Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2019, 02:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Going from 50A to 30A

My RV has 50A service but I have plans to visit a few campgrounds that only have 30A. Will my only issue be running only one AC unit? I don't want to stress out the system so I'm looking for input.

Great Wife
Life is Good!
skiptut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:41 AM   #2

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
In my experience with my fiver, you may have other issues as well - running the microwave, tv, ac and water heater or hair drier of coffee pot may cause you to trip your breaker. If you use a toaster oven, and the ca you could trip as well. It might be a case of knowing how many amps each device needs and calculating that or do it by trial and error. Remember that some devices take more amps to get up to full function and others use equal amps all the time. A way to save amps is to keep your water heater on gas. Just my thoughts.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:46 AM   #3

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Not sure about your question.
But I understand that; RV 30 amp, is not the same as household 30 amp service, even though the same pattern plug connector.
RV only one prong gets a 110V leg with 30 amp single pole breaker, where household gets two separate 110V legs with a double pole 30 amp breaker.

I believe RV 50 amp is wired the same as household 50 amp.
Having two 110 volt legs protected with a 50 amp dbl pole breaker.

So there could be a problem trying to run your rig if an adapter runs both to the single pole 30 amp, thus the amps drawn scenario as Chuck and Mary Ann mentioned.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:54 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptut View Post
My RV has 50A service but I have plans to visit a few campgrounds that only have 30A. Will my only issue be running only one AC unit? I don't want to stress out the system so I'm looking for input.
Up to 2017 all Thor MC from plant 750 less than 32 ft came with 30 amp power centers. I know as I have one. If you try to draw more than 28 amps from a 30 amp pedestal for over 2 minutes, the pedestal's 30 amp circuit breaker will pop. Just turn everything in the coach and reset the circuit breaker on the pedestal and start all over. You will learn the A/C and the microwave is the max the 30 amp circuit breaker.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:06 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Not sure about your question.
But I understand that; RV 30 amp, is not the same as household 30 amp service, even though the same pattern plug connector.
RV only one prong gets a 110V leg with 30 amp single pole breaker, where household gets two separate 110V legs with a double pole 30 amp breaker.

I believe RV 50 amp is wired the same as household 50 amp.
Having two 110 volt legs protected with a 50 amp dbl pole breaker.

So there could be a problem trying to run your rig if an adapter runs both to the single pole 30 amp, thus the amps drawn scenario as Chuck and Mary Ann mentioned.
A 30 amp adapter ties both sides of the 50 amp power center (L1, L2) together. The pedestal circuit beaker supplies only 3,600 watts,less it the voltage is below 120 volts (which it usually is during the summer).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:07 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Or if you have time install a meter like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so you don't have to guess what you're using.

Plugging a 50 Amp RV into a 30 Amp source will cut your available current to less than 1/3 what you are used to so you are limited to two major AC loads at the same time at best and nothing else.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:50 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
We’ve done this several times. Just run your fridge and water heater on propane. Make sure you are completely level before you use propane, especially for your fridge.
You won’t be able to run both a/c’s, but you can run one a/c and the fan on the other. When you need to use the microwave (or hair dryer, coffee maker, etc), just shut the ac unit off (you can keep the fan running however to move air). You just have to do the “amp shuffle”, that’s all!
Old 02-22-2019, 05:20 AM   #8

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
10scDust
All properly wired 30 amp Single pole circuit outlets are the same by code.
The household circuit you described is a Double pole 30 amp. In most localities this is 2 hots and a ground. Most appliances that use this don't need a neutral. Some localities require a 4th conductor so that you have a ground and a neutral. Each plug/cord pair is designed with unique prong setup, so that when done to code, you will not be able to plug in to the wrong type of power supply outlet. Some people have learned the hard way when they convert a 30 amp double pole outlet to a 30 single pole outlet and do not change the breaker and wiring to be a single pole 30. They plug the camper in and fry everything with 220 volts cause the white wire is hot instead of being a neutral.
The 50 amp adapter just connects both hot prongs to the one hot leg on the 30 amp single pole supply. You can run everything in the camper.... just not at the same time.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #9

THOR #4735
...there's no really thing such as 'stressing' your system, it either works, or it doesn't....
i.e., a breaker will trip.

the only 'difference' between 50amp service(100amps), and 30amp service(30amps), is the 'amount' of amps you have to power the multiple appliance and devices in your RV, all at the same time. The 120v incoming 'power' is the same, no matter 50amp or 30amp.

If you trip a breaker, whether in your RV's panel box, or the outside Pedestal breaker, you'll know you are using too much amperage. The question then will be 'WHICH' of my appliances or devices, or the combination of, is causing me to go over the limit?

Roof air conditioners get the usual argument that they 'somehow' aren't allowed to be run together when only 30amp service... but that is balony. The question is really how many OTHER things you are ALSO trying to power at the same time.
Large loads, such as the Battery Charger(via the Inverter or the Converter), your Electric Water Heater, and the Microwave are the general culprits that lead to tripped breakers.
While you may also be running TVs, Satellite receivers, phone and tablet chargers, and other things, they require such little power that they, themselves, aren't usually a worry.

Plug into 30amp power with your 50/30 Adapter.

-Turn off your Electric Water Heater switch
-Turn Down, or off, your battery Charger(if you have a Magnum Inverter and remote panel, push the SHORE button, and turn it down to 5amps, or even press the CHARGER button to turn it completely off)

-Turn on the first roof air conditioner
-after the first is up and cooling, turn on the other

you'll be just fine.... if you need the microwave, turn off one of the air conditioners while you run it, simple. if you need the electric water heater, turn off one of the air conditioners, until the water has been heated, etc.

Having an RV and expecting all the amenities, i.e., everything running at the same time, requires Electrical Management - you'll become an electrical engineer in no time!

enjoy...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #10

THOR #4735
also, I'll add a note:

you may find that some campgrounds have 'weak' 30amp breakers at their pedestal, unfortunately..so,so many RVrs are using these, plugging in and out of the outlet, and flipping the breaker on and off, that over time, these breakers see so much more 'usage' than the normal typical house breaker, and can become overused.

a weak breaker can create the symptoms in your RV that you are using 'too much' power, because the pedestal breaker trips quite often. Many times this is the breaker, itself, not your overuse of any power.

How can you solve this? If you have tried to run both air conditioners at the same time, while having most everything else off, and it trips the pedestal breaker, chances are the breaker itself needs to be replaced. Have the campground change it out for you. You may immediately see that now you can use both air conditioners, and other things, and have no problem.

Last year I arrived an plugged my 50amp coach into a typical 30amp rv outlet at our local campground, on a very humid and hot day...
I immediately started tripping the campground breaker every 5 minutes or so, and knew something was up, as both of my roof air conditioners had no problems running on 30amp at the previous campground I had just left...

so, I walked down and contacted the 'host camper', who told me that I was just trying to use 'too much' electricity and that both of my air conditioners would never 'work' on 30amp service(as though I was some 'new' camper, in a diesel pusher, who didn't 'know' any better!... I've only traveled over 80,000 miles so far!).
I explained the 'facts', politely, and asked if he had an extra 30amp breaker I could switch out. He radioed his maintenance man, reluctantly, and the maintenance stopped by and basically 'told' me the same thing - it'll never work both on the single 30amp breaker... but, he somewhat begrudgingly obliged me, and came back with a new breaker, which he installed.
They were both amazed, and maybe dumbfounded, when I stepped in the coach, turned on both a/c units, and had them both running when I stepped back out. They had never 'seen' anyone do this, and had always been 'told' that it wasn't possible.
Now they have proof. Now they know. Even campgrounds don't have all the 'facts'.

I'll also throw in the fact that the previous small rv park we had just come from had the same 'wow' admission when they found out I was running both a/c units, at the same time, while on their 30amp service. The owner told me he had always been 'told' that campers couldn't do 'that', and he even owns his own diesel pusher motorhome, with two roof air conditioners, and had traveled the country several years before settling down and running this small family 'campground'! He, himself, had never tried it, because he simple only listened to the 'rumors' about it, instead of investigating the facts.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:36 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I do it all the time. Using an adapter I plug my 50 amp coach into a 30 amp pedestal. Every thing works fine. If I turn my water heater to propane I can even run both A/Cs.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote