Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Head light assy removal

Has anyone ever taken the head light assy. out of an F53. It look like to only way to repair the damage at the light is to have the light out. I've got it loose from all mounting brackets except the aluminum plate on the back which has 2 screws that come up from the bottom which of course is blocked by some fiberglassed in blocking to hold the turn signal.
I'm thinking about taking the clear plastic cover off the front of the assy. making the whole thing thinner tenth maybe it will come out thru the hole in the cap.
The assy. was installed before the front cap was installed and is larger than the opening in the cap.

So far I've had to remove the horn, the windshield tank, a bunch of skin off my knuckles. If I had longer hair some of that would be gone too.

Why they can't stay with either metric or inch I'll never know. Of course the one I take under the MH is the wrong one. Done for the day I'll try again in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190824_162800.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	19807  

Old 08-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
What year is your MH? I looked under or 2015 Windsport 27K (passenger side) and only see 3 points where the lamp assembly is attached to brackets that appear to be molded into the front cap. In ours it appears after unbolted it would pull out along the outside wall of the MH and then drop down. The 3 mounting points I see are located top center, bottom center, and outside wall edge. There may be another mounting point that I can't see or feel on the inside edge. Our MH is parked where I can't get to the drivers side corner. Our MH uses headlight assemblies from 2007/2008 Tahoe according to the drawings I got from Thor.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #3

THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
What year is your MH? I looked under or 2015 Windsport 27K (passenger side) and only see 3 points where the lamp assembly is attached to brackets that appear to be molded into the front cap. In ours it appears after unbolted it would pull out along the outside wall of the MH and then drop down. The 3 mounting points I see are located top center, bottom center, and outside wall edge. There may be another mounting point that I can't see or feel on the inside edge. Our MH is parked where I can't get to the drivers side corner. Our MH uses headlight assemblies from 2007/2008 Tahoe according to the drawings I got from Thor.
Mine is a 2015 34E. That's what I'm finding on the driver side too. The problem is I'm having a hard time finding space to get the light out . There is framing under and on the side that leaves no space. Next I'll try to remove the back aluminum plate so the cables that run between the light and light frame.
If I can at least move the light enough to get my hands in to do the repair to the fibre glass I'll be ok. I'd like to be able to get a grinder in to clean up the rough fiberglass and install a support block covered with fiberglass Matt. The re gellcoat the out side. Thanks for the response
Old 08-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Have you found any info on color codes? I have never needed them but would like to have them "just in case" We used to have a very good automotive paint store in our area that could mix anything if you had a sample . They also had access to many gel-coat colors as well as we live in a heavy boating area. Good luck
Old 08-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #5

THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
Have you found any info on color codes? I have never needed them but would like to have them "just in case" We used to have a very good automotive paint store in our area that could mix anything if you had a sample . They also had access to many gel-coat colors as well as we live in a heavy boating area. Good luck
The damage was done on Friday so I haven't looked for color codes. Planned to contact Thor just in case they had them. Worst case I can take a compartment door in for matching.
Another option is to get a vinyl decal to cover the area, maybe get creative with some eye lashes or something
Old 08-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #6

THOR #13360
I finally got the light assy. out I had to remove the rear bracket form the assy. so the wire cables didn't hold me in place. The assy. came out toward the center of the coach and out thru the hood.
Pix follow. 1st looking into the hole where the assy was, you can see the light bulbs
Next the lower bracket for the bottom of the assy. note the screw that didn't get into the body panel
next The driver side mount location this one had an aluminum bracket that the 1 screw pulled out, I'm trying to find the hole so I can relocate the bracket
Next the view from the center of the coach showing the route the assy. took
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190825_103124.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	19841   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190825_103121.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	19842