Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #10302
Microwave No Longer Gen Powered

Thor Challenger 37 KT

While on a recent run we stopped in a Walmart parking lot for lunch and fired up the generator to make popcorn. We also ran the two AC units at the same time and a TV. (A bit much?) The microwave power went out. The microwave still Powers up with shore power. I can't track down what could have tripped that it now won't come on under generator power. Any ideas?

Old 02-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Welcome to the forum.

Other than that.....crickets. I have no idea what it could be other than a tripped breaker or blown fuse.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That sounds really odd: If a breaker tripped the microwave wouldn't run at all. Can't be a bad transfer switch as nothing would run on genny.

Are you sure its on genny only and not something else (some RV's have a demand power switch between the water heater and the microwave to minimize power: when you turn on the microwave electricity to the water heater turns off).

Could also be a loose connection somewhere.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Your generator powers two electrical legs at panel. First thing I'd check working backwards is to confirm that other items on the microwave side of panel are getting power and run OK. I'd first want to know if problem is isolated to microwave only or if it involves anything else.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I think chance is on the right track. Do both ACs still run on generator? Sounds like you lost one of the 2 legs from the generator either from a breaker at the generator or a bad connection at the transfer switch (naaaaaw, that'd never happen with a Thor product).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Having had many mysteries myself, I have found that the simplest answer is usually the right one. If you can run 2 AC units at the same time you obviously have a generator that has 2 circuit breakers on the generator itself. Remove the generator cover and look for 2 'light switch' type switches. With the genny off, flip with switches off then back on. This may not fix your problem but it is easy and free to find out.

I can't tell you the number of times I was "sure" of something to only have to say well I "thougt" it was. The mind is an amazing thing and we can often fool ourselves in trusting our memory. That's why I always say "check the simplest things first".

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, it sounds like one 'side' of your dual breaker on the generator is tripped, and YES, it does have two although you may only see ONE(a second breaker is sometimes hidden under the generator cover).... first, try manually tripping the main generator breaker on the generator itself, then flip it back on.(you can even do this while it is running)... now you should have power to all outlets and ac units within your coach.
if not, you may have to uncover the secondary generator breaker and do the same.

what can cause this?

your generator has a certain amount of 'output' power, and it shares that output Amperage with two 'hot' lines, split back to your breaker box. Each 'hot line' SIDE takes care of a certain number of items/breakers, with some items/outlets/air conditioner on ONE side, and the other items/outlets/air conditioner on the other side. IF you use an air conditioner and the microwave at the same time, you could trip THAT side of the generator's dual breakers. You may think that you have enough Amperage from the generator to run both items at the same time, and you probably DO, but you probably ALSO have other items running on that side that you may not be thinking about - Water Heater, Battery Charger, etc. These can be large draw items if they are ramping up usage at the same time.

To combat this, in times when you are running both AC units and other things while on the generator, use your MAGNUM Inverter panel's 'SHORE' button - turn it down to 5 or 10, and push in the large round knob to SET it to this number. Now, the Charger will only use this amount of amps. Also, turn off the 'Electric' side of your Water Heater, if it is also on.

This gives you the most amps from the generator to use for all the 'necessary' items you need when in this situation. When you get back to 'normal', then you can reset the SHORE button setting to 30a, which is standard, or even higher if you need the batteries to be charged faster, or less if you don't need to worry about the batteries charging fast. 5 or 10 is a 'trickle' charge, similar to your Alternator's charge output when driving, and 50 or 60 would be for 'really' immediate and full charging very quickly, but little room to power anything else while the charger is in it's BULK mode, otherwise you could then also trip a breaker. : )

fun, ain't it?! : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote