Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #12313
Gray Water Tank

My new 2018 Thor Windsport 29M drains its bathroom sink water into the black tank. Is that correct or should it be draining into the gray water tank? I worry that the shower may also be draining into the black water dank. Thank you.

Kona Tom

Old 08-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Normal...A lot of Thor's are that way. They do it so you can pee in the sink and the wife doesn't know.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Its very common for the Bathroom sink to drain into the Black tank - that helps keep the black tank flowing better (when draining). Many new RV'er dont keep enough water in the black tank which will cause problem down the road. Mine does the same thing (2017 Axis).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #4

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Many rigs do this. As said many times here "water is your best friend" in the black tank. You'll find the grey tank will fill up much faster than the black. The extra water added to the black tank helps flush the solids. You should also get in the habit of adding water in the privy after the flush. Do this by depressing the lever part way.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #5

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Normal...A lot of Thor's are that way. They do it so you can pee in the sink and the wife doesn't know.
LOL. Sound like something my brother would have done when we were kids.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
LOL. Sound like something my brother would have done when we were kids.
But who would have talked him into it?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #11919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Tom View Post
My new 2018 Thor Windsport 29M drains its bathroom sink water into the black tank. Is that correct or should it be draining into the gray water tank? I worry that the shower may also be draining into the black water dank. Thank you.

Kona Tom

I have the same RV. Built that way, no worries. Better for the black tank too.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #8

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But who would have talked him into it?

Talk him into it? Heck he if he thought of it he would just do it and be laughing about it. Or wait until im brushing me teeth then tell me what he did. LOL
Old 08-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Question: Older Brother; or Younger?
Old 08-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
This A.D.D. is getting to us...we can sure take a thread down a dirt road real quick. We need to work on this!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
it's kind of like spinning around a blindfolded person: you never know where they'll end up, but it sure can get interesting!
Old 08-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #12

THOR #12313
AXXERA Radio

Thank you all for your responses. Very helpful.

When my radio is on, turning the volume up will make the screen go black for a second or two. Then it will change channels. It works correctly with the remote but not with the dial.

Also, when I have the rear camera on and turn on the left or right signal, the side camera activates as they should. However, when I turn the signals off, it does not revert to the rear camera. It reverts to the home screen and then I have to manually click to rear camera. Should it revert to the rear camera automatically or is this normal?

Kona Tom
Old 08-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Tom View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Very helpful.

When my radio is on, turning the volume up will make the screen go black for a second or two. Then it will change channels. It works correctly with the remote but not with the dial.

Also, when I have the rear camera on and turn on the left or right signal, the side camera activates as they should. However, when I turn the signals off, it does not revert to the rear camera. It reverts to the home screen and then I have to manually click to rear camera. Should it revert to the rear camera automatically or is this normal?

Kona Tom
If you haven’t done so already go to mods and updates and look for Jerry’s Hurricane mods. Lots of great ideas for 29M coaches, one of them is adding a dash top monitor that allows you to see all three cameras at the same time on one 9” screen. Easy mod using existing wiring, took me less than 30 min to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F582D331-C530-4A6D-A0DE-79BB7FFA838F.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	12217

If you select the rear camera view on the radio display when you first start up the rear camera should come back on automatically after using the turn signals.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:26 AM   #14

THOR #12313
Thank you. That is what I thought. Taking the RV in to Camping World tomorrow for our warranty check list. I will look at Jerry’s mods. Sounds great.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #15

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Its very common for the Bathroom sink to drain into the Black tank - that helps keep the black tank flowing better (when draining). Many new RV'er dont keep enough water in the black tank which will cause problem down the road. Mine does the same thing (2017 Axis).

I have a 2018 Vegas 24.1. How would I know that the bathroom water is going into the black tank? I have only been out with it for four weeks this season and the grey tank filled quite quickly, much faster than the black.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
Had to respond to this....Shower water into black tank is the first time I have ever heard of that. Tested mine today and yep, that's what is happening. All sink and shower water goes to black. he only water that goes to gray is kitchen sink water.

I have had a Newmar Scottsdale, National see breeze and last a Sprinter van and all water except toilet water goes into the grey water holding, the way it is supposed to be. You can always add water to the black tank with the flush, thats why you have a smaller 30 gallon black water tank and a larger 40 gallon gray water tank

Ridiculous morons Thor is....Anyone know a way I can correct this myself instead of having to take it in. I've done everything else, not sure I can do this.

So to answer the OP question...The answer is no it should not be going to the black water tank
Yes, the bathroom sink water is supposed to go to the black tank.

No, the shower water is not supposed to go to the black tank.

Lotsa 24.1s on here and this is the first complaint about shower water going to the black tank. Might want to double-check that.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
My apologies to all for the panic and my pissy attitude. More investigation reveals that my shower water is going to the gray tank. I was wrong and sorry for firing anyone up. I haven't needed the dealer yet with the exception of an unconnected dash AC and I am happy self repairing as I go and thought this was beyond me.

I see that Thor routinely sends sink water to black as a standard. I'm not totally opposed to that however I would prefer to save black water holding capacity for what it's for. I can add water as needed. I suspect it was a convenience design by Thor rather than designing it so we have more water in the black tank.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
FYI, Post from me earlier with incorrect info has been deleted.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
I have a 2018 Vegas 24.1. How would I know that the bathroom water is going into the black tank? I have only been out with it for four weeks this season and the grey tank filled quite quickly, much faster than the black.
Simple: with both black and grey empty run the bathroom sink a while and see which one fills up. If yours is built like any other Thor it will be the black.

The shower will go to grey.

You can also call Thor with your VIN and get your construction drawings. They will at least show you how Thor intended to plumb things.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #20

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Simple: with both black and grey empty run the bathroom sink a while and see which one fills up. If yours is built like any other Thor it will be the black.

The shower will go to grey.

You can also call Thor with your VIN and get your construction drawings. They will at least show you how Thor intended to plumb things.

Thanks