Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2016, 05:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Hidden water leak

So I am sitting in the RV watching TV because its pouring down rain out when I hear a drip drip drip. I turned off the TV and started looking around to be sure it was just outside and not inside. I looked everywhere and could not find any water inside but when I stepped down on the first step to open the door it splashed. I initially thought the door had not been closed and water was coming in but it was sealed tight, then I noticed drops coming from the counter top. I traced the water back to the range top but could not see where it was coming from. Then suddenly I get a stream of water from the range hood and it stops then a few min later another stream and it stops. I found puddles forming above the filter in the sheet metal seams. Water was coming in through the stove vent fan. I started thinking the louvres were stuck open and rain was driving in so I grabbed a Walmart bag and piece of duct tape and stepped out in the pouring rain to quickly tape the bag over the vent. The water stopped and the next day I went to investigate. The vent was closed and I could not see any reason water was getting in. I did not have any way to see the top of the plastic vent so a few days later I was in a Walmart parking lot and pulled as close to a curb as I could so I could stack my wheel blocks on the curb and see the top of the vent. Guess what, no chalking. I thought there might be a rubber gasket but the sides are chalked. I went inside and got a tube of latex flex chalk and put a new bead around both sides and the top.
I have had this RV for 10 months and have never seen this problem before and now I am worried about how much water has gotten into places I cant see. I thought I had been over every possible seal or joint but somehow I missed this one.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Had the same leak on the range hood vent outside also. It had not been caulked at all. I discovered the leak after a heavy driving rain from that side while parked. It was running down the wall behind the stove and out across the floor. Had to pull drawers and panel to dry it for a couple of days. Used a half roll paper towels getting all the soggy wood chips and water out. I keep a small tube of 3hr. silicone sealant on hand just for those times and used that to seal it.
Glad you found it before some damage was done.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
Pull the hood and look behind it on the wall, but chances are you caught it before it got to anything else because the water had a place to escape easy
Old 03-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 Challenger View Post
Pull the hood and look behind it on the wall, but chances are you caught it before it got to anything else because the water had a place to escape easy
I put a heater blowing in the opening for a couple of days, so hopefully it was not damp long enough for something to start cooking inside the wall area.