Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #10281
Lifetime Warranty for Thor rv's

we purchased at 2018 24.5 Vegas with a lifetime warranty, however we were NOT told an annual inspection was required. Anyone else have a similar situation? I apparently have till December 2019 to get the inspection done or i lose the lifetime warranty. Not very happy with my dealer right now. Any thoughts.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
So get the inspection done, you have 6 months left. What does the inspection cost?
Old 06-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #3

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Was this a dealer sponsored warranty? Thor's warranty is only 1 year.

As has been said, get the inspection done. I bet it won't be cheap though as it most likely will have to be done at the dealer you bought it from.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:36 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We were given a free 20 year warranty. It does not cover everything that the regular warranty does. The annual inspection is free on ours IF we take it back to the selling dealer and IF the selling dealers sticker is still on the back of the unit. I don’t have the paperwork handy to remind me exactly what is covered. Taking it in for the inspection on Monday.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:37 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Why would you not want to get the annual inspection?
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:42 AM   #6

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
On top of the inspection cost, I could see them saying that certain things needed to be adjusted or replaced from a maintenance point of view. I would not think that that warranty covers maintenance.
Read the fine print.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
these are basically a 'sales tool' to REQUIRE you to come in, to THAT dealer, every year, and have them give you an 'inspection', which is 'code' for finding as many things wrong as they can, and seeing how much of those things they can get you to pay 'again' for, even though you have a 'lifetime' warranty, which probably does NOT cover the things that they are going to be finding that you need to repair, fix, or replace.... NO, most of us didn't buy at a dealer which offered this, and so you are getting something 'free' that most RVrs don't get, yet you have to take it in every year to have it inspected, as part of the deal.

My take on this is: take it/schedule it for the inspection. Ask them how long it will take(hours, days, weeks, months!), and then let them know that you will be there to pick it up at the designated time(YOUR designated time, not theirs). When you pick it up, and they give you the 'spill' about needing to do this, or that, you simply get into the drivers seat, and leave.

If your rig is less than a year old since you purchased it, EVERYTHING is still under the factory warranty. They will want to repair/replace EVERYTHING they can find that the factory will give them money to warranty, which is fine, but those items that are not 'warranty' items should not be anything you are bound to have to have them handle.

This ploy is simply a way to keep the RV buying customer coming BACK to the same dealer for all of their needs... which keeps you in the fold of the RV dealership, giving them the opportunity to upsell you, get you into a 'new' rig in a few years, and convince you that certain 'non-warranty' things you should have them handle for you. It's all about customer service and 'keeping' you, their customer, from going somewhere else.

Read the fine print, too, as you may also find other things that they don't mention - deductibles, timeframes, requirements to leave your rig in their hands until 'they' decide it's o.k. for you to now pick it up, etc.

(also, remember that many appliances, devices, and parts of your vehicle may already have warranties that extend out for many, many miles and/or many, many years... my Freightliner vehicle Chassis has a 3 year/50kmi warranty, my Magnum Inverter has a 3 year warranty, and my Cummins diesel engine has a 5 year Emissions warranty, among other warranties that go well beyond the 'factory' one year warranty. Your fridge and microwave and TVs and Water Heater and Furnace and Awnings probably all have warranties that already extend well beyond the 'typical' one year factory timeframe... you just have to handle those yourself after the first year of ownership... unless you have a Jayco or Entegra or Winnebago which may come with 2 years of factory warranty... otherwise it's the same.)
Old 06-30-2019, 11:40 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Im with Turner on this one....Read the fine print and let us know what you find out.

I desided after the 2nd trip the CW under my first year warrantee that I would never go back (if I can help it) and I purchased a 5 year extended warrantee.

They keep the RV for weeks to do simple things, It came back dirty and they killed my house batteries (when the RV was only 9 mo old to me) and would not replace them (Same thing with Thor).

Good luck.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My extended warranty covers the roof, as long as it is inspected every year. Since I have to take it in for a state safety inspection every year I have them do the roof inspection as well. With this year's inspection they told me the caulking was showing signs of wear so I had them re-caulk around the vents etc...

The roof is the only item on my extended warranty that requires an annual inspection.

As a note, an this is me, I have my state inspection and annual services set for a time of minimal use for the RV. I take it to the dealer, let them have it for a week or two to get things done and then pick it back up when ready. Been doing this for years and it pays off in the relationship between myself and the dealer's service department.

As others have said, read the warranty. I will add the word "understand" to that statement. Knowledge is power in these situations.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:30 PM   #10

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
We also have a lifetime warranty from our dealer. Our inspection is free and is supposed to be performed while we wait(about 2 hrs.) We still have a few months before we have the first one done, so we'll see how it goes. I'll keep my fingers crossed and report back on how it went.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've got one of those "forever" warranties on my roof also...

... as long as they inspect it (for free!); twice a year.

Easy-peasey!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote