Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #6433
Greasing slide roller

Hello everyone, so we have a freedom elite 30fe and the back slide is squeaking or squealing when extending. It only does it for the last little bit before being fully extended. There doesn’t appear to be any issues doesn’t look like anything is dragging or scraping. Could that be caused by the roller that’s underneath there? And if so how you grease that? It’s only coming from one side closest to the cab. I put the slide seal spray on so I don’t think it’s those but maybe. Any thoughts are appreciated

Old 08-21-2018, 04:21 AM   #2

THOR #6433
Bump
Old 08-21-2018, 04:31 AM   #3

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
I have read in other threads, regarding lubing the slide, that the manufacturers do not recommend lubing it. You may need to call Thor, they can tell you who made the slide for your coach.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You didn't mention if this a new coach or not. If you've had it for a while and this just started, it sounds like something had gotten a bit out of alignment or a wear pad (if they have them) has expired. I wouldn't grease the slides as I've heard this will cause the gears to possibly slip easier by loosing "grip". Next time out swing through a dealer somewhere and see if they will look at it for you on lot. Many will take a few seconds to help you out.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:24 AM   #5

THOR #6433
The couch is a 2017, it’s not the gear set that’s making the noise. We went camping a few weeks ago and had to take a 8 mile dirt road that brought dust into the RV. Since that time it appears to be a white roller makes a sqeel for about the last foot before being fully extended
Old 08-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #6

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
The couch is a 2017, it’s not the gear set that’s making the noise. We went camping a few weeks ago and had to take a 8 mile dirt road that brought dust into the RV. Since that time it appears to be a white roller makes a sqeel for about the last foot before being fully extended
I have a 2017 Thor Chateau and mine does the same thing. They sold me that little black grease crap in the can that you supposed to put on the teeth and all it does is make everything Brown and yucky so I quit using it and it works fine
Old 08-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #7

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Chateau and mine does the same thing. They sold me that little black grease crap in the can that you supposed to put on the teeth and all it does is make everything Brown and yucky so I quit using it and it works fine
Thank you. I am going to stay away from greasing the tracks. There doesn’t appear to be any problems so we will just see how it goes
Old 09-12-2018, 11:25 PM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #13050
They told me to use Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant when I did my walk thru 30fe
Old 09-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #9

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
I have a little experience with the slides on our 2016 Ace 29.3 three trak system.

Do NOT grease the rollers under the slide (if you could really get to them) per Thor. I have used a special spray for the slide extension gears (not sure what you call them) which does not leave any residue but likely not needed.

I have had a similar issue, and found re-syncing the slide made a huge difference.

The exact procedure is outlined in your owners manual. If you cannot find the procedure pm me and I will try to help.

Important. Once you start to extend your slide, do not stop except in an emergency. Wait until fully extended and continue to hold the button for 3-5 seconds so the unit "amps out." If you fail to do this the slides will be a little out of sync and can cause issues like those you told us about.

Also, use the same procedure when retracting the slide. Amp out is the rule here. It keeps them synced.

I always make sure the floor is clean before retracting so as to keep the rollers as clean as possible.

Always keep your coach level, otherwise bad things can happen to your slides. Use a carpenters level to make sure your coach is really level. If you find it isn't, there is a procedure to calibrate your auto leveling system so it is right when using it. Again, it is covered in the manual. Mine was wrong until I fixed it.

One more thing. Put your slide(s) out and inspect the roller plates. Make sure none of them are damaged. If they are, pm me.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #10

THOR #6433
Thank you for the info. Looking at the roller it looks really hard to grease even if I wanted to. I will try and reset the sides like you suggested. Funny thing is it only started after going down a really dusty road to a camp ground. It seems to work just fine and there aren’t any issues with the working of the slide.