Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5091
what's with the walls?

I wanted to try to mount some small shelves and other non-heavy items to some of the walls in my thor ACE, 2014. I find I can't drill into the walls because I am either using the wrong bit or the walls are too tough.
Has anyone successfully drilled into this wall material and if so, what did you use to make the holes?

Bob

Old 05-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
A sharp bit. Also, you may be hitting the structure within the wall. Same answer, sharp bit.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Anywhere heavy loads are designed for install on outside walls - steel plates are built into the wall for additional support. Usually can be found around edges of cabinets, hand rails, seat belt mounts etc. Take strong magnet and test area. Also could be hitting aluminum tube that is built into wall. On mornings when dew is on sides of coach you will see outlines of the aluminum studs. Don't think you should be hitting anything hard on interior wall. BE VERY CAREFUL drilling holes - study area first to see if plumbing or electrical stuff might be there.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I am always very cautious drilling into RV walls. The last thing you want to drill into, is plumbing or an electrical wire run. What little drilling I have done, has been no problem, walls are not that tough, unless as already commented, you run into supporting structure.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If items are light to medium weight use 3M Command strips. Clean all surfaces with alcohol & if you think 2 strips will hold use 4. We've had all sorts of items on the walls for 4 1/2 years now & never had anything fall & NO holes left behind. I don't leave the pull tabs exposed as recommended, usually cut them off, & when I need to remove an item I use a plastic putty knife & gently work it off the wall.
I found screws DON'T hold in the thin wall paneling when bouncing own the highway, but the strips DO.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote