Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2015, 01:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1778
Generator no start Four Winds 22E

We have had our 2015 Four Winds 22E for 3 weeks now, took it dry camping during the first week. We started the generator and it ran for maybe 3 min and died with no restart. We had just filled the tank so it wasn't the 1/4 tank no start. After returning home I opened the generator up, took off the air cleaner and sprayed starting fluid into the carb. The generator started and ran as long as I kept spraying. So, I tested the fuel pump by disconnecting the inlet, adding a hose and drawing from a gas can on the ground the unit started and ran constantly, until a chose to shut it down. I traced the fuel line as far back as the top of the fuel tank, but could not feel or see where it enters the fuel tank.

Has anyone ran across this? What was the result?

Thanks.

Briarcrk

P.S. Onan warrantee service will not touch it if the problem is with the Motor Home.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:56 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Onan had a run of bad fuel pumps. I took my Axis to a Onan/Cummins shop and they had it swapped out in about 15 minutes.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #3

THOR #1778
Would that keep it from drawing from the tank, since it worked from a separate gas can?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Perhaps you have the common gas tank vent problem that seems to plague many Class Cs.

In many coaches, the filler neck somehow gets twisted during the build, which twists both the fill and vent tube to the tank, which makes it hard to fuel as there is not an adequate vent.

So, first. Do you have any issues with easily being able to fill the tank with gas?

Second, try to start the genny with the gas tank fill cap off... perhaps that might let more air into the tank.

I don't think this is as much a problem with the engine as there is a fuel pump in the tank to deliver fuel, but I am assuming with the genny it's just suction feed. So if there is inadequate venting (and venting is an issue on some Thor Class C's), that might be the culprit.

Also, since Thor inserts the genny fuel line into the tank, it would not be hard to imagine they did not get it in far enough. That might not be the problem though as the engine should not even start if the tank level is too low, and especially since you just filled the tank.

Running for 3 minutes sounds more like a venting issue. I remember having this problem once on my portable Honda EU2000 genny. I started it and walked away - a few minutes later it quit. After I discovered the genny quit, I noticed I forgot to open the gas tank vent on the filler cap.

But it is just a hunch.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarcrk View Post
Would that keep it from drawing from the tank, since it worked from a separate gas can?
Not sure where your generator is in relationship to the fuel tank, however, low suction on the fuel pump can cause the problem. I believe Onan's prior problem was a seal on the pump was causing it to suck air and it couldn't pull enough fuel from the tank to keep the generator running.

I, along with many others, had the fuel pump issue on my prior class C's generator. I talked to the dealer who had me check a couple of things and then told me to bring it in for service. They replaced the fuel pump and filter and I didn't have any problems after the repair. This was an Onan/Cummins problem and not related to a particular RV manufacturer.

Does your generator have a smart panel that flashes error codes after you have reached the starting attempt limit? On mine after I held the switch in the start mode for ~ 30 seconds the starter would stop and the generator control panel would flash an error code. The Onan manual provided a list of the codes and possible problems.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:19 AM   #6

THOR #1778
It turned out to be a kinked fuel line, it only kinked once the pump was hooked up.

Briarcrk
Old 08-28-2015, 01:39 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31g Bunk House
State: New Jersey
THOR #2752
Can anyone help. My Onan gen. was working until I shut it down to fuel up. Now it only kicks over and then shuts off. The error code was 47. The Tank is full. The house batteries are brand new.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:03 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittakerd View Post
Can anyone help. My Onan gen. was working until I shut it down to fuel up. Now it only kicks over and then shuts off. The error code was 47. The Tank is full. The house batteries are brand new.
It appears fault code 47 is a magneto problem. You may want to call Onan for the nearest service center. Onan's number is 800-888-6626.

Here is the excerpt from the manual

IGNITION FAULT – FAULT CODE 47

WARNING Some genset service procedures present hazards that can result in severe personal injury
or death. Only trained and experienced persons with knowledge of fuels, electricity, and machinery
hazards should perform genset service. See Safety Precautions.

Logic:
HGJAB, C – No ignition signal at P1–15 for 1 continuous second
HGJAA – No ignition signal at P1–5 for 1 continuous second
HGJAD, E, F prior to 2004 – No ignition signal at P1–5 for 1 continuous second
HGJAD, E, F after 2004 in Engine Run Only mode only – No ignition signal at P1–5 for continuous second
Possible Causes:
Wire connections, windings, ignition system, generator drive system
Diagnosis & Repair:
1. Verify that Last Fault is FC 47: Yes, continue diagnosis; No, troubleshoot actual last fault.
2. Alternating FC 47 and FC 37: Magneto gap too wide: reset magneto gap, retest.
3. Test Magnetos
A. Disconnect Connector P1.
B. Connect positive(+) meter lead to chassis ground.
C. HGJAA, D, E, F – Measure continuity to negative lead at pin P1–4 and P1–5: replace magnetos as
necessary.
D. HGJAB, C – Measure continuity to negative lead at pin P1–15 and P1–20: replace magnetos as necessary.
4. HGJAD only – Run genset in Engine Run Only and externally excite field with 12 VDC or 24 VDC and
measure main and quadrature winding AC output.
5. Non EFI only – If the genset will not stay running measure genset frequency, quadrature winding and
main winding voltages using Break-Out Tool 420–0603 and Instruction Sheet R1098.
6. Measure AC frequency while changing engine rpm to determine if frequency response matches engine
rpm response: repair damaged generator drive system as necessary.
7. Measure field, quadrature and main winding resistance: clean slip rings, replace brushes, repair harness
and replace rotor or stator as necessary.
8. Measure field, quadrature and main winding resistance to ground: clean slip rings, replace brushes, repair
harness and replace rotor or stator as necessary.
9. Measure field, quadrature and main winding resistance to each other: clean slip rings, replace brushes,
repair harness and replace rotor or stator as necessary.
10. Check brush alignment per PSB-682a.
11. Verify that spark plug cables are secure on spark plugs: reconnect or replace as necessary.
12. Inspect ignition kill leads in harness and at connector P1: repair or replace lead, terminal or pins as necessary.
13. Measure spark plug gap: set gap or replace spark plugs as necessary.
14. Verify ignition spark condition.
15. Inspect spark plug lead, kill lead terminal at magneto and measure magneto air gap: replace terminals,
set gap or replace magnetos as necessary.

16. Dealers contact Distributor for technical support, Distributors contact factory for technical support.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31g Bunk House
State: New Jersey
THOR #2752
Thank you