Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2017, 03:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Heater & A/C not working

2016 Chateau 31L. Went out today to run the generator for a bit and usually turn on the A/C fan for an extra load and it would not come on, tried turning on the A/C and it wont come on, flipped the controller over to heat and nothing. Everything else in the coach is working. Checked the breakers all good. Is there a fuse for the T/Stat heat and A/C controller?
Has that Coleman Mach controller.
It was working fine a month ago. Also tried it on shore power and nothing.
Suggestions??

Old 11-27-2017, 05:02 AM   #2

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
not sure what the temp is in your area, but there is a low temp limit where the ac won't run cause it to cold outside? but the heater should work
Old 11-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #3

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Sounds like its time to get the VOM out and check for voltages: 24VAC at T-stat, and 110VAC at AC and Heater.
I'm not at all familiar with your Chateau, but from basic HVAC knowledge, the AC and Heater don't really have anything in common but the T-stat and the step-down transformer providing the 24VAC to the T-Stat. I'm thinking I would be looking at it the hardest.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Sounds like its time to get the VOM out and check for voltages: 24VAC at T-stat, and 110VAC at AC and Heater.
I'm not at all familiar with your Chateau, but from basic HVAC knowledge, the AC and Heater don't really have anything in common but the T-stat and the step-down transformer providing the 24VAC to the T-Stat. I'm thinking I would be looking at it the hardest.
Except there is no 24 VAC, the control voltage is 12 VDC from your house batteries.

And the heater is 12 VDC, not 110 VAC.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
Edk

Model: Chateau 35sk
State: Connecticut
THOR #7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
2016 Chateau 31L. Went out today to run the generator for a bit and usually turn on the A/C fan for an extra load and it would not come on, tried turning on the A/C and it wont come on, flipped the controller over to heat and nothing. Everything else in the coach is working. Checked the breakers all good. Is there a fuse for the T/Stat heat and A/C controller?
Has that Coleman Mach controller.
It was working fine a month ago. Also tried it on shore power and nothing.
Suggestions??
Check the small service switch is not off at the furnace, and I'm assuming you have the inuse switch on in the coach. Hope this helps
Ed K
Old 11-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
The thermostat gets 12v from the furnace via the red lead. Your thermostat then sends 12v back to the furnace if heat is required. If air conditioning is required it also sends 12v to the a/c control board. No 12v, nothing will work.

You have a fuse on your control panel that provides 12v for appliances such as refer/water heater/furnace etc. It may not be labeled correctly. But any fuse on that panel can be verified. There is no in line fuse to the heater. If you have an Atwood heater, you have a breaker/reset switch in the furnace, it's located on the back of the furnace. If it is tripped, you get no 12v to the heater or thermostat. Thus nothing works.

There is a small fuse inside the thermostat, pop the cover and verify it is good. You don't need a meter for that it's a glass type and you can visual it.

That's about it.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #7

THOR #4243
Sounds like I am not getting 12V to the T/Stat controller. will have to get my test light out and check fuses at the breaker panel, if all is ok there then pull the T/Stat and check for 12V to it.
Might be a good time to just get rid of the T/Stat and purchase a new digital T/Stat. Did this on my previous RV and really liked it. What's the popular digital T/Stat people are using these days?
Old 11-28-2017, 01:07 AM   #8

THOR #4243
Thanks to nosticks, I found the problem. It was the off/reset switch on the furnace. I forgot to switch it back when I was in there drying the electronics board, it got wet after a recent trip to Blue Beacon.

Thanks Nosticks
Old 11-28-2017, 02:40 AM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Welcome.