Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.2
State: California
THOR #9323
Headlight 2017 Ace 30.2

2017 ACE 30.2 I have never driven at night except this week. My front head lights will not come on. All the other lights work. I assume there is a fuse, but cant find it. Is there another fuse that is just for the headlights? If so where would it be located?

Old 11-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
You might ant to check fuses in the Power Distribution box in the engine compartment......I assume it is still near the air intake snorkel on Ford F53 chassis. For fuse assignments you can down load the owners maintenance pdf from Ford (free) for your F53 chassis....I assume 2016 chassis for a 2017 coach......try this link, but I am not sure it will work: Look under fuses if this link just gives you the whole manual:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_12_2015.pdf

If PDB fuses or relays are not the problem then check for a good ground connection on the main wires that typically terminate under a grounding screw on the chassis radiator mount near the right side of the radiator. Could also be just a bad light switch on the dash too.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #3

THOR #2631
You should also check the fuses 25 and 31 in the fuse panel beside the Driver's left foot for low beam headlights......you will find these fuse assignments per my previous link (look under fuses then scroll down the fuse assignments until you get to the Passenger Compartment fuse panel). Good luck contortioning into a pretzel to get to this fuse panel. Let the DW know where you are going in case you go missing for a day or so and she can come and rescue you .
Old 11-13-2019, 03:54 AM   #4

THOR #9323
Thanks guys. This is the response I got from Thor::
The headlights low beam and high beam are in the same fuse.

So I guess it’s not the fuse since the high beams and others work fine. Just the low beams don’t work. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

THOR #2631
Phone Thor again and see if you get the same story from a different tech. It wouldn't be the first time mis-information (or incomplete information) has been given by tech support. If you go back upstream in the headlight circuit it probably is a single large fuse feeding both the high and low beam lights......but as you move closer to the loads from what I see on the Ford chassis fuse listings it shows the two low beams fed with their own 10 amp fuses in the fuse panel by the Driver's foot. (pages 77 and 78 in the link I provided). The ground is common so if high beams are working that's not the issue. Only the dash light switch and steering column multifunction switch in the mix; or a common low beam bad connection ahead of the two 10 amp fuses. The other interesting thing is if the 10 amp fuses are used in the low beam circuit, why would both blow.......which seems to suggest something upstream between the main headlight feed fuse and the separate fusing for the low beams. It would be nice if someone had the actual schematic that we could refer to. I am attaching the only dated (2004) Ford RV schematic I have which is likely not exactly what you have now.....but it may help. It shows the two 10 amp fuses on top right side of the diagram that jives with the fuse record for a 2016 F53 chassis posted previously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Typical 2004 Ford F53 Headlight Circuit.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	21421  
Old 11-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #6

THOR #9323
Well I checked all the fuses under the hood, they are all good. Inside by drivers side by the pedals. You have to be a contortionist to get to those fuses. Took off the engine cover to make it a lil easier, but alas those fuses are fine as well. Stumped here.... ground wires are fine as well.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Question

It may sound pretty basic but...Is it possible that your low beam bulbs are burned out?
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #8

THOR #2631
So without the current headlight schematic it might be a challenge here. I note from the old 2004 F53 schematic it shows the DRL connection take off after the steering column multi-function switch (of course that junction could be anywhere if it's even accurate for your 2016 coach chassis). Do your daytime running lights come on when the engine is running? (I am not sure if the coach has to be in gear; brakes off or not for DRL to come on and if they feed the low beam lamps. They should just come on with engine running I think? If DRL works and they are using the low beam elements, then your problem is between the DRL power junction and the two 10 amp fuses that feed the low beams. If DRL does not come on then the other approach is testing the dash light switch itself and multi-function control switch on the steering column with a voltmeter to see where the power is being lost.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:26 AM   #9

THOR #9323
Thanks for all the info. I got tired of dealing with it and am having our mechanic handle it
Old 11-15-2019, 11:29 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
We have an ACE 30.4 and when I had a turn signal that wouldn’t work, checked every fuse that I could see including the panel on the driver’s side near the parking brake. The third time I wedged my self under the steering wheel to check that fuse panel, I noticed another fuse box a little higher up. And there I found the blown turn signal fuse. You may want to take another look to see if there is another box above the driver side box.