Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Louisiana
THOR #3298
Help - electric short rims are hot!

I am new to rv's and just purchased a 2015 thor four winds 31e class c. I have only had it about a month. Was getting ready for a trip tomorrow and while washing the coach got a little shock when I touched the rims.

I was able to narrow it down to it only happens when connected to shore power and is stronger on the drivers side. I was plugged in to 15 amp wall outlet using an adapter. I am guessing there is a short somewhere touching the frame with the line coming in from shore power.

I am going to get under there tomorrow before I leave and see if I can find any issues. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm looking for pointers on where to start looking. I don't think I'm going to let this stop my trip but would like to figure it out before I leave.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Dakota
THOR #3001
Not so much a short as an open to Ground. With the Ground path open, you become the path when touching the frame (wheel). I would suspect the receptacle you are plugged into.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I'd also check the adapter you are using to make sure connections are good, particularly the ground.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:05 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
It could be in your power cord.

This should be fixed ASAP.

Bruce
Old 11-27-2015, 03:24 AM   #5

THOR #3298
Thanks for the help. I am at a campground and do not have the issue That i noted at home. So I think, like said above, it is either a ground issue with the wall outlet or the 30 amp to 15 amp adapter. I will not be using the adapter or the wall outlet until I determine what the issue is.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Invest in a surge protector. These can detect both open grounds and reversed (hot and neutral) wiring in the outlet you are plugged into. Every RV'er should have one. They vary in price from around $50 to $300, depending on features and capacity (30 or 50Amps).

Almost all of the surge protectors detect open grounds and reversed wiring, as well as have some degree of surge/lightning protection. The more expensive ones usually add brown-out protection (they can automatically disconnect your coach when the voltage drops too low), voltmeters, remote panels, etc.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:06 AM   #7

THOR #3298
Thanks for the replies. The list of things needed for an rv seems to be endless. Apparently the surge protector would be a good investment. One would think that for $80,000 + the rv would have one built in but that would only make sense.