Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 12:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Alaska
THOR #7867
My rear ac is blowing warm air. It also seems the fan isn't going on the unit what s

Warm air coming through the vents in zone 3. One and two working just fine!! Any ideas for the fix?

Old 11-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I see no responses, so how about if we try getting some more info since I am not familiar with a Tuscany 45.

The little info on net is you have three roof air conditioning units and you say two are working fine and the third is not. Does your coach have three separate physical thermostats or just one thermostat with three zone temp sensors? When you call for cooling in the failed zone do you hear a relay click in the thermostat? If not, check fuse panel for any blown 12vdc thermostat cooling fuses (this would assume three separate thermostats instead of just one). Note that typically a thermostat set for cooling will have a time delay between cooling cycle starts to prevent the air conditioner compressor motor from short cycling (stopping and re-starting too quickly). It may take a couple minutes after you call for cooling before the air conditioner starts.
Your title says zone three is blowing warm air but the fan does not seem to be running.......can you clarify a bit? if it is blowing air I would think the 120VAC is fine but perhaps the compressor is not kicking on. I am no cooling expert but on many air conditioners the condensor fan and coach blower fan run off the same AC motor......but perhaps not on a Tuscany.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #3

THOR #7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I see no responses, so how about if we try getting some more info since I am not familiar with a Tuscany 45.

The little info on net is you have three roof air conditioning units and you say two are working fine and the third is not. Does your coach have three separate physical thermostats or just one thermostat with three zone temp sensors? When you call for cooling in the failed zone do you hear a relay click in the thermostat? If not, check fuse panel for any blown 12vdc thermostat cooling fuses (this would assume three separate thermostats instead of just one). Note that typically a thermostat set for cooling will have a time delay between cooling cycle starts to prevent the air conditioner compressor motor from short cycling (stopping and re-starting too quickly). It may take a couple minutes after you call for cooling before the air conditioner starts.
Your title says zone three is blowing warm air but the fan does not seem to be running.......can you clarify a bit? if it is blowing air I would think the 120VAC is fine but perhaps the compressor is not kicking on. I am no cooling expert but on many air conditioners the condensor fan and coach blower fan run off the same AC motor......but perhaps not on a Tuscany.

My fan initially came on. It is a three zone set up. A week ago I played with the circuit breaker and after a bit it came back on. Not doing anything now but I took the cover off and the fan is not moving.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:49 AM   #4

THOR #2631
Hi, so you likely have three thermistors (one in each zone) which are wired back to the master thermostat control. I assume you tried a thermostat reset per manual? Does failed zone 3 read the correct temperature in that zone? If yes then it is not the thermistor......if no then perhaps the thermistor sensor has failed and needs replacement. Also if you have a voltmeter carefully prove your 120VAC connections to the failed zone 3 air conditioner.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #5

THOR #7867
The temp is reading correctly. So we can rule that out! Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #6

THOR #2631
I am not familiar with your coach air conditioning specifics, but perhaps some generic suggestions may help troubleshoot your problem. If the thermostat operation is typical, I would "assume" there are three micro relays inside; one for each roof air conditioner. When you call for cooling you should hear each micro relay operating in the thermostat when it tries to switch on the relay control of each appropriate air conditioner. If you have proven the 120VAC feed is good to the failed air conditioner you might have a bad low voltage control wiring connection in the air conditioning plenum or even at the thermostat. I am attaching a very generic schematic of a typical air conditioner on a single thermostat.....wiring colors may not apply to your situation, but the basic operation should be similar. The relay shown is probably up in the plenum area of the air conditioner....usually accessible from inside the coach by taking the roof panel and air filter out. You could check to see if the low voltage call for cooling is actually coming from the thermostat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Typical RV Air Conditioner Basic Wiring.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	14207  
Old 11-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #7

THOR #7867
Thanks for the info. It is certainly appreciated!