Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottendan View Post
Did you have a protection coating done from the dealer? If so there is a 5 year warranty. I missed my warranty by 2 months.
Was this an option I would have had to order / purchase? Was it done in the factory?

I never asked for it and do not remember seeing it in the bag of literature.

Darren

2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:17 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
The protective coating option is normally something that is offered by the Dealership during the sales process along with other options like extended warranty, etc.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #43

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottendan View Post
Did you have a protection coating done from the dealer? If so there is a 5 year warranty. I missed my warranty by 2 months.
Had it applied to my 2015 Windsport I thought it would stop the oxidation but it didn’t. I washed MH 2x monthly and had professionally waxed every 6 months They did stand behind warranty sent tec out 3 times in 2 years to buff out oxidation and reseal. There is a limit on how many times they will do it. The last time I had it done was 3 days before I traded it in on new coach. This one has full body paint. The tec that came out said nothing is going to stop gel coat from oxidation Did not purchase on new MH

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:39 PM   #44

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
They offered me the "paint protection" when I bought my new coach at General RV. When they told me it was around $3,000.00 I had to walk away before I called them bad names while laughing.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #45

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: New Mexico
THOR #5168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Ok my 2015 Hurricane 34 J looks 20 years old. Faded horrible. Tan color is now 16 different shades. Wish I had to get the full body paint now so bad!

Question; Has anybody had there non full body paint motorhome painted? If so , where and how much did it cost?

Darren
We have the very same motorhome and problem and are currently in the midst of working with Thor for correction. Please contact Mr. Steve Tobias, Manager Warranty Department, with pictures. We drove to Wakarusa, Indiana to meet directly with Thor management to try to resolve our issue. Extertior composite tests were taken but no report yet. Join us to obtain full Thor correction.
Our unit was painted 4/17/2015 #32998 and had the partial paint with HD Max coating.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:05 AM   #46

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: New Mexico
THOR #5168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Ok my 2015 Hurricane 34 J looks 20 years old. Faded horrible. Tan color is now 16 different shades. Wish I had to get the full body paint now so bad!

Question; Has anybody had there non full body paint motorhome painted? If so , where and how much did it cost?

Darren
We have the very same motorhome, same issue and are working with Thor. We drove to Wakarusa, Indiana to work with the Warranty Dept. No resolution yet. Would love to share information with you on efforts to obtain fair repair resolution. Peggy Warner
Old 10-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #47

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
My comments will probably fly in the face of most other opinions. I do not wax my RV...I do not wax my cars. I periodically wash the RV to remove streaking and bugs...the same with my car. My first fiberglass class A was a '91 Holiday Rambler which I purchased in 2003. I washed and waxed it several times a year but still had sun fading. My first car was a 1960 Ford Falcon...it too faded no matter what I did.

Fast forward to today...my Brother-In-Law washes/waxes his 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe almost weekly and always keeps it in his garage. My 2010 Ford Edge has never been waxed and rarely washed and lives in my driveway...rarely garaged. Both of these cars were purchased new and neither show ANY physical signs of aging.

The point of all this...the newer paint used today is amazing in it's ability to hold up under severe sun exposure. That is why I bought the "full body paint" option when purchasing my new Miramar in 2016. I just don't believe it "requires" waxing.

I admit I sometimes wash it down and squeegee it off to remove water spots when I want to "show" it off, but it doesn't make the paint last longer.

"Full body paint", without decals, should last the life of the coach. At least that is my opinion.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #48

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
Paint

I agree with Miramar. I have not waxed any of my vehicles in over 25 years with no notice of fading. Buffing only removes the paint layers or the clear coat if it has one. If you buff past the clear coat or into the primer, new paint is the solution.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:50 AM   #49

State: Alabama
THOR #12091
True story on the quality of modern paint these days. Even though I wax my vehicles a couple times a year I don’t ever use a power buffer. I use carnuba wax and micro fiber by hand. The advantage I see to waxing is the sealing and that water, dirt and bugs are easier to remove on a simple rinse and wipe.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:12 AM   #50

THOR #8995
Paint

Dilly-Dilly, I also agree with you about the paint easier to clean just like Rain-X makes windshields easy to clean.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:13 AM   #51

THOR #8995
Paint

Sorry, I meant Dilley-Dilley
Old 11-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #52

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Windsport - NO SWOOSHES!

I finally gave in and had my 2015 Windsport 27K painted. Opted to have it painted the original beige color with no decals. It was done by RV Clearcoat in Plant City FL. The cost was 5-figures.

I couldn't be happier! You can literally see your reflection in the paint. And I don't miss the swirls and swooshes at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1262.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	13962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	13963  

Old 11-11-2018, 01:44 AM   #53

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1281
You should be happy you didn't get it done. My whole coach is faded and multiple colors of grayish tan. It looks 20 years old
Old 11-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #54

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Looks great. Now you need to fill up that giant rolling void with something pleasing. What could be more pleasing than driving around in a money maker?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment_80781506[1].jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	13986  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #55

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Paint

I've used waterless cleaners for many years, Protect All back in the 80s thru 2000s been using Wash Wax All for 10 yrs now. No water so I can clean while in campgrounds,easy to apply,leaves a very slick finish easy to keep up.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #56

THOR #5392
I like your paint job on your Thor...can ya be a lil more specific on cost for the paint job...my Vegas needs it’s badly.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #57

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
It wasn't an option but the standard full body paint on the Super C adds $24K to the cost versus stickers.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #58

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieBoxer View Post
I like your paint job on your Thor...can ya be a lil more specific on cost for the paint job...my Vegas needs it’s badly.
I sent you a PM reply, but the general answer is it cost $13K for the whole process from stripping and priming to the single-stage paint. I am extremely pleased. Gave it the first waxing in April and the DW can fix her hair by just looking at the side of the RV!
Old 06-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #59

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The "no tribal stripe" look is classic!! I think it was "gmtech" on here a while back that painted his solid white...plus a whole lot more mods...but it really looked sleek!! 13K isn't a bad price at all. Nice job!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #60

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
these high dollar quotes for paint....
I'm not so sure an "automotive" quality paint job is absolutely necessary...it's nice, sure
and Tom n3nqf's no stripe job looks spectacular for sure
but I wonder if a good job with some marine paint would be good enough.