Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RW28
State: Florida
THOR #11376
HDMI Cables - Quantum RW28

My DVD does not play on my TV. The HDMI cable from DVD to dinette TV does not seem to be a direct cable -- even though Thor Customer Service assures me that it is. (I placed an ohm-meter on the ground sheath between two ends and verified that it is not a direct cable.)

There seems to be an HDMI switch box in the system -- as described on page 27 of Thor AE System Guide (available from their web site.) However, I can't find it and Thor Customer Service says RW28 does not have one.

Have other RW28 owners seen this problem?

Old 04-29-2018, 05:37 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #9399
Bad Cable?

Could be a bad HDMI cable? I have a new Hurricane. I couldn’t get the DVD to play in the bedroom. I bought a 25ft. HDMI cable, and connected it to the DVD and bedroom TV. The DVD played on the TV just fine. I also tested the cable with a HDMI test to verify it was a bad cable. One more thing to add the list of things for the dealer to fix next week.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:58 AM   #3

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
You probably had same installer as me. I found one end of my hdmi cable stuffed behind microwave. When I decide to get another RV it won’t be a Thor. Too many quality issues that shouldn’t be.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Quantum
THOR #9015
Push Button at Coax Connector

I have not played with this for a while but I seem to remember something I had to do in order to get the DVD player to show up on the TV input selector.

On our Quantum, in the cabinet above the microwave, there is a push button switch located right next to where the coax cable hooks into wall (on the same wall plate - left side of the cabinet). Seems to me I had to push that button in to get the DVD player to work.

The button is not visible on our rig because it is hidden right behind the connector where the coax goes into the side of the cabinet on the left side. You have to feel / reach just behind the coax connector to feel it and push it in. A green light on the push button switch does light up when you push it and goes off when you push it again.

I read a post about this switch when I was trying to use the DVD player the first time. I did get it working - I am not positive if the switch was to choose which TV to send the DVD signal to or if it was simply required in order to get the DVD to work. I also do not remember which TV (outside or inside) I was using for the DVD. Sorry - it has been a while.

In any case, it may be worth investigating if you still have not figured it out.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:02 AM   #5

THOR #11376
Thanks for the reply. I have that button as well, but that is for the coax feed (it is the coax amplifier.) That doesn't impact the separate HDMI cable from my Blu-Ray/DVD player.

The Thor AV User Guide shows an optional HDMI selector -- to allow selection from multiple HDMI sources. I don't have that, but I do think I was supposed to have a HDMI splitter (splits a single HDMI to multiple TVs.) Thor service hasn't been able to tell me where this is supposed to be.

I guess I'll just have to move the DVD and attach directly to the TV when I want to watch it. This isn't a big deal -- my main issue is just the 'irritation factor' in knowing something was not hooked up correctly on a new RV.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:01 PM   #6

State: Ohio
THOR #8515
hdmi

my challenger 37yt does not have a cable to the front tv,thor said it might be behind the fire place they are not sure . I tried to get it into the thor factory service center called Reed 3 time to schedule no answer left msg no return call. Tired of dealing with these people will find some one else to work on my coach from now on
Old 05-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #7

THOR #11548
I just picked up my new Quantum RW28 last Friday and I love it. The coach was pre-wired with a Coax TV Cable and HDMI cable in the bedroom but, no bedroom TV. Everything worked fine on the living room TV. I installed a TV in the bedroom and the HDMI cable was dead. I discovered two HDMI cables next to the DVD player in the cabinet located over the couch. I assumed one cable went to the living room TV and one to the bedroom since there is no HDMI cable attached to the outside TV. I connected both HDMI cables one at a time to the DVD Player and still nothing on the bedroom TV. The Coax TV antenna works great. Oh well, something to add to my list when I take it back to the dealer for repairs.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #8

Model: RW28
THOR #12200
2018 RW28 DVD Player/HDMI problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBDavis422 View Post
I just picked up my new Quantum RW28 last Friday and I love it. The coach was pre-wired with a Coax TV Cable and HDMI cable in the bedroom but, no bedroom TV. Everything worked fine on the living room TV. I installed a TV in the bedroom and the HDMI cable was dead. I discovered two HDMI cables next to the DVD player in the cabinet located over the couch. I assumed one cable went to the living room TV and one to the bedroom since there is no HDMI cable attached to the outside TV. I connected both HDMI cables one at a time to the DVD Player and still nothing on the bedroom TV. The Coax TV antenna works great. Oh well, something to add to my list when I take it back to the dealer for repairs.
We picked up our 2018 RW28 June 15th and have the same problem. I know its not the DVD player, I connected it directly to each TV and it worked on each TV. Did the dealer fix the problem for you? Please let us know what became of the DVD problem.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Not that this will help but --- all Thor coaches with two or more TV have a "box with many buttons - BOMB) located some where. Mine is above the refrigerator, but you dealer's tech should know where it is. This were all the HDMI cables (3 total) terminate. The BOMB is really a HDMI switch box made to receive and transmit video signals through the HDMI cables. The DVD player should be connected to this box and the proper buttons selected for the TV(s) desired. My coach's terrestrial antenna controls and coax jack are located some 12 ft away. I ask Thor how I was to wire it for my DirecTV genie and they recommend wireless as my HDMI cables run in the right wall in a very small chase. I was able to get a video wiring schematic from Thor which shows the equipment locations but not much more. My BOMB now resides in a storage compartment under the bed as all the video in the coach is wireless.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #9399
I’m still waiting for “approval” from Thor to replace the cable, or says the dealer. I’m not sure how long that takes.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieHV View Post
I’m still waiting for “approval” from Thor to replace the cable, or says the dealer. I’m not sure how long that takes.
Give Thor a call, you may find out that the dealer hasn't even contacted them yet.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:18 AM   #12

THOR #12200
2018 RW28 DVD Player/HDMI problems

I found out where the Box is supposed to be, it's missing. I started following the HDMI cable from the tv and found it disconnected under the Hot Water Heater under the sink. The real sad part was the Manufacture(THOR) had pinched the HDMI cable under the cabinet. I also found the HDMI cable coming from the DVD Player under the sink, disconnected. THOR must have damaged that cable also. I say that because when I connected the Purple HDMI cable from the DVD player via a HDMI Coupler, to the HDMI cable to the TV it did not work, but when I bypassed the Purple HDMI and connected the DVD player directly to the TV HDMI cable, via the coupler, it worked. The Purple cable is going to be way too hard for anyone to replace so I will just move the DVD player and mount it on a shelf just below the TV and buy another portable DVD player for the bedroom. THOR left a real rats nest under the sink. I am very disappointed in THOR, this is our 2nd THOR and the quality does not seem to be as good as the 1st (2006 Majestic 23A)160500 miles, we just felt it was time for an upgrade, but then again, if this is the biggest problem we have, we don't have much to complain about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	La Tortuga II HDMI Cables.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	11174  
Old 07-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #13

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl5142 View Post
I found out where the Box is supposed to be, it's missing. I started following the HDMI cable from the tv and found it disconnected under the Hot Water Heater under the sink. The real sad part was the Manufacture(THOR) had pinched the HDMI cable under the cabinet. I also found the HDMI cable coming from the DVD Player under the sink, disconnected. THOR must have damaged that cable also. I say that because when I connected the Purple HDMI cable from the DVD player via a HDMI Coupler, to the HDMI cable to the TV it did not work, but when I bypassed the Purple HDMI and connected the DVD player directly to the TV HDMI cable, via the coupler, it worked. The Purple cable is going to be way too hard for anyone to replace so I will just move the DVD player and mount it on a shelf just below the TV and buy another portable DVD player for the bedroom. THOR left a real rats nest under the sink. I am very disappointed in THOR, this is our 2nd THOR and the quality does not seem to be as good as the 1st (2006 Majestic 23A)160500 miles, we just felt it was time for an upgrade, but then again, if this is the biggest problem we have, we don't have much to complain about.

Rats nest is right. My cables and wires look like a drunk monkey ran them.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:45 AM   #14

THOR #12200
I eventually just relocated the DVD player. My thoughts was, we could send the MH back to the dealer for a week or more and they would never be able to fix the problem, or I could just purchase a shelf and relocate the DVD player. I choose to relocate the DVD player. I purchased a new DVD player for the bedroom which also plays CDs and USB, from Amazon. Sorry about the picture being sideways but this thread loaded it that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180713_202737.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	11417  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:59 AM   #15

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl5142 View Post
I eventually just relocated the DVD player. My thoughts was, we could send the MH back to the dealer for a week or more and they would never be able to fix the problem, or I could just purchase a shelf and relocate the DVD player. I choose to relocate the DVD player. I purchased a new DVD player for the bedroom which also plays CDs and USB, from Amazon. Sorry about the picture being sideways but this thread loaded it that way.

Where did you get Song of the South.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #16

THOR #12200
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Where did you get Song of the South.
A few years back we visited the only Presidential Library in the United States that does not belong to a United States President, and we found it in the gift shop.

home
Old 07-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #17

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieHV View Post
Could be a bad HDMI cable? I have a new Hurricane. I couldn’t get the DVD to play in the bedroom. I bought a 25ft. HDMI cable, and connected it to the DVD and bedroom TV. The DVD played on the TV just fine. I also tested the cable with a HDMI test to verify it was a bad cable. One more thing to add the list of things for the dealer to fix next week.
Yeah I have a windsport and hooking up the dvd player was a tough job (upside down and backwards) but yes it works. Problem is I either lay the dvd on the window sill 3 ft below and cord not that long or behind the tv, which means I get the dvd running then swing the TV down and don't change anything until it's over. So I cut a board to size and installed it just below the TV to have a place for the dvd to set on. Heck with all this, I got lots of drawers next to the bed ends so I'll get some books to read before I go to sleep (or maybe I'll sample my wine selection).
Old 05-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #18

THOR #15031
My guess is thor ran the 25" Hdmi cable from the dvd player to under the living room slide and into the compartment under the sink. There is a purple coupler connected to it and another hdmi cable runs up to the TV in the living room. The cable under the side is the one that is not working on my rv. My dealer is going to ask that instead of trying to replace that cable, that they would install a wireless hdmi unit that will send the dvd signal wirelessly to the tv. This is fine with me as then the reciever can be moved to one of the other two tvs to watch a dvd outside or in the bedroom and no cables need to be run.
The wireless system I'm using right now is by actiontec and I believe that is the same unit they want to install in my RV, I will then have two setups and all I will need to do is purchase one more receiver from actiontec so I can send the dvd or whatever signal I want to all three tvs.

Jeff