Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2018, 03:30 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleflier View Post
Thanks I agree based on past experience, but there is always an expert that thinks things should not be tampered with. The factory must have wanted it that way. I have low miles so it will get greased before I head out. Do you grease u-joints ? I didn't look at them yet but we did so at work.
I check my Axis last summer.... no zerks on the U-joints. So they are sealed.

What I like to do with my Jeep is just replace the $20 u-joint every 40 - 50K miles or if you see where or a lot of grease being thrown out. Its cheap insurance to prevent major damage and being suck on the side of the road (or trail).

Only takes like 30 minutes on the jeep plus I only have 2 (well 3 now with CV joint I added with my lift).

So it might take like 2 hours twice as many U-joints on an RV but its an easy job IMO.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:33 AM   #22

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Moon Milt View Post
What kind / name brand grease is recommended?
Synthetic marine wheel bearing grease. It's sticky and repels water. What else could you want?
Old 12-01-2018, 03:38 AM   #23

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I check my Axis last summer.... no zerks on the U-joints. So they are sealed.

What I like to do with my Jeep is just replace the $20 u-joint every 40 - 50K miles or if you see where or a lot of grease being thrown out. Its cheap insurance to prevent major damage and being suck on the side of the road (or trail).

Only takes like 30 minutes on the jeep plus I only have 2 (well 3 now with CV joint I added with my lift).

So it might take like 2 hours twice as many U-joints on an RV but its an easy job IMO.

And those carrier bearings on an Axis? They are more of a concern to me than sealed u-joints. Sealed u-joints have never given me a problem. Faulty carrier bearings / alignment issue, yes...
Old 12-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #24

Model: 34J
State: South Carolina
THOR #13131
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
Not sure what is recommended by the manufacturer, but Lucas Oil Red n’ Tacky is about the best you can get. Any auto parts store will have it.
Thanks for all the advice. I have some lithium based grease that I used on an ATV years ago and was not sure if to use it or something else
Old 12-13-2018, 01:26 AM   #25

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I had a class on oils and greases many moons ago during my apprentice years.
We had guests from Mobil Oil telling about blends, multi viscosity properties, greases, etc, and how they were made.
What I recall, it is the oil in the grease that does the lubricating, the grease itself is a man made substance that holds the oil suspended to do the lubricating.
I am no scientist expert, but the grease is made from saphonizing metals, okay...

So, do not wait too long, or the oil leaves the grease and the "grease" will dry out.
And try to always use the same brand every time, as different companies may not be compatible, but then the new is pushing the old out and replacing it.
I have not seen those degenerative things personally, just what I remember being told.
So basically, it's the quality of the grease, as in that part itself, how long it can keep oil blended in to do the job.

If you grease them every year, and every oil change, I do not believe one brand is really too much better than another, and you are doing a good thing for the equipment.
Environment plays a part also, and that is where a marine type may do better.
Then there is arid desert climates, colder climates, and so on, now you need SAE recommendations for use severity, geez just too much research.

I have had grease fittings not take any, could be the grease dried out, or from neglect.
I have seen old tubes of grease, for grease guns, leaking the oil out.
Regardless, if things are working right, keep using what you are, otherwise use what mfr recommends, or recognizable name brands: pennzoil 707L, shell, valvoline, etc.

And I fully agree, if there are plugs in place of the zerks, install the grease gun fittings, and get to greasing!
Have a nice day!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 AM   #26

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Moon Milt View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I have some lithium based grease that I used on an ATV years ago and was not sure if to use it or something else
Not sure, but I believe lithium type greases, are best suited for electrical motor bearings.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #27

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
I had a class on oils and greases many moons ago during my apprentice years.
We had guests from Mobil Oil telling about blends, multi viscosity properties, greases, etc, and how they were made.
What I recall, it is the oil in the grease that does the lubricating, the grease itself is a man made substance that holds the oil suspended to do the lubricating.
I am no scientist expert, but the grease is made from saphonizing metals, okay...

So, do not wait too long, or the oil leaves the grease and the "grease" will dry out.
And try to always use the same brand every time, as different companies may not be compatible, but then the new is pushing the old out and replacing it.
I have not seen those degenerative things personally, just what I remember being told.
So basically, it's the quality of the grease, as in that part itself, how long it can keep oil blended in to do the job.

If you grease them every year, and every oil change, I do not believe one brand is really too much better than another, and you are doing a good thing for the equipment.
Environment plays a part also, and that is where a marine type may do better.
Then there is arid desert climates, colder climates, and so on, now you need SAE recommendations for use severity, geez just too much research.

I have had grease fittings not take any, could be the grease dried out, or from neglect.
I have seen old tubes of grease, for grease guns, leaking the oil out.
Regardless, if things are working right, keep using what you are, otherwise use what mfr recommends, or recognizable name brands: pennzoil 707L, shell, valvoline, etc.

And I fully agree, if there are plugs in place of the zerks, install the grease gun fittings, and get to greasing!
Have a nice day!
Yeah, if anything, couldn't hurt.