Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2019, 12:54 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
the sound..could it be the fuel pump you're hearing?

Often when my onan 4000 dies like that...or when I crank the starter with too little priming and then it faults.

check the manual there's prob more to it than I can remember... but there's a fault code procedure. press and release stop and it'll flash the code...but if you press and hold like when priming, it clears the code...sometimes I have to putz with it like that a bit..maybe prime it a bit more... then it'll crank again.

There have been times when the battery was low-ish that it would crank a bit then fault because it was spinning too slow. Starting the chassis engine as other advised connects the chassis system to the house...but only IF your BIRD system is working correctly. Try pressing the emergency start button with nothing running. Do you hear the relay pull in? If so it probably is...and the alternator will increase the voltage to turn the starter faster. Bit the fault still needs to be cleared before it'll turn over.

oh, i've had times when it might bump over a bit then stop before it does, like it's jammed up. I have to try a few times to prime or clear faults, then try again and it'll crank just like it's supposed to.

basically I find my self putzing with the start stop switch all the time to get it to turn over.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #22

State: Texas
THOR #16641
The batteries usually are under steps into the coach try hooking a jumper to them and try to start it also check the fuse on the battery
Check the battery at the battery terminals with a volt meter have someone try to start the generator while the volt meter is attached if it drops below 10 volts the battery may be bad m
Most automotive stores will check your battery free
Old 09-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #12227
Gen

No doubt you have already checked, but just in case … I had a problem with my generator after 1st using the unit. It started and then immediately died. Amperage was Ok etc. Turned out I was low on fuel and if you are below approx. 1/3 a tank it wont run. For safety reasons of course. Anyway, I did not know this at the time. Anyway, good luck.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #24

Model: Outlaw
State: Georgia
THOR #16634
Thanks all. I tried everything except batteries. I did take it to shop near Atlanta. Hoping it’s a quick easy fix. Learned a lot!
Old 09-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #25

THOR #16634
Thanks, I did see that I needed a min supposedly 1/4 tank or more and I did have that. It's likely the batteries since I feel I have followed through with all the other ideas. It's in the shop hope it's not a fortune to figure out.
Dee
Old 09-16-2019, 07:52 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
By any chance: did you check to make sure that all of the connections were tight?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #27

THOR #16634
Unhappy Generator Problem

Hi all, my rig has been in the shop for two weeks. Today they told me the generator engine is bad. I am really hopefully that the expensive warranty I purchased covers this. Guess I fill find out soon enough. I am beyond stressed and sad.

Thanks for all your input in trying to help me fix it. I DO appreciate you all!

Dee
Old 09-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
My first question would be: "How did that happen?"
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #29

THOR #16634
16ACE27
I have no idea. I turned it on while loading up stuff and it shut off after a few minutes. My question is if it has all these auto turn off features when there is a problem, then why didn't that kick in?
Dee
Old 09-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #30
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dede View Post
16ACE27
I have no idea. I turned it on while loading up stuff and it shut off after a few minutes. My question is if it has all these auto turn off features when there is a problem, then why didn't that kick in?
Dee
I agree, but really, the question on how it happened is what you should be asking the dealer. Also, Why do you need a new generator? Why can't the one you have be fixed? What exactly is damaged on the generator? All questions the service department should be able to answer for you.

If you took the coach to an automotive shop and they told you you needed a new engine wouldn't you want to know why they came to that conclusion?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #31

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The guy at Cummins/Onan told me...80% of generator engine failure they see is directly related to owners not checking oil levels regularly/running them low on oil and second, not changing oil....ever. They do oil sample analysis on all failures and he said the percentage of metal and carbon in the oils are beyond overboard. I would ask for an oil sample report...it reveals tons of good info.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #32

THOR #16634
I did ask about the oil and they "said" it wasn't that. They aren't very forthcoming. The warranty asks for receipts. We will see if they accept my receipt from Auto Store. Less than 140 hours on generator......

Can I replace need for generator with Solar?
Old 09-27-2019, 04:19 AM   #33

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
You CAN (Anything is possible with enough time and money.) But a better question is would it be worth the investment? For example, some things would require not much power like TV's or a laptop. That can be done for a few hundred on a inverter and panels. However, on the other side of the spectrum, If you wanted to run the AC or microwave, IF it works at all, that's going to require you to pull literally 100 to 150 amps though an inverter from your house batteries. Now we're talking thousands in solar costs and maybe one thousand or more for the inverter.

If I were in your shoes, First I'd first get some foot deodorant, Then look into getting a small honda generator as a backup and just plugging the shore power into that.

It really just depends on how you camp and if the camps have power poles or you do a lot of boondocking.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #34

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. I couldn't imagine not having a generator for a coach system that was designed for one. I do carry a portable Champion 3400 everywhere with us on the rear hitch carrier or trailer...but it's just a back up to the backup. We were in Blue Ridge, GA a few weeks ago and they experienced a huge power outage that included the CG. It was hot and very humid. Most that had generators cranked them up. There were a few campers that either didn't have enough fuel in their tanks to run generator or trailer campers that didn't have generators. A small portable as a back up keeps life comfortable and wives and pets happy. I used the 3400 for a few hours to run one A/C. Had it been a long-term outage, my fuel tank was full and I would have used the house unit. Replace the generator...JMHO.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:51 PM   #35

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Tennessee
THOR #5918
I'm a bit confused about WHICH generator is being discussed. I, too, am having a problem with the Onan generator. In my case, the Generator start switch on the panel in the cockpit will not start the Onan generator. It does start with the switch on the panel in the rear of the '16 Windsport 31S, and the start switch on the generator itself. I checked the oil and it was a little low, so I filled it. (BTW there is no filter on the Onan 4000 gennie.) The gennie has over 115 hours and was started with that switch less than a month ago. I haven't looked for a CB on either of the "Chassis" panels. Any ideas?
Old 09-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #36

Model: ACE
State: California
THOR #16147
We have a 2018 Thor ACE and the generator keeps coming on even though we r not running anything other then fridge. We r in a campsite that has generator restrictions and husband had to disconnect the generator completely so it wouldn't turn on thro8the night.
What r we missing as the problem?
Old 09-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #37

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWare View Post
I'm a bit confused about WHICH generator is being discussed. I, too, am having a problem with the Onan generator. In my case, the Generator start switch on the panel in the cockpit will not start the Onan generator. It does start with the switch on the panel in the rear of the '16 Windsport 31S, and the start switch on the generator itself. I checked the oil and it was a little low, so I filled it. (BTW there is no filter on the Onan 4000 gennie.) The gennie has over 115 hours and was started with that switch less than a month ago. I haven't looked for a CB on either of the "Chassis" panels. Any ideas?

I don’t know your coach specifics, but I would expect that any remote gen start switches would be parallel wired together back to the generator such that any one of the remote switches being operated could prime/start/shut off the gen. Sometimes there is a Y cable terminating at the gen end that would run out to the remote switches from the small electronic control unit. The other thing could be that a wire has just come off the failed remote switches perhaps; or the problem switch itself may have a problem.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #38

THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caccherone@gmail.com View Post
We have a 2018 Thor ACE and the generator keeps coming on even though we r not running anything other then fridge. We r in a campsite that has generator restrictions and husband had to disconnect the generator completely so it wouldn't turn on thro8the night.
What r we missing as the problem?

Does your coach have an auto gen start system installed? If so it probably needs to be set up to start/run under certain battery, coach temp, time of day or other assignable parameters.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #39

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Tennessee
THOR #5918
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Does your coach have an auto gen start system installed? If so it probably needs to be set up to start/run under certain battery, coach temp, time of day or other assignable parameters.
Thanks, No, we do not have an AGS, though sometimes I think it might be nice. I've checked all the circuit breakers I can find, with the exception of the panel under the hood and all that I can test with the voltmeter are fine. There's a panel forward and left of the brake pedal that is designated "THOR", so I was suspecting a CB in there, but as mentioned all checked good. I'm suspecting now the switch on the panel in the cockpit, but I'm not sure I can get to it. I have the "Disk" with a troubleshooting guide, but nothing refers to my situation! While checking the starter solenoid, I tried to remove the air filter. IMPOSSIBLE!! And as mentioned before there is NO oil filter!! This is my third motorhome with Onan generators, but the others were at least maintainable by the owner.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #40

THOR #2631
Hi BWare I think you are confused on which answer I directed to you as there was another poster complaining about their gen starting by itself. Your issue I think is probably a bad connection related to the Y cable connection at the gen end controller or at the actual gen switch location that does not start the gen.

I guess this is what sometimes happens when other troubles get added to the original post......really new troubles should start their own thread for clarity.

Tags
generator