Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
Has THOR fired their QC workers??? If not, they should!

Apparent habitual poster here...

Have had my 2018 Thor AXIS less than 2 weeks and its been daily repair after daily repair (see prior threads, and some I've been too busy to post).

Today I decide to check the driver/passenger front windows for signs of water intrusion before installing my Hellwig anti-sway bar, I noticed a slight bubble under the driver's side widow, at the lower front corner. I pressed on it and it appeared to be slightly soft.

So, I get the ladder out and sure enough, there are up to 1/8 inch gaps of BUTYL TAPE on the drivers side window frame to RV wall, and what's on the passenger side? FOAM... WTH??? Folks have been complaining for years about this exact issue, and THOR can't figure it out? Is it a scam to hope folks discover this obvious on-going issue after the warranty, at which time the dealers make their $$$ in repairs?

The passenger side was better sealed, but I decided to 3M Marine UV/underwater sealant both (after squishing down the drivers side butyl tape into its channel with the round end of a 7/16 wrench). This gives you an idea of the gap. COMPLETETLY UNACCEPTABLE!

It was at this time when I noticed that there was a crappy window hole cut on the drivers side, with approx. 1/8 inch of a hole showing.

I probably have the last AXIS 25.2 off the line, since they have cancelled it, and it shows... Add this to my list of warranty issues. Oh wait, also realized that the cheezy fresh water tank drain valve is clogged, and only drips... Took 24 hours to drain 1/3 tank. Can't blow through it due to its poorly designed placement.

All this I'm having to deal with, and Thor (Stephanie Wireman) denies my request for a proper alignment.

AJ

Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
In answer to your post title question, there were none to fire.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Hang in there, It will get better. It takes about a year to work out all the bugs on a new RV. Some folks just have more bugs than others.

I blame Russia on our RV problems. LOL.

IMO (Even with all the probems) there is NOT an "affordable" RV that fits in the Axis/Vegas segment (in the USA). They are either too small or to big (IMO).

I call the THOR RUV's the "Goldilocks of RV's". LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I feel your pain. It took me 5 months of working on my brand new 29M before it was ready for an uneventful road trip. Every time we hit the road we found something new to fix or correct. I love my rig but if Thor had done even a half-assed job of quality control before it left the factory I would have been a happier camper. If the selling dealer would have done any kind of PDI before selling it I would have been ecstatic. To be honest, I don't know whom I am more aggravated with, Thor, Camping World or myself. My previous motor homes were both Fleetwoods and in 20 years each one required one or two trips to the dealer for recalls, but no warranty repair work. If my local Fleetwood dealer hadn't gone out of business I would have bought another one, but alas, I ended up with the Thor. The wife wanted a Winnebago, but the Thor was 25 grand cheaper. Now I know why.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #5

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post
Apparent habitual poster here...

Have had my 2018 Thor AXIS less than 2 weeks and its been daily repair after daily repair (see prior threads, and some I've been too busy to post).

Today I decide to check the driver/passenger front windows for signs of water intrusion before installing my Hellwig anti-sway bar, I noticed a slight bubble under the driver's side widow, at the lower front corner. I pressed on it and it appeared to be slightly soft.

So, I get the ladder out and sure enough, there are up to 1/8 inch gaps of BUTYL TAPE on the drivers side window frame to RV wall, and what's on the passenger side? FOAM... WTH??? Folks have been complaining for years about this exact issue, and THOR can't figure it out? Is it a scam to hope folks discover this obvious on-going issue after the warranty, at which time the dealers make their $$$ in repairs?

The passenger side was better sealed, but I decided to 3M Marine UV/underwater sealant both (after squishing down the drivers side butyl tape into its channel with the round end of a 7/16 wrench). This gives you an idea of the gap. COMPLETETLY UNACCEPTABLE!

It was at this time when I noticed that there was a crappy window hole cut on the drivers side, with approx. 1/8 inch of a hole showing.

I probably have the last AXIS 25.2 off the line, since they have cancelled it, and it shows... Add this to my list of warranty issues. Oh wait, also realized that the cheezy fresh water tank drain valve is clogged, and only drips... Took 24 hours to drain 1/3 tank. Can't blow through it due to its poorly designed placement.

All this I'm having to deal with, and Thor (Stephanie Wireman) denies my request for a proper alignment.

AJ
What's the config of the living area of your 25.2? My fresh tank is right under the couch. The low water drain is right under the couch and easily accessible. It took about 20 minutes to drain my tank before I pulled it out.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We worked on our Outlaw for 14 Months.
Never did get it working at 100 percent, and traded it in with a couple of very apparent issues that needed resolving...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:26 PM   #7

THOR #13661
Yes, the drain is under the couch, but it only protrudes a couple inches under the floorboard (over a tank). I bought some elbows to make a longer run to make it drain on the ground, and not on another tank.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Somewhere along the way...you missed the part of a thorough walk through and check everything out before you purchase. Now...well, you know who's paying the price. Stay on the same Forum with all your bitching posts...too many of them talking up too much space for the thousands of us who did it right the first time and are very happy!! "An ounce of prevention"...well, you know the rest of that one too. Sorry for the attitude but I get sick of this crap over and over and over again. SELL IT and find something better....good luck.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thor's QC folks at work...

Old 11-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #10

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I feel your pain. It took me 5 months of working on my brand new 29M before it was ready for an uneventful road trip. Every time we hit the road we found something new to fix or correct. I love my rig but if Thor had done even a half-assed job of quality control before it left the factory I would have been a happier camper. If the selling dealer would have done any kind of PDI before selling it I would have been ecstatic. To be honest, I don't know whom I am more aggravated with, Thor, Camping World or myself. My previous motor homes were both Fleetwoods and in 20 years each one required one or two trips to the dealer for recalls, but no warranty repair work. If my local Fleetwood dealer hadn't gone out of business I would have bought another one, but alas, I ended up with the Thor. The wife wanted a Winnebago, but the Thor was 25 grand cheaper. Now I know why.
I didn't like the tactics used by my dealer. When one of the PDI guys tells me I can drive with the rear slide out (safe & legal), the salesman tells us the rear bead on a 25.2 folds down for use while in motion (which was important for us, since I have my elderly parents with me), I know there's an issue...
Don't even get me started on that polymer scam. When I go to a tire store, I can see new tires, how can they prove they did the polymer? The RV was filthy and had stickers on it the day after the alleged polymer was put on (was in their covered shop).

We were RV show victims.

I had 3 PDI folks show me the RV and I still didn't know where the fresh water drain was located. Seeing cheap home depot water drain knobs all over made me

I would have used flexible pvc hoses with pvc knobs, but that's just me. There are like a million cheezy crimp-clamps used (have already fixed a leak under the kitchen sink (faulty crimp). I'll lay a "sham-wow" underneath all of the myriad of hosing under the bed and watch for wrinkles. A sham-wow works great for leak detection.

Does anyone know if the euro cabinet doors are pre-drilled for their hinges? I'd install them myself, if so. Ours are either mis-sized, or have screws protuding through the front finish.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #12827
Having worked in custom aircraft completion for almost 35 years prior to retirement, we learned early on, Quality must be built into a product, it can’t be inspected in. Rarely does any company inspect 100% of every item. Almost all manufacturing companies use statistical control. This process involves randomly sampling and testing a portion of the output.
Having said that, quality inspections can not compensate for poor design (i.e. drain type and location) and only partially compensate for poor workmanship.
Regarding the PDI, I don’t care how thorough you are, but you will not catch everything. For example, I bought my Freedom Elite 30FE “used”. Now, it only had 1060 miles on it and it still smelled “new” inside, but it was sold as used.
I was shown the freshwater drain valve, and noticed it was cheap looking, but what are you gonna do, ask them to replace it?
I was shown the switches for the hot water heater and fired up the propane side to heat water. Time did not allow for the water to cool off enough to see if the electric side worked. Being it was used, I had to “assume” ( yes I know the definition of assume) that it also worked.
However I found out on our first camping trip that it in fact, didn’t work. Making a long story short, I found a pinched, burnt wire, INSIDE the relay box attached to the back of the water heater tank that had to have been that way from the day the MH was built. Obviously the factory didn’t find the problem nor did the original owner.
As stated in previous posts, many of the products Thor builds are more affordable than other “better quality” RV’s. If you want better quality, you are going to have to pay for it.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #12

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Somewhere along the way...you missed the part of a thorough walk through and check everything out before you purchase. Now...well, you know who's paying the price. Stay on the same Forum with all your bitching posts...too many of them talking up too much space for the thousands of us who did it right the first time and are very happy!! "An ounce of prevention"...well, you know the rest of that one too. Sorry for the attitude but I get sick of this crap over and over and over again. SELL IT and find something better....good luck.
Well its hard to check "Everything" esp. when your new to RV's. I thought I checked "Everything" on my walk though (Spent 2 hours doing it) but I still found about 12 - 15 small cosmetic things that needed addressing and then 4 to 6 mo later I found other larger things - some the dealer fixed but most I just fixed myself or modified.

I think once he works out some of the major problems with his new RV and reads all of the "good things" on this forum he will WONT be posting "Bitching post" so much (or at least I hope - LOL).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 11-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #13

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Whatever Ritzy...

I hope your tail light lenses leak... These "bitching" posts of mine also recommend and show repairs. Feel free to block me. If Thor reads these, they may have these problem areas addressed. They've emailed me, so i know they are reading them.

Butyl tape on one side and foam on another? If that's bitching, so be it.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I DO hope that you're getting the issues beaten into what may come to pass as a "worthwhile solution"; so that you can come to enjoy your rig!
Old 11-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #15

THOR #12231
Hang in there New A-O....

Before I purchased my RV - I researched for a Year (or more) about RV's in general and also about my Axis so I knew exactly what to expect (or not expect) and I already had a list of mods and other stuff to fix or check out before I even drove it off the lot.

So if have NOT research before hand im sure it would be a shock on the build quality of these things. But I still had the RV bug after all of my finding and was willing to either put up with it or fix the stuff myself.

And I could not be happier (flaws and all).
Old 11-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Sometimes I get tired of the "holier than thou" attitude of some posters. I did a thorough walk thru of my new rig. I had a list of things added to the dealers "we owe you" list. But no reasonable amount of walk thru time will reveal coach batteries that die in 6 months. A drawer catch that breaks the third time you close it. The kink in a propane line under the coach. The list goes on but I made my point. For all you perfect buyers out there, if you don't like reading threads about people that wish Thor had done more in the quality department, move along. You don't have to click, read and then post your snarky troll like comments to the thread.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #17

State: Alaska
THOR #13281
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post
Whatever Ritzy...

I hope your tail light lenses leak... These "bitching" posts of mine also recommend and show repairs. Feel free to block me. If Thor reads these, they may have these problem areas addressed. They've emailed me, so i know they are reading them.

Butyl tape on one side and foam on another? If that's bitching, so be it.

I have a 2018 ACE 27.2 it came with about 20 items that needed repair. I mostly blame Thor as some were glaring misses. It wasn’t
really a component quality issue, it was the installation. I just got it back from the dealer. So far I haven’t had to redo anything as they did a good job. [emoji106]
On my first trip I tried the fridge on the inverter. Well since nothing was plugged into it.............!
One thing on the walkthrough was they showed me the AGS which I was really happy about since the salesman nor the brochure told me about it.
Thanks for the heads up on the taillights, I have to fix that too.
My previous rig drove like a beached whale. This one is a pleasure to drive and with the same engine and about 6,000 pounds lighter is more fun and less tiring.
Right now it doesn’t want to charge the chassis battery.
I might be missing something, Thor says their Class A’s charge the chassis battery on shore power and their C’s don’t.
I asked for a wiring diagram from them, got it by email in a couple minutes. Guess I should look at it before I call or take it back to the dealer.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #18

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
Having worked in custom aircraft completion for almost 35 years prior to retirement, we learned early on, Quality must be built into a product, it can’t be inspected in. Rarely does any company inspect 100% of every item. Almost all manufacturing companies use statistical control. This process involves randomly sampling and testing a portion of the output.
Having said that, quality inspections can not compensate for poor design (i.e. drain type and location) and only partially compensate for poor workmanship.
Regarding the PDI, I don’t care how thorough you are, but you will not catch everything. For example, I bought my Freedom Elite 30FE “used”. Now, it only had 1060 miles on it and it still smelled “new” inside, but it was sold as used.
I was shown the freshwater drain valve, and noticed it was cheap looking, but what are you gonna do, ask them to replace it?
I was shown the switches for the hot water heater and fired up the propane side to heat water. Time did not allow for the water to cool off enough to see if the electric side worked. Being it was used, I had to “assume” ( yes I know the definition of assume) that it also worked.
However I found out on our first camping trip that it in fact, didn’t work. Making a long story short, I found a pinched, burnt wire, INSIDE the relay box attached to the back of the water heater tank that had to have been that way from the day the MH was built. Obviously the factory didn’t find the problem nor did the original owner.
As stated in previous posts, many of the products Thor builds are more affordable than other “better quality” RV’s. If you want better quality, you are going to have to pay for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioradio View Post
I have a 2018 ACE 27.2 it came with about 20 items that needed repair. I mostly blame Thor as some were glaring misses. It wasn’t
really a component quality issue, it was the installation. I just got it back from the dealer. So far I haven’t had to redo anything as they did a good job. [emoji106]
On my first trip I tried the fridge on the inverter. Well since nothing was plugged into it.............!
One thing on the walkthrough was they showed me the AGS which I was really happy about since the salesman nor the brochure told me about it.
Thanks for the heads up on the taillights, I have to fix that too.
My previous rig drove like a beached whale. This one is a pleasure to drive and with the same engine and about 6,000 pounds lighter is more fun and less tiring.
Right now it doesn’t want to charge the chassis battery.
I might be missing something, Thor says their Class A’s charge the chassis battery on shore power and their C’s don’t.
I asked for a wiring diagram from them, got it by email in a couple minutes. Guess I should look at it before I call or take it back to the dealer.
Remember to redo the AC inlet.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #19

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Sometimes I get tired of the "holier than thou" attitude of some posters. I did a thorough walk thru of my new rig. I had a list of things added to the dealers "we owe you" list. But no reasonable amount of walk thru time will reveal coach batteries that die in 6 months. A drawer catch that breaks the third time you close it. The kink in a propane line under the coach. The list goes on but I made my point. For all you perfect buyers out there, if you don't like reading threads about people that wish Thor had done more in the quality department, move along. You don't have to click, read and then post your snarky troll like comments to the thread.
Thanks for the fill, Lt...
Old 11-21-2018, 03:17 AM   #20

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Alaska
THOR #7867
News Flash! It would seem there aren't any quality control officers. This becomes clearer to me every day. Just very sloppy workmanship. Yet I must say I do like my coach.