Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
Jop

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #14625
Rain leaking in around Water Heater opening

Hi All, First off ~My Husband and I are new to all of this~However he is pretty handy when it comes to trouble shooting things.
The problem we are having is that when it rains water leaks in around the water heater area. He has calked around the bracket that hold the outside part in place but we just had a major down pour and Yup!! It rained in again. Just wondered if anyone else has issues with this and what else we can try before taking it back to the outfit we bought it from~ It's a 2019 Thor Freedom Elite 22FE. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 06-05-2019, 03:34 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. I see you have no responses so far......and while I am not familiar with your coach, you should refer to the manual for your water heater which typically contains basic information about the unit’s installation. Sometimes these units use butyl tape between coach wall and the flange on the water heater (depending on unit) and may also require caulking as well around the outside perimeter.

How are you detecting the water infiltration after each rain? Do you mean water is on the rough floor inside the coach exterior wall, where the water heater is physically installed?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Seal around the flange where it meets the body. Use a good sealer. No silicone.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I don’t know which water heater cover door you have, but there have been two problems associated with the water heater covers. The first (on my Axis) was Thor did not put the rubber seal all around the door, so water ran in thru the bottom corner and ruined my water heater. Other owners have had issues with the slats in some doors which dissipate the heat (not all units have these slats). In some RVs the slats pointed up instead of down, so the water just ran into the water heater.