Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2019, 12:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Generator shutting off

When I start my generator it shuts off in about 5 to 10 seconds. The priming light blinks intermittently. I can restart it but the priming light blinks continuously and the generator will not charge. Does anybody have any suggestions

Old 11-02-2019, 12:49 AM   #2

THOR #8931
By the way I have a 2018 Thor 37rb class A
Old 11-02-2019, 01:22 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I suggest you download a copy of the manual for your generator, go to the section on how to read error codes (your blinking light) and see what the generator is trying to tell you about the problem.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:42 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
when the thing kicks out on an error, the light will flash...and often it won't immediately respond to attempts to restart.
The flashes are a code...but I have never had any help from the codes.
To get it to clear, you have to press and hold the stop switch..Sometimes a couple times. Prime it a bit..then it'll crank again for attempted restart.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #5

THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
when the thing kicks out on an error, the light will flash...and often it won't immediately respond to attempts to restart.
The flashes are a code...but I have never had any help from the codes.
To get it to clear, you have to press and hold the stop switch..Sometimes a couple times. Prime it a bit..then it'll crank again for attempted restart.
Yes it does restart once it is clear. But there is no generator power coming to the coach. The microwave oven and outlets won't work. While it's running the light blinks
Old 11-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
check the breaker on the Generator itself, probably tripped, so therefore no power will be getting to your main breaker panel
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #7

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
It has to run for more than 5 or 10 seconds before it will make power.

Have you checked the oil? It will shut down when under/OVER full.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Did you download that manual yet?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #9
TMD

Model: Synergy Class C
State: Texas
THOR #16695
Ours did that and the Holiday World folks fixed it. It wasn't a big issue.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
I have that problem right now. I'm currently sitting hooked up to power at Cummins in Phoenix, waiting on an appt on Monday. My geni ran for about ten minutes, sometimes trippin off the breaker, sometimes not. It always flashed an error code. I spent 8 days trying to make due without the use of geni power. I finally drove it to a Blythe California company that said it was a warranty approved center. I had to pay them $176 up front, but all they did then was tell me I have a code 36 error (fuel related) & that since they let their permit lapse, I had to go elsewhere for the actual service! I was a bit shell shocked by such a scam. I finally spoke directly with customer service at Cummins (hq?), who referred me to their full service center in Phoenix. I got on the phone with Phoenix Cummins & told them the whole sad story. The folks at the Cummins center in Phoenix were very kind & offered to set me up for a weekend of power at their center, free of charge, untill they can get to my rig on Monday. Hopefully it will be an easy fix (not holding my breath). I'm very thankful with their customer service so far & the ability to cool my rig & use the microwave again.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #11

State: California
THOR #10065
I assume you have a Cummins/Onan generator. When it shuts off and the "primer" light is blinking -- press "off" a SINGLE time. Then watch the blinking light. It will do 2 codes by blinking. For example 2 blinks a slight pause and then 4 blinks -- that is code 2-4. It will keep repeating this code quite a few times so watch it and get the 2 digit code. Then go look it up in the manual or ask The Google.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo
State: Arizona
THOR #6404
Fuel level ?

You no doubt have considered this but my Onan 5500 will not operate if the coach fuel is below a quarter tank.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Idaho
THOR #5564
Gen Shutting Off

If you have a Gas generator that is drawing gas from the main fuel tank it will automatically shut off when the fuel level drops to a certain level in the main fuel tank. Usually this is at about one quarter tank.

2017 Windsport 29m
2017 Chev Colorado Crew Cab Diesel 4X4 Toad
pengoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Nevada
THOR #11264
Generator issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser123 View Post
When I start my generator it shuts off in about 5 to 10 seconds. The priming light blinks intermittently. I can restart it but the priming light blinks continuously and the generator will not charge. Does anybody have any suggestions
By any chance is your fuel tank less than 1/4 full? Ours shuts off at that level to save fuel for the engine. The generator will restart, then shut off at around 5 seconds. Hope you find an easy solution.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:57 AM   #15

THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn1 View Post
By any chance is your fuel tank less than 1/4 full? Ours shuts off at that level to save fuel for the engine. The generator will restart, then shut off at around 5 seconds. Hope you find an easy solution.
Plenty of gas in the tank. I am getting error code 14. that is a governor problem I believe. I will take it in for service next month. Will let you know how I make out
Old 11-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #16

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Alabama
THOR #5884
If it is an Onan, it will have sensors that will cut it off rather than let it continue to run and damage itself. There are several possible problems that can cause this issue. You can download a trouble shooting guide online, but it takes someone who really understands circuits to trouble shoot it. One of the most common causes is that the brushes are worn out. You will probably need to take it to the shop to diagnose.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:52 AM   #17

THOR #8931
Quote:
By the way I have a 2018 Thor 37rb class A
just an update on what was wrong with my generator. I was getting an error code of 14. I took it to the Cummins shop and they replace the carburetor. The generator is only two years old with a hundred 38 hours on it. But that solve the problem. it's just weird to me that a brand new generator would need a carburetor after 2 years.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:03 AM   #18

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Nevada
THOR #11264
Thank you for the follow up and best of luck!
Old 11-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #19

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
just an update on what was wrong with my generator. I was getting an error code of 14. I took it to the Cummins shop and they replace the carburetor. The generator is only two years old with a hundred 38 hours on it. But that solve the problem. it's just weird to me that a brand new generator would need a carburetor after 2 years.

Glad you resolved your problem and let the forum know. Unfortunately that solution probably meant fewer bucks in your wallet as well. I assume this was not just a bad carb from the manufacturer. You want to try to ensure this does not happen again by exercising the gen at least once a month for minimum 1 hour, under at least half full load if possible, so the fuel does not start to break down in the carb bowl etc. Load it with the air conditioner in season and use an electric heater off season for a load. I use fuel stabilizer in Fall (add to the gas tank) and then run the gen through a minimum 1 hour cycle to get the stabilizer into the carb. I also run the coach engine for a while as well. My old 2013 ACE (built 2012) survives occasional -40C = -40F and a long Winter nap, but so far has come out every camping season with good starts on both gen and engine. Seems to work for me at least.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #20

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
It has to run for more than 5 or 10 seconds before it will make power.

Have you checked the oil? It will shut down when under/OVER full.
I know you already have it fixed but wanted to second the oil over/under condition for others who may experience a shut down after ~20 seconds with only a general fault.
Shortly after having a generator warranty repair for loose flywheel bolts on our new RV, it would shut off. Searching the forum and others for cause led me to check the oil, which while on the "full mark" apparently is over full. I drained ~1/4 of a quart and it worked.