Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Has anyone taken bedroom door off.

The bedroom door has been a mess. It has been flying back and forth. Has anyone taken it off and replaced. Is it difficult to remove. Been looking at it can’t figure how it comes off. Was going to wallpaper since it’s all scratched. Also looking for plastic snaps that will keep it from flying around. Thanks

Old 09-22-2019, 01:41 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Our Hurricane 29M has three sliding doors that hang from a track much like a pocket door. To remove the doors take a putty knife, slide it up along the track until you make contact with the hanger. There is a handle on the hanger that you can move with the putty knife releasing the hanger from the door. There are two hangers on each door. Once you release the hanger you will have to lift the door to free it from each hanger.

Our doors have internal spring loaded rods that lock them open and closed.

Good luck, hopefully this works with your door.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
have no idea what kind of door you have...
mine had a sort of zig zag accordion style thing. Rigid but not solid...like a very stiff fabric and similar to the window blinds...that slid on a ceiling track. The thing was horrible. It was very sloppy to operate, and would get kinda kinked or creased...
Anyway, very early on I removed it and using the same track I hung a curtain. We had to have something there, since our shower is across the hall from the lav and this curtain divides the shower/bath from the bedroom. It provides a little separation for DW when she's sleeping in...not as good as a solid door, but it works for us better than the junk that was there.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #4

THOR #7948
I looked up your floor plan this morning. It appears that you have the same two door sliding bedroom doors that we have. One of our doors started sliding back and forth when it became unattached from it’s partner. The doors are held together by a bracket that is attached to one door and fits into a grove in the bottom of the other. In our case, one of the door’s tracks came loose from the door frame allowing the doors to separate and one door to slide back and forth while traveling. Reattaching the track solved the problem.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Never thought about removing the doors. We had the problem of the doors moving while traveling. Now we place a couple throw pillows on the floor to keep it from moving. No problems anymore

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #6

THOR #7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Never thought about removing the doors. We had the problem of the doors moving while traveling. Now we place a couple throw pillows on the floor to keep it from moving. No problems anymore

Jerry
Jerry

Yeah, we used pillows too. If your door is moving because the track has pulled away from the door frame’s header, you can fix that by screwing the track back in place without removing the door. I didn’t figure that out until after I had removed both doors.

Tom
Old 09-22-2019, 10:44 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndLindaRogers View Post
Jerry

Yeah, we used pillows too. If your door is moving because the track has pulled away from the door frame’s header, you can fix that by screwing the track back in place without removing the door. I didn’t figure that out until after I had removed both doors.

Tom
Our doors are still in the track
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:53 AM   #8

THOR #7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Our doors are still in the track
Our doors were in the tracks as well. I should have said, check your tracks. If they’re loose, couple the doors back together and screw the track back into the header. That’s an easy fix without having to take the doors out of the tracks.

Tom
Old 09-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 35 M
THOR #6832
Sliding doors

Yeah our doors somehow got a big horizontal scratch on the bedroom side. We bought some nice self stick wallpaper. I found the two pins that release it but door still does not come off. Has anyone wallpapered their doors. Thanks to all
Old 09-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #10

Model: Windsport. 35M
THOR #6199
The double sliding doors on my 35M gave me problems when I first got it. I learned that I had to travel with them in the secured open position. If I didn’t, the coach would flex enough to disconnect them from each other at the bottom. It was a pain to hook them back together. I had to loosen the bracket at the bottom and return it to the groove in the bottom of the door.

The doors are hung from the upper track like a pocket door. I never had them off. Some pocket doors have a lever that has to be rotated and a nut or screw that has to be loosened. This allows the door to lift out of the slider/rollers. You probably have to unhook the doors from each other at the bottom. I found it easier to have two people when installing or removing pocket doors.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:36 AM   #11

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Missouri
THOR #6489
Scratched bedroom door

Gary D,
Had similar occurrence on our 2017 Miramar 33.5, seems an ~3 screws from the bedroom cabinetry was protruding causing a similar scratch you described. Luckily was still under warrantee. As for the door sliding out, our lock pins had to be adjusted when the new door was installed and has been good to go since otherwise taking a turn real havoc was happening in the back.

Doug and Alice
St Louis, MO
Old 10-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #12

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
No problem with our double bedroom doors. We always travel with them open and locked together.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:18 AM   #13

Model: 35 M Windsoport
State: Texas
THOR #13876
Had same problem on my 35 m bought the plastic snap holder and problem solved also bought the swimming Noddles and stuffed between the door to keep from rattling.so far the adjustment to the doors are still off waiting till winter to fix to hot right now.safe travels.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:42 AM   #14

Model: ACE 27.1
State: New Mexico
THOR #5342
I too had a problem with the double sliding doors banging back and forth. The upper slide track was fine, but the 2 lower brackets came loose because the screws pulled out and broke a piece of wood out by the groove in the bottom of one door. It was not difficult to take the doors down by rotating a little lever attaching the door to the hanger on the slide track. There are 2 on each door. I glued the broken piece back in the door and used longer screws inserted at an angle into the door. I used a backer plate to add some beef to the thin plywood on the wall and then screwed the other bracket to the wall. The doors were a little heavy, but I managed to hang them by myself with some blocks and shims to support them. It took some care to get the bracket on one door into the groove in the other door. I left one screw out of the wall bracket until I hung the doors so I could rotate the bracket into the grove of the door. Then I put in the other screw. All is well now.
Incidentally, the pillow solution works great. Use it quickly to minimize damage.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
No problem with our double bedroom doors. We always travel with them open and locked together.
Do the same
Did have to reattach the stop on the back door
The latches work well to hold them in place
Old 10-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Massachusetts
THOR #4244
Our 27K ... same situation, plus pantry door opened and, on tight right turn, by original delivery guy... pantry door opened all the way and smashed into opposite closet door... Thor replaced that door as part of purchase deal.

DW's solution was to find a square Ottoman - hassock ... that fits in that space when we travel. Keeps doors where they belong, pantry stays shut as does Fridge. AND - we have extra storage for pillows and blankets...HTH...!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wHassock in Travel position 2017 DSC_8093.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	20654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hassock in MH  2017 DSC_7127.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	20655  

Old 10-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #17

Model: ACE
THOR #4322
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary d View Post
The bedroom door has been a mess. It has been flying back and forth. Has anyone taken it off and replaced. Is it difficult to remove. Been looking at it can’t figure how it comes off. Was going to wallpaper since it’s all scratched. Also looking for plastic snaps that will keep it from flying around. Thanks
Is this a double sliding door? In top rail you have to use a flat head screwdriver to flip the connectors then door comes off. However to secure my door I used Velcro strips at bottom of door. One side of Velcro place on wall. Then other side on door so the wall strip wraps the door and connects to secure door.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #18

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Any pictures of top hanger and where to flip lever,and bottom clip that holds doors together and how to reattach ?
Old 07-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #19

THOR #19555
What do you do when the bottom piece cracked off...damn fake wood...once again
Old 07-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #20

THOR #19555
Ok. Mine...the bottom piece cracked. Can I just glue it back and if so where does it affix to?