Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2018, 11:25 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Have you looked into the scan gauge? Plugs into the obd connector and adds many, many options of data you can monitor and they are pretty accurate after you go through the adjustment procedure. You can get them on Amazon but here is a link to their website. I have used them since 2004.

https://www.scangauge.com/
Scangauge is a good tool, very straight forward and not too confusing or headache generating for people like Bob *smile*
I use Torque Pro. You have to do your own customizations but it is another toy to play with. One of the things I like about it keeps a trip record. I have attached a screenshot of the app from the 7 inch tablet I run it on. Attached an example of a trip also. Just a note on the Oil Life, it is still a work in progress. Haven't got it working yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-10-15-19-10-39.png
Views:	110
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	13527   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	13528  

Old 10-15-2018, 11:33 PM   #22

State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Oncet had a car in the 70s when I was young and the fuel gauge broke about two weeks before I was being transferred overseas. So I filled up the tank every 300 miles on the counter. Good plan except that pulling a U haul hurt the mpg and one time I coasted into a gas station off the highway, out of gas. So I got rid of the uhaul and never found the time to fix the gauge till I sold it. And yes they knew about the gauge being broke, just watch the counter.
Your lucky you coasted in. I to this day can still taste gasoline in my mouth from siphoning.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
i would realy like a smart gauge that (if it's running) accounted for the generator running gas used also. i got 7.5 MPG in my 31E but i think that was not accounting for the generator running.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 PM   #24

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
If you want accurate telemetry, use a scan gauge connected to the OBD port. Tells me not only MPG, but how many gallons are left in the tank, oil temps, transmission temps, & lots more. Its a great little device.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
Your lucky you coasted in. I to this day can still taste gasoline in my mouth from siphoning.
And washed the gas taste out of mouth with MD20/20....
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #26

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
THOR #12270
i have one and love it BUT and it's a huge BUT it will only tell you what you tell it and the ENGINE tells it.

for example if you have a 55gal tank you tell the sanguage you have a 55gal tank and you "fill it up" with say 53gal. go on a trip and the needle is at E. IF YOU RUN THE GENNERATOR, the data is NOT correct saying you have used 48gal. yet you fill the tank to 53gal.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:34 AM   #27

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
i have one and love it BUT and it's a huge BUT it will only tell you what you tell it and the ENGINE tells it.

for example if you have a 55gal tank you tell the sanguage you have a 55gal tank and you "fill it up" with say 53gal. go on a trip and the needle is at E. IF YOU RUN THE GENNERATOR, the data is NOT correct saying you have used 48gal. yet you fill the tank to 53gal.
Mine will tell actual gallons in the tank. Apparently the BC tracks that and the scan gauge is programed to pick up that info. If you fill that tank it detects that and displays the actual number of gallons in the tank.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:55 AM   #28

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Mine will tell actual gallons in the tank. Apparently the BC tracks that and the scan gauge is programed to pick up that info. If you fill that tank it detects that and displays the actual number of gallons in the tank.
Wind in front, behind, sideways, up and down hills affects the mileage. Just make sure you have enough.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:28 AM   #29

Model: Freedom Elite FE29
State: Colorado
THOR #11503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Sometimes too much information can give you a headache.
When the gauge sets to half-full: it's time to start looking for the pumps.
Excellent advice. I always tell my spouse that I'd rather ride on the top half of the tank than the bottom half. Just sayin'
Old 10-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #30

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jands View Post
Excellent advice. I always tell my spouse that I'd rather ride on the top half of the tank than the bottom half. Just sayin' [emoji38]
I heard of a guy that used to test fly Huey helicopters that were rebuilt after war. The guy bought all kinds of gauges, then made the dash, overhead and instrument panel of his Van FULL of gauges that actually worked. Way too much information, but if he had the money.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #31

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Too much info .....

I purchased a VW a long time ago to build a dune buggy, and if I recall correctly, it didn’t have a fuel gauge at all. The fuel tank was in front hood area, and there was a valve handle that stuck through firewall (not really the firewall since engine was at rear) so when driver ran out of gas, you’d switch to reserve. I never drove it as a car, and fuel tank was rusted out, so didn’t get to test the system. The final dune buggy fuel tank didn’t have a gauge or reserve valve, yet I never ran out of fuel. A lot of information can be beneficial, but when we don’t have it, we can adapt and do without. Taking some risks can be fun and keeps us on our toes.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #32

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Easy call - use the number as a guide. When we plan our drive for the day, I plan a 300 mile drive - at most. I always look for a fuel stop, preferably close to daily stop. Based on the last 52k+ miles we driven, I know that I've got about 100 miles when I hit the 1/4 mark without regard to the DtoE computer read out. I don't like to get less than that for several reasons, one of which is that the gennier won't run below a 1/4 tank mark.

Just how we do it - the DtoE is a very rough guide.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #33

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
And washed the gas taste out of mouth with MD20/20....
I think you have that backward. You wash the taste of MD20/20 out of your mouth with gasoline.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #34

State: Arizona
THOR #12097
You didn't mention what the terrain was like. Did you suddenly go from a downhill grade or even level grade to suddenly going up hill? I get decent mileage on level grade, but it sucks gong uphill.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #35

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2817
Hills are not good, but headwinds are worse for me. At least with hills, you get a bit of payback on the way down. I guess the best curse for outrageously low fuel mileage is to slow down or leave the ignition key in your pocket.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:47 AM   #36

State: Arizona
THOR #12097
Absolutely right Metalman. Head winds will do it too.