Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Windshield chip

It finally happened. I knew it would. While driving in Southern Oregon on I-5, I caught a rock and it chipped the windshield right in front of the driver's seat. It's about the size of a dime.

I called my insurance (Progressive) and the repair will be covered. BUT...

I am in Yreka CA today and tomorrow morning. Then I go to Sacramento tomorrow. The Sacramento Safelight can't see me until Monday. BUT...

I am heading for Santa Clara Saturday morning. So now I have to wait until next week to get it repaired.

I am worried about the chip becoming a crack while driving for the next few days. If it does, the repair becomes a replacement which will cost me my $1K deductible.

What I am wondering is if it would be wise to put a piece of duct tape over the chip to "stabilize" it. Do you think that is wise?

Old 06-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Safelite gave me some round (about the size of a quarter) clear tape to put over a chip. They said to do it asap to keep dirt out of the chip and also to help keep it from spreading. Yes, put something on it asap.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:49 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
It finally happened. I knew it would. While driving in Southern Oregon on I-5, I caught a rock and it chipped the windshield right in front of the driver's seat. It's about the size of a dime.

I am in Yreka CA today and tomorrow morning. Then I go to Sacramento tomorrow. The Sacramento Safelight can't see me until Monday. BUT...

I am heading for Santa Clara Saturday morning. So now I have to wait until next week to get it repaired.

I am worried about the chip becoming a crack while driving for the next few days. If it does, the repair becomes a replacement which will cost me my $1K deductible.

What I am wondering is if it would be wise to put a piece of duct tape over the chip to "stabilize" it. Do you think that is wise?
A friend had a chip on their car windshield and went to OREILY and picked up a repair kit for under 20.00

He said it only took about 10-15 minutes to do and you couldn't even see the repair.

It has held up for seven years now. Just an idea.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:48 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post

Why would you pay if the chip becomes a crack??????

I have Progressive also. Windshield replace has a $0 deductible when comprehensive. Rock caused the chip=comprehensive. I only pay deductible for windshield if its a collision.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:58 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Dime Chip

I am kind of surprised that they will repair a chip in the driver's line of vision. Our first experience on our way to Island Park, ID we were "lucky" that it was between the driver and passenger area. I think I paid about $80 in West Yellowstone to have it epoxied. So far, no spreading of problems. Didn't bother with insurance.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:47 AM   #6

Model: Axis RUV 24.1
State: New York
THOR #9288
Chip in the windshield

While working as a LEO I had to put in a 3 hr drive each way to the job. I always had a kit in the car consisting of Fix a flat, a small plug in air compressor, wiper blades a few fuses and some windshield repair ( the kind that comes in a syringe that you line up over the chip and depress into the chip. I finished off the kit with a gas can ( empty ) and power steering fluid with a funnel and I was good to go. I also carried a change of underclothing and socks for those late night OT sessions where it was to late to travel back home and returning to work the next day.
I used the chip mend a number of times and it did it's job well. Lasted until I sold the car years later.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:12 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
When i couldnt sleep at home i would go to work and get into a patrol car. Never had a problem sleeping there.
Jerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Piper View Post
While working as a LEO I had to put in a 3 hr drive each way to the job. I always had a kit in the car consisting of Fix a flat, a small plug in air compressor, wiper blades a few fuses and some windshield repair ( the kind that comes in a syringe that you line up over the chip and depress into the chip. I finished off the kit with a gas can ( empty ) and power steering fluid with a funnel and I was good to go. I also carried a change of underclothing and socks for those late night OT sessions where it was to late to travel back home and returning to work the next day.
I used the chip mend a number of times and it did it's job well. Lasted until I sold the car years later.
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
gbrown, my thought was the same as yours. You want to protect it from dirt and moisture. Moisture and temperature change can cause the chip to progress to a large crack. I would call the place that will be doing the repair and ask them how to protect it until you can get it repaired.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Safelite showed up this morning and fixed the chip. One can barely see the fix. Except for waiting almost 5 days, I'm very happy with Progressive and Safelight.

BTW - He agreed that it was a good thing to cover the chip with clear packing tape.