Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Front Cap Oxidation

Hello All,
I thought I should start a new thread on this issue. We purchased the "PermaPlate" exterior finish warranty on our 2016 Axis 24.1. Our coach does sit outside, uncovered here in Southern California. I noticed early this year that the top of the front cap was fading when I was doing some research to replace the roof clearance lights with LEDs. I filed a claim with PermaPlate, they sent a contractor out to do a buff and wax. The finish returned to its faded look within weeks. PermaPlate sent the contractor out to document the issue. Last week, I was told by PermaPlate that they would pay to have the entire front cap painted. I am in the process of getting an estimate for the job. I paid a lot of money for this coverage so I thought I would let all of you know how this process is working. More to follow.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #2

THOR #3483
By the way, at the last RV show in Pomona, CA, they had a "new" 2016 Axis for sale. The top of the front cap was faded just like mine.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In the other thread (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...html#post72710 ) I found out you can use 303 on the gelcoat (I guess it pays to read the directions!). The 303 does seem to bring the color back to even but the effect fades over time. I'm just hoping the 303 slows the damage done by UV (since it is sunblock in a way).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Hello All,
I thought I should start a new thread on this issue. We purchased the "PermaPlate" exterior finish warranty on our 2016 Axis 24.1. Our coach does sit outside, uncovered here in Southern California. I noticed early this year that the top of the front cap was fading when I was doing some research to replace the roof clearance lights with LEDs. I filed a claim with PermaPlate, they sent a contractor out to do a buff and wax. The finish returned to its faded look within weeks. PermaPlate sent the contractor out to document the issue. Last week, I was told by PermaPlate that they would pay to have the entire front cap painted. I am in the process of getting an estimate for the job. I paid a lot of money for this coverage so I thought I would let all of you know how this process is working. More to follow.
Good to know. We had the same issue, but in addition to the front cap fading the entire driver's side was showing major problems, too, due to the sun hitting that side when it's stored.

The PermaPlate folks came out this week and buffed, waxed(?) and applied their product again. I wasn't able to talk with the 2 college kids when they finished, and saw that there are still some patches on the side that don't look "even". Maybe I ought to call them and have them come see it.

I'll keep my eye on this also. And I'll let you know what happens with my issue.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #5

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
I've given up on wax, perma plate etc.

I bought a new 4x4 subcompact tractor, shiny as .... The dealer told me he uses SC1 High Gloss Coating on all his tractors. It's fo metal, plastic and just about anything else. Motorcyclists use it religiously. So I tried it. On the super bad areas I sprayed it on and let it dry. Dull gone shine back. On less dull areas I buffed it while wet. It's been two to three weeks at 7,000' plus and looks as good the day I put it on.

Looks like a pretty neat product. Waxing never restored the original shine and lasted less than 2 weeks. I bought four more cans from Amazon and after I have it washed I am going to complete the job of covering the chalked areas. Have no idea of its persistence.

SC1 High Gloss Coating!
Old 06-18-2017, 09:26 PM   #6

THOR #3483
I'll look in to that too. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If you're still under warranty fight, fight, fight for them to paint it, waxing, buffing, miracle elixirs only prolong the fading possibly til your warranty runs out, painting is the ONLY permanent cure.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote