Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Front tires on a Class A gas MH

My wife and I recently stayed at a KOA and were parked next to a class A diesel coach. I noticed that the front tires on the diesel coach were much wider than what I have on my class A gas coach. Has anyone every toyed around with wider front tires on a class A gas coach in order to improve handling? Although I added the Safe-t-plus stabilizer, the rear BlueOx tigertrak and did the CHF on the front, the drive experience can still be "white knuckle" at times, especially when the interstate road condition is poor (ruts, etc.), semi's passing, slightly windy day, etc.

2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I noticed at Tampa Super Show the Diesel pusher chassis near the entrance had much wider front tires. Picture below.

I think the main reason for the wider tires is that some of these rigs carry much more weight on front axle -- like about twice as much. Specs show front axles can go up to 20,000 pounds, much higher than the typical 9,000-pound axle in large Ford F-53 gas Class As.

I don't know if wider tires would help with handling (personally doubt it), but you'd have to run pressure very low by MH standards to avoid a harsh ride.

I have thought about it in a different context for a smaller motorhome. I like the idea of converting to single rear wheels and using same size tires in front to make all four corners (and spare) same size. Problems include wider tires may cause interference with chassis/body at front, ride would be harsh if pressure isn't lowered a lot, and some of these tires may not be rated for both steer and drive axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4115.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	4624  
Old 04-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A wider tire may reduce the mpg the coach gets (heavier tire, larger contact patch, higher rolling resistance).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:08 PM   #4

THOR #2121
I have to admit those wide front tires look cool.

I think if a motorhome was designed from the ground up with four equal-size tires instead of using a 6-wheel truck chassis, it would drive better and have lower rolling resistance.

Newer semis already come with wide tires to save fuel. One large tire should improve on two smaller ones. Less weight and lower rolling resistance.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Georgia
THOR #6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I have to admit those wide front tires look cool.

I think if a motorhome was designed from the ground up with four equal-size tires instead of using a 6-wheel truck chassis, it would drive better and have lower rolling resistance.

Newer semis already come with wide tires to save fuel. One large tire should improve on two smaller ones. Less weight and lower rolling resistance.

Monaco made a diesel pusher with 4 super large tires.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 AM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboss View Post
Monaco made a diesel pusher with 4 super large tires.
Thanks, I did not know that. I suppose that with rear weight bias of a DP they probably used larger super-singles on back. It must have not gone over well if not in production today.

I was thinking more in terms of small to medium gas motorhomes. For example, Ford goes up to 10,050 pounds GVWR on E-Series with tires like on my van, rated just above 6,000 pounds per axle. If we double that, tires rated at 12,000 pounds per axle could easily go up to 20,000 pounds GVWR as far as I know (unless there are regulations that prevent it -- which is doubtful).

So a 12,000-pound rear axle and 9,000-pound front axle could support up to 20,000 pound GVWR while using 4 equal-size tires and wheels. I'd like that better than duallies.

We're going in that direction anyway. Some Single Rear Wheel pickups are already rated up to 12,000 pounds GVWR. I don't see any obstacles other than wanting to do it, a little higher cost, and maybe customer demand.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:47 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
I used to own a small all aluminum Class A. It did sail around quite a bit in a wind. One answer was very wide rims with very low profile tires. The coach came with P205/82-14 and I ended up with 245/45-17XL. Both sizes were about the same diameter.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote