommended. They blew air backward into the tank from the line near the pump. Air was bubbling freely into the tank,but when the air was removed, water would only trickle back down the line. They finally removed the line at the tank,removed the 90 degree angle,and hit the air again. A chunk of wood blew out of the line,taking care of the problem. It was acting like a check valve,when they blew air back,it passed through easily,but the wood would clog the line again when the water tried to flow back down the line.Hopefully,this may be helpful to someone down the line.
Happy Travels!
Tim Riggs
Funny. A similar thing happened in the gas line of my VW Karmin Ghia 25 years ago. I had dirt in the line that captured a little water. When it was below freezing, the water in the dirt would sometime freeze and block the gas flow and the car would die. I changed everything I could think of and finally took it to a mechanic who blew the dirt out of the line. Problem solved.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #3

THOR #1249
Looks like the curse of the Thor wood chips struck-stuck again. First time I heard of chips in the water lines, but hey, I had them in my furnace blower causing it to miss fire and run intermittently. Like others here, I have found wood chips behind everything removable.
Glad your problem is fixed and now you can enjoy camping.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #4

State: West Virginia
THOR #2027
We had water pressure problems with our new 2016 ace. The water would initially come out of the faucets or shower head strong, but then after a few seconds, would taper down to a minimal amount. We thought it was a bad water pump. Our local RV dealer checked it out. It was not the pump. The dealer found saw dust/wood chips packed in our water line. They blew the lines. The found saw dust packed in the line. They were just as surprised as us.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Funny. A similar thing happened in the gas line of my VW Karmin Ghia 25 years ago. I had dirt in the line that captured a little water. When it was below freezing, the water in the dirt would sometime freeze and block the gas flow and the car would die. I changed everything I could think of and finally took it to a mechanic who blew the dirt out of the line. Problem solved.
Oneilkeys, you brought back some memories of my younger days and my first new car; a 1970 VW Karmann Ghia that I bought when i got out of the Air Force. Lots of good times in that little rascal. $3 would fill it up from empty at 30 cents a gallon and go 300 miles. No a/c though, which I didn't really miss back then. Just hang the arm out the window and get it sunburned.

(Sorry about hijacking the thread.)
Old 05-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Oneilkeys, you brought back some memories of my younger days and my first new car; a 1970 VW Karmann Ghia that I bought when i got out of the Air Force. Lots of good times in that little rascal. $3 would fill it up from empty at 30 cents a gallon and go 300 miles. No a/c though, which I didn't really miss back then. Just hang the arm out the window and get it sunburned.

(Sorry about hijacking the thread.)
I bought my 1973 Ghia for my wife, from Japan. I was heading for Vietnam and she was going back to get her Masters degree after a 4 year tour in Tokyo. We had that car for 19 years. Finally sold it after we moved to Florida when there was more Bondo than metal. Paid $2500 and sold it for $2000 after over 100k miles. Wish I still had it along with the 1965 Mustang 289 stick convertible that I left in Tokyo. Hindsight is 20/20.