Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
The one that surprised me is the inverter... Even with no load they draw significant parisitic current.
true, like any device that requires power to be 'ready' to do it's job, it will have a slight draw.

while the RV in question may not have an inverter, Inverters are not all the same, even for those of us who do have one... some are for the residential fridge only, and therefore probably are wired directly to the battery bank - if you don't turn it off, it will continue, even if the salesman's switch is OFF.
On mine, the Magnum inverter provides power back to a sub-panel, for all outlets, including the fridge, microwave, etc... but the salesman's switch DOES turn it off.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #22

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
The one that surprised me is the inverter being direct connected rather than after the switch. Makes sense given the currents involved but it's easy to leave it on. Even with no load they draw significant parisitic current.
This is odd. I wonder if its hooked up correctly? I installed an inverter on mine but when I put switch in store position the lights go off on the inverter switch so I know its dead as well.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
One time (Before I had to replace the cheap OEM batteries) the coach batteries went dead enough I could not crank the Genny, so I crank the Chassis engine - let it run for 15 minutes then I was able to crank up the Genny just fine. Shortly afterwards I replaced my OEM batteries - they would not hold charge.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #24

THOR #4735
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
This is odd. I wonder if its hooked up correctly? I installed an inverter on mine but when I put switch in store position the lights go off on the inverter switch so I know its dead as well.

I think it has to do with 'how' you wired the inverter to the battery bank - depending on whether you went 'direct' to the batteries, or through the same channels as the other 12v items...

It probably matters not whether it's done one way or the other, tho
Old 10-18-2018, 11:46 PM   #25

Model: Four Winds
THOR #8717
So TurnerFam, to make sure I understand, I would need to press and hold the "Emerg. Start" button and at the same time press and hold the "Gen Start" button (both on the dash) and the generator should crank using either the chassis or coach batteries, whichever are charged.

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful info!
Dan
Old 10-19-2018, 12:34 AM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny boy View Post
So TurnerFam, to make sure I understand, I would need to press and hold the "Emerg. Start" button and at the same time press and hold the "Gen Start" button (both on the dash) and the generator should crank using either the chassis or coach batteries, whichever are charged.

Dan
That's what I said in post #9.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:40 AM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
I had the same issue with mine all going dead. I had the switching unit checked and it is supposed to work both directions, according to the dealer, but mine was only working in one direction. They are replacing it.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:24 AM   #28
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
A that point wouldn't it be better just starting the unit and getting a charge on house batteries to start generator? Why risk draining chassis battery also? Now your stuck? Just wondering..
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
A that point wouldn't it be better just starting the unit and getting a charge on house batteries to start generator? Why risk draining chassis battery also? Now your stuck? Just wondering..
Actually: If you're trying to start the genny its better to start the main engine anyway--just like jumping a car you have the "donor's" engine running.

If you were going the other way it would be the same, sort of, you'd start the genny and let it run a while before "jumping".
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3721
My 25.2 also never starts off the emergency button. I was told that my wiring was messed up at the factory and is a common problem. I have had to jump start the coach battery ten or so times in the three years I have owned it because it goes dead if I don't start and run the engine every couple of weeks.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #31

State: Wisconsin
THOR #9646
2008 thor hurricane 34 ft.

My generator on thor hurricane 2008 runs for awhile then just shuts off?? Changed fuel pump and still does same. Anyone else have this problem and find a cure??
Old 10-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 34f
State: North Carolina
THOR #13454
How to jump start your generator batteries

I recently purchased a Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Peak Amp 12V Jump Starte from Amazon. Once you give it a charge by plugging it into a 110v, you store it in one of your bins and you will never have to deal with a dead battery again. My neighbor had one. I ran my house batteries down somehow. He brought it over and hooked it up and my generator turned right over.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #33

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny boy View Post

Dan
This was addressed I think, you need to hold down the switch for at least 30 seconds and then try to start the gen
Old 10-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #34

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by f troop 8th cav View Post
My 25.2 also never starts off the emergency button. I was told that my wiring was messed up at the factory and is a common problem. I have had to jump start the coach battery ten or so times in the three years I have owned it because it goes dead if I don't start and run the engine every couple of weeks.
Common cause is the relay, mine was bad right off the lot
It was a Trombetta
Old 10-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #35

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlonerg View Post
We went dry camping this summer, once at a state park. After one night in the morning our coach batteries were both dead and the engine battery also dead. This is a 2017 camper and I don't see why this would happen. Fortunately we were able to get a jump start at the campgrounds to get home. When my husband did a battery check on the water in the batteries, two cells were very low. He feels the batteries need replacing. I know we must have kept the water pump on all night because we had a small child with us and a night light for him to get him to sleep. Would that have totally drained all three batteries?
I, too, have a 2017 (Vegas-24.1) that was purchased new on 8/2018. Both house batteries were Interstate Deep-Cycle type, but only lasted a month. Both had cells that were dry or very low when I checked.
Bottomline...that batteries you have were bad and must be replaced for peace of mind.
A good replacement is COSTCO or Sams Club.
Keep the receipt, turn them in before 36 months and get two new one's.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:55 AM   #36
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
If the engine is running, all batteries should be charging from the alternator. There are at least two trip switches to check .. one in the engine compartment and one near the house batteries. At least that's where they are on my 2016 24.1 Vegas. They kinda look like this:

But yah if the engine is running, the generator should crank ... if it's not getting 12v, then something along the way is disconnected or tripping.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:03 AM   #37

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #12227
Had a quick browse through your responses. I didn't see anyone ask you if you had enough fuel/gas in your tank. I found this out the hard way in the beginning. If you gas tank is about 1/3 empty your generator will not start. This is a safety feature.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #38

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1281
I have had the same issue. Battery control center has 2 cellonids, a circuit breaker and a small fuse. My bcc was wired wrong by Thor. Called the bcc manufacturer and they walked me through the rewire. Also the radio-camera was wired wrong. Power should be wired to ignition switch. Was wired to house battery and caused a major drain and over heating and failure of radio. I found the problem after second radio replacement. Thor and camping world were of no help at all.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:03 AM   #39

Model: 25.2 Vegas
State: Vermont
THOR #12683
Frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle View Post
Had a quick browse through your responses. I didn't see anyone ask you if you had enough fuel/gas in your tank. I found this out the hard way in the beginning. If you gas tank is about 1/3 empty your generator will not start. This is a safety feature.

Camping World told us that we would should never get below 1/4 tank gas and try to run the generator. We have always tried with just over a 1/2 tank and with a full tank. My husband says we need to replace the batteries come Spring. Our back up camera hasn't worked only a few times since we have been having issues with the batteries and the generator not starting easily. Thanks for the in put. dlonerg
Old 10-30-2018, 12:35 AM   #40

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
In a little experiment this week i found my generator will run with 50/55 gallons gone. Good to know for my rig. The line must have slipped down.