Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2016, 06:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3822
Help. Is this typical? Chateau 31W Issues

Our experience has not been that great. We purchased the RV last spring and had some trips planned for the upcoming summer. First couple of outings were to the local lake. Everything was good for the most part, but AC was not near good enough at keeping the RV cool. 95 degress outside, 85 at best inside. Also had trouble with the generator shutting off. Yes, we kept the gas tank above half. Had to cut the trip short and ended up back home at a local lake. Storm came through and knocked out the power, so on generator power. Fuse trips on generator. Took a while to figure that one out. Purchased a portable AC to take along on our next trip to Branson, MO. Running lights in the rear went out on the RV. Driving at night, wife followed me, so made it work. Went to level the rv with the auto leveling, said it was level, but was clearly not. Took a coke can on its side and it roled downhill off of the table. Door Lock started sticking and would not unlock. Fridge latch would nut stay shut while driving down the road, tv did not work with cable. Found out they do not have the new modulator in their cheap tv, so does not work with new cable. AC still an issue. Blows cold, but hardly coming through vents. Took the AC cover off and that seemed to help. Good thing we purchased a portable ac . Sink plumbing started leaking, and a storm came through and one of the windows about the couch started leaking. The seam on the couch was already coming apart as well. After returning from Branson, took the rv into the dealer. They have had it nearly 6 weeks now and still waiting on Thor to approve the repair to the seam on the couch. The dealer also told me that the AC is working as it should . If that is the case, a single ac unit on the 31 w is simply not enough. Since the 31w is a 30 amp, cant just run another ac unit. Will have to wire it seperately and power with 110. $1500 or so to add. Anyone else having trouble with their ac in the 31w not keeping the rv cool during the day. We were in 90 to 95 degree days with the rv inside at 80-85. Seems it would cool better than that. Is this par for the Thor RV life?

Old 09-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
There are plenty of threads on the ac' not cooling properly especially when it's in the 90's. I myself installed a second unit in the place of the Fantastic fan in the bedroom and ran a separate wire down to plug into the 110 outlet at the power pole. This saved us a couple times especially last weekend at the Beach Music Festival Emerald Isle. Had it in the low 70's most of the time. The unit was $588 plus some #10 wire and a plug. It doesn't have ducting and actually feels a lot colder plus it blows straight down the center of the rv from back to front. I have to believe the new units with this new freon do not work as good as the older ones. I have a park model 38 with a single 15000 at my farm 2002 model and it will freeze you out.

When running the generator it's good to run the fridge and hot water heater on gas to take some of the load off.