Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Generator Oil Change

Help! I thought I would save a few dollars and change the oil in my new Miramar, Onan 5500 generator myself and from what I have read it looks pretty simple. The problem...I CAN NOT remove the filter. The first wrench I bought from Cummins and it actually broke (made of cast aluminum). The next one I purchased from O'Reilly Auto parts and it keeps slipping. You can only see about an 1 1/2 of the filter at the bottom.

Anyone have any answers on how to loosen it or do I just give up and take it in.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
Hmmmm - I have changed many, but on the 7000 and 4000. Never had any issues- always used a wrench I had - got from an auto parts store - that holds on to the bottom of the filter. You SHOULD be able to do it ......

Have had some filters that I either didn't have a wrench for or didn't want to come off - last resort is to drive a screwdriver thru it take it off that way. That has ALWAYS worked! . Channel lock pliers ,or even a pipe wrench can also work if you have space to get in there.

Good luck - don't give up !
Old 04-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #3

THOR #4488
The wrench I have goes on the bottom. The problem with the Onan filter is the indentations the wrench is supposed to slip onto are not very big and the wrench just slips around the filter. I have used the screw driver method but usually up closer to where the filter threads on but I can't get to it on the generator. I was wondering about those rubber wrenches ...maybe they would grip better.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #4

THOR #4488
I did it!!!!! I found a pair of Oil Filter Pliers at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. It is a slip joint, jaw tooth pliers angled at 20 degrees. This allowed me to get ahold of it at the end. The harder I pushed the tighter it gripped...

I have concluded these are much better than those that slip over the bottom for these small filters.

Stan, thanks for the encouragement...that's what made me decide to try it again.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #5

THOR #1812
Cool ! I have also had problems with the filter ends - and there are also a lot of different sizes. But, you would expect the one you got from Onan to work ! Take it back !

Follow directions on installing the new one and it should come off much better. They don't really need to be super tight!
Old 06-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #7434
Does anyone know what oil filter I can use onan the owning brand. I am on the road and don't have the part number to another brand filter or even the onan brand.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The biggest reason oil filters get stuck is not preoiling the rubber filter gasket. For filters that install vertically I always refill with oil before installing.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
They over tighten the oil filter at the factory and don't put oil around the seal. When you put your new one on, it only needs to be hand tight (a good twist) and then you won't have that problem anymore.

Oil Filter: 0122-0836
Oil: SAE 15W-40 ONAMAX
Old 06-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Little Oil Filters

There is also a specific filter wrench that can either have two or three ratchets that grab the bottom of the filter and twist with a 3/8 ratchet wrench. They tighten on the filter as you loosen. Don't forget to put a coating of oil on the filter gasket before installing the new one!!!!
Old 06-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #10

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
When manuals say not to over tighten oil filters they mean it. I was in a bind and had to use one of those "quicky" oil change places for my SUV recently for two oil changes in a row. On the second one they couldn't get filter off. They said someone over tightened it. When they found out it was them they didn't know what to say.

Took it to dealer. They couldn't get it off and had to break housing. It wasn't that expensive and the "quicky" place paid the bill.

Moral of my story. I change oil in everything I have, except the SUV, and it will always be done at the dealer. I know how tight my filters are put on because I'm the one doing it.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #11

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
I've had good results with this filter wrench. 3/8 ratchet fits the bottom https://www.craftsman.com/products/c...r-wrench-sears

1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Did ours today; looked every where and searched the net....turns out there is no oil filter on onan 4000 ky. It's got air filter and fuel filter but no oil filter.
Least I don't have to worry about a filter wrench.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:11 AM   #13

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Gotta love the “no filter” Onan.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:40 AM   #14

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
I've had good results with this filter wrench. 3/8 ratchet fits the bottom https://www.craftsman.com/products/c...r-wrench-sears

That IS the best design for the little filters.... I tried to get a glued on filter off my daughter's 2014 Jeep Cherokee with the 2.4 litre engine ( I didn't change it the last time...) This kind of filter wrench finally did it. Of course our 4000 Cummins/Onan has no filter....
Old 11-04-2017, 02:26 AM   #15

THOR #1812
It turns out MOST ( not all ) 4000 Onans have no oil filter because they do not have a pressurized oil system - they use the “ splash “ oiling system. Surprised me - I have a lot of bad memories of old Chevy 6s with splash oiling.....😡. Oh, well - I guess they are pretty reliable......