Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 12:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12897
Generator Door Won't Open, Am I missing Something? Please any advice welcome!

Have a freedom elite 2018 29fe - generator quits while driving. Took it to Camping world last March, had it for 10 days, could not replicate problem. I have brought it up with again when in for other warranty work, but still no resolution so have been living with it. Still happening so when I went to look at fault codes, oil after reading other forum posts, I could not open the generator door! The chassis of the RV seems to be blocking access and not properly lined up with generator. CW told me to call Thor on Monday to see if they can send schematic for relocating generator. What? New RV, CW should have seen when they did initial problem evaluation last year - which indicates they didn't do it right if at all. Am I missing something in opening the generator door? Feel like an idiot. Onan 4000 4KY. Any suggestions really appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190223_090359.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	15823   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190223_090348.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	15824  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190223_084550.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	15825  

Old 02-24-2019, 01:12 AM   #2

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
After turning the latch to the open position, instead of trying to let the door fall toward you from the top, keep it closer to the genset and push the door up to release it from the bottom. Then after the bottom part is free allow it to drop between the MH door frame and the genset frame before trying to extract it. At this point you should be able to remove the cover from the compartment.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:16 AM   #3

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhj4510 View Post
Have a freedom elite 2018 29fe - generator quits while driving. Took it to Camping world last March, had it for 10 days, could not replicate problem. I have brought it up with again when in for other warranty work, but still no resolution so have been living with it. Still happening so when I went to look at fault codes, oil after reading other forum posts, I could not open the generator door! The chassis of the RV seems to be blocking access and not properly lined up with generator. CW told me to call Thor on Monday to see if they can send schematic for relocating generator. What? New RV, CW should have seen when they did initial problem evaluation last year - which indicates they didn't do it right if at all. Am I missing something in opening the generator door? Feel like an idiot. Onan 4000 4KY. Any suggestions really appreciated! Thanks!

I had the same problem, CW here in Texas fixed. In the tech notes it said factory mistake, so lowered the generator & repositioned it. Sounds like there must be multiple mounting holes.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:28 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
After turning the latch to the open position, instead of trying to let the door fall toward you from the top, keep it closer to the genset and push the door up to release it from the bottom. Then after the bottom part is free allow it to drop between the MH door frame and the genset frame before trying to extract it. At this point you should be able to remove the cover from the compartment.
This is the exact "operation" that we have to do on our VEGAS and ONAN.

And after having to get the carb replaced last year, we have had LOTS of experience in removing the door/cover.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:34 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
I can vouch. My 31E is similar. Rather a pain to remove.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:48 AM   #6

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
If you can get it open then the real problem will need to be addressed. There are a number of things that could cause the gen to shut down. The first is mentioned in the manuals, the oil level being too low. (Probably unlikely.) A breakdown of the spark plug (4kw normally has only one cylinder) after it gets hot has been a cause of the same issue. More unlikely on a newer genset would be a fuel pump that breaks down after it reaches normal operating temperature. Likewise, an ignition module intermittent failure. Unless you are a pretty good mechanic (knowledgeable and NIMBLE) you might want to consider a Cummings/Onan service center, rather than an RV repair shop. If it is still in warranty, look for an Authorized Cummings service center. My guess is that they would get you serviced within a couple of days. (I used to work for one about 30 years ago)
Old 02-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #7

THOR #12897
Thanks SO much for your replies! Good advice and I will follow through with what y'all suggest. I'm not a mechanic so will contact Onan. Also read here position of genny too close to front tire causing overheat. Saga continues. At least not a complete idiot, THANKS!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
The door solution is posted above and I second it. Same unit as you have. As to the shut down while driving, road heat and the extreme heat from the V-10 is being sucked into your generator. The fix is to modify the generator compartment door to allow air that does not come from below (hot air) to enter the generator fan intake. Companies other than Thor have a fix kit for this and can be used on the Thor. Forrest River is one of those. It provides a duct and opening modification to do so.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

THOR #12897
Door solution worked! Thanks to all!
Old 02-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
im rather skeptical of the overheat solution. I drove to payson AZ and back in August with 110 dessert temps. generator never shut down while driving, getting gas/food etc until i shut it down. my dog overheated before the generator did.