Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 28z
State: Ohio
THOR #7907
Gray Water "meter" incorrect reading?

I hope someone can give me a place to start looking at a problem on our 28z - The gray water "meter" on the wall will sometimes read full when I have just emptied it, then next time I check its shows empty - had it in Piqua for a few months with this listed as an issue - unfortunately not happy with the lack of results. Will not be back at the dealer ever again!!

As a side note, I have to wonder do the folks building these just throw a few extra screws in the camper for fun? I keep finding them but not empty holes

Old 08-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #2

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
The tank sensors on my Axis have never been accurate! As far as I know there is not way to reset or calibrate them. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Luckily for me the fresh water tank is located under the sofa in my Axis and I'm able to check it visually! As far the others, I just empty them as often as possible!
Old 08-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Florida
THOR #5240
Black (especially) and grey tank meters are notorious for being wrong. In the black tank it only takes a piece of TP or something worse over the sensor to show an error. Food waste or soap on the grey will cause the same issue but it usually clears itself. On the black tank it needs to be flushed and even then it may show incorrect.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Those indicators are notoriously inaccurate. As they age, the sensors collect debris on them and will often light despite there being a low liquid level in the tank. I just kind of know how long we can go before having to dump tanks, and only use the indicators as a rough guide. You can try filling your tank with water, or almost full add some cleaner, then drive on a rough road with lots of curves. That may help, at least temporarily. With the black tank, the drill is to fill it half or so, add lots of ice cubes, and drive for awhile. Again maybe a temporary fix.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
This is one of the most common "problems" with RVs.

If you want accurate tank gauges it will requiring replacing the existing monitors with better quality gauges. Most of us just learn to live with the OEM gauges.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #6

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I think there is a way to calibrate tank sensors on youtube.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:15 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
Grey water holding tank sensors

I learned something just a week ago about cleaning the holding tank sensors and it worked just great. The trick is to start out with empty tanks. Then get a bucket and put in a cup or so of Cascade auto dish detergent, then add about 5 gallons of REALLY HOT water to the bucket and mix. Pour down the drain. Repeat if the black tank sensor is also not reading properly and dump down the toilet. Now drive around for a while (1/2hour or so) so the mix sloshes around . I made lots of corners. Let it sit for another 1/2 hour then dump. Another way would be to add the mixture to your tanks before your next trip, then dump when you get to your destination. The Cascade cuts thru grease and sludge, and the hot water washes the crud away. When I dumped after the cleansing I was amazed how much crud came out(I have a clear 90degree elbow on my dump so I could see it). All the sensors are now working properly.. I will do this before most trips in the future! Hope it works for you..
Old 08-23-2017, 04:35 AM   #8

State: Colorado
THOR #5477
Have used it for years and works great.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #9

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Only on our third RV but none of the tank sensors have ever worked right for long. To us it is no big deal and we really never even look at them. We dump black tank every 5 or 6 days and the gray stays open until the day before we are going to dump the black. If you stress over these sensors not working correctly and keep trying to have them repaired then you will never be "a happy camper".
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #10

Model: 28z
State: Ohio
THOR #7907
Thank you for the replies, new to the forum and enjoying the reading
Old 08-24-2017, 04:30 AM   #11

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benney2075 View Post
I hope someone can give me a place to start looking at a problem on our 28z - The gray water "meter" on the wall will sometimes read full when I have just emptied it, then next time I check its shows empty - had it in Piqua for a few months with this listed as an issue - unfortunately not happy with the lack of results. Will not be back at the dealer ever again!!

As a side note, I have to wonder do the folks building these just throw a few extra screws in the camper for fun? I keep finding them but not empty holes

I found an empty 110V outlet wall box on floor under my shower. Who would drop that and leave it. Like you I found several screws laying around but no holes.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:43 AM   #12

State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
How long before dumping?

Greetings, all.

I'm just reactivating this head rather than start a new one about the same thing.

We're in a 2016 Hurricane, with 40 and 43 gallon black and gray tanks respectively. Friday night (10 August) I dumped both tanks. Tonight (13 August) the gray tank reads full, and the black tank has been at ⅔ for several days.

We only started showering on the 11th, and only washed a couple sinkfuls of dishes. I turn the water off when soaping in the shower or washing hands, etc. I do what I can to conserve water. I just can't believe that in four full days two people have filled those tanks. The guy in the Fleetwoood next to us says they go about 3 weeks(?).

I'm a new RVer and this is out first trip so I'm paranoid. I could drive to one of the two dump stations in town (I'm in the Rockies), but I wonder how one gauges approximately when dumping is required.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The gauges are notoriously inaccurate. If you have access to the tanks try tapping on them to see how full they actually are (if the toilet is a straight drop to the tank you can also turn the water off, open the valve, and use a flashlight to look down in there to see the level of the tank).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
phoeg...it's amazing how much more water you use than you think. The longer you RV the more you get used to this and learn to conserve more...even when you think you already are. Anyone that goes 3 weeks without dumping tanks has really got something unusual going on...be it good or bad. If your gauges are correct, feel lucky. It's a cat and mouse game for your first few trips but you will quickly begin to "just know" when they are approaching full.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you think of those meters as "The Politicians of the RV World": you'll know how to handle the information that they impart to you!
After all: aren't they all about equally filled with crap?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #16

THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

After all: aren't they all about equally filled with crap?

No. My tanks aren’t that big! :-D
Old 08-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #17

THOR #8223
Thanks all. I think will go to the dump station so that the sanitation department (me) can relax!

The guy next to me also proposed emptying the gray tank next to me (we’re in a state park). He asked what I thought the tent campers did with their dirty dishwater. That doesn’t feel right to me. There’s also a big rig on the other side of us who arrived the same day and who returned. They have a Jeep toad, so I’m guessing they went to the dump station and not the Safeway. :-)
Old 08-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoeg View Post
No. My tanks aren’t that big! :-D

FOR THE RECORD: I'm not advocating for any particular Party or Cause; I'm pretty much just saying that they're all about the same!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #19

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Gray water still smells and has food particles in it that will cause ants, etc. Any RVer should respect the environment and dump only in designated, approved dump stations. There are those emergency situations whereby bleeding a little gray water off becomes necessary....but not in a park or campground!! He wants to dump his gray tank right next to you?? Pretty disgusting and that also says he will dump his black tank on open land when no one is looking.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #20

THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

FOR THE RECORD: I'm not advocating for any particular Party or Cause; I'm pretty much just saying that they're all about the same!

Same here! I'm a bipartisan crank! LOL