Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2018, 02:11 AM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #9982
Furnace fan

I have 2016 Axis and have issue with furnace not working/played with it today and got it working (crossing fingers here) and am curious about something. After furnace burner stops, fan continues blowing cold air/is it supposed to shut off till next time burner kicks on and starts blowing heat?

Old 01-02-2018, 02:26 AM   #2
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewpa View Post
I have 2016 Axis and have issue with furnace not working/played with it today and got it working (crossing fingers here) and am curious about something. After furnace burner stops, fan continues blowing cold air/is it supposed to shut off till next time burner kicks on and starts blowing heat?
Typically the fan will come on before the gas valve opens and burner ignites... And will continue to run for a bit after the burner turns off.

There may be a setting on thermostat that keeps the fan on?
Wouldn't expect it to run full time.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:31 AM   #3

Model: Citation 24SR
State: Kansas
THOR #9869
Need to turn your fan on thermostat to Auto... not Hi or Low
Old 01-02-2018, 02:42 AM   #4

THOR #9982
Thermostat is on auto but continues to blow. So in normal operation fan shuts off after several minutes after burner stops?
Old 01-02-2018, 02:44 AM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Fan will and is supposed to run on for 1 to 2 minutes after furnace shuts off, to cool the burner box. Furnace at home does the same.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:38 AM   #6

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Fan will and is supposed to run on for 1 to 2 minutes after furnace shuts off, to cool the burner box. Furnace at home does the same.

Concur mine does that
Old 01-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Georgia
THOR #7779
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Concur mine does that

I would love to quiet the fan . Insulate the box ?
Old 01-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobia13 View Post
I would love to quiet the fan . Insulate the box ?
You and me both! I’ve been doing this a long time, tried everything I could think of in several of the RVs we’ve owned, never have been able to make a furnace fan quiet!!!
Old 01-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #9

THOR #7779
There is another fan that is useless . We have a ACE 29 and there is a fan that draws air at the floor level blowing into the head . The temp at floor never gets that warm and it feels like the a/c is on .
Old 01-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
There is another fan that is useless . We have a ACE 29 and there is a fan that draws air at the floor level blowing into the head . The temp at floor never gets that warm and it feels like the a/c is on .
That's a new one on me. I've seen vents in the head; normally one for the AC and one for the furnace, but never a fan blowing air into the head. Gotta pic?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #11

THOR #7779
I will post this afternoon . There are no ducts involved , just draws air at floor level .
Old 01-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
I will post this afternoon . There are no ducts involved , just draws air at floor level .
There is a similar fan in our Windsport. The fan sits just above floor level in the wall between the living area and bathroom. There is a small grill on both side of the wall and a small fan in between, kinda reminds me of a pancake cooling fan on a computer. The wall fan is tied into the heater fan circuit, when heater kicks on so does the little fan. Not sure it makes any difference but it’s there just the same.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #13

THOR #7779
That's the same with the ACE . If it had ducts leading to it, it would be ok , but not cold air from floor .
Old 01-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #14

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
There is a similar fan in our Windsport. The fan sits just above floor level in the wall between the living area and bathroom. There is a small grill on both side of the wall and a small fan in between, kinda reminds me of a pancake cooling fan on a computer. The wall fan is tied into the heater fan circuit, when heater kicks on so does the little fan. Not sure it makes any difference but it’s there just the same.
My 2016 Hurricane 29M has the same fan, same purpose. Have to agree to its functional difference, too. This was the first fix I did. Found this fan loose in the wall on our maiden voyage. Took the grill inside the bathroom off and put a couple of wood screw thru the square fan frame to hold it in place and re-twisted the connections in the wire nuts.
From what I can tell, the Fan is installed before the wall panels, because the fan has a square frame around the blades (computer cooling fan), but the wall panels only had round holes, the same size as the blades. ???
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:19 AM   #15

THOR #9982
Thought I would update on my furnace problem/after several hours trying different things to get my furnace working I did notice the diode on circuit board giving me 2 flashes (thing was hidden from view on back of circuit board) that indicated flame sensor was not working. I ordered a new one and then proceeded to spend several hours trying to figure out how to access faulty flame sensor, jury rig an extension for box screw attachment (requiring trip to Harbor Freight and putting 5 pieces together to get it long enough) and remove propane connection and work at getting part out. Got it replaced and furnace working-there was a serious alcohol celebration to for the DYI guy!
But if I may digress, what a huge frustration trying to get technical manual to understand what part goes where. Going online and looking at Atwood furnace manual gives an exploded diagram but no labeling of parts. What the heck, I remember the old days where you had clear diagram with parts labeled/oh well at least I’m warm!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
I also have the 29.3, there is a register at the bottom of the sink base that I think they thought would blow across to the bathroom and be sucked into the bath. Poor design.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #17

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
My furnace fan used to make a lot of noise too. I found the problem to be the outside furnace cover was vibrating and the sound resonated throughout the duct system. I always look for easy and free solutions first. I tightened a couple of screws.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #18

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewpa View Post
But if I may digress, what a huge frustration trying to get technical manual to understand what part goes where. Going online and looking at Atwood furnace manual gives an exploded diagram but no labeling of parts. What the heck, I remember the old days where you had clear diagram with parts labeled/oh well at least I’m warm!
Atwood/Hyroflame tech manual. Has troubleshooting and parts diagrams, some out of date but may help. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

http://bryantrv.com/ Manuals and troubleshooting for most RV appliances.

May not always be the current model but seems to get me headed in the right direction.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote