Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #1314
Poor tv reception from antenna

Been rving for 6 years fulltime in my 2013 Hurricane 32A. Up until about a year ago I usually could put up my antenna, run a search and get dozens of channels with good reception. Recently I am lucky to get 10-15 channels and many of those go in and out and are unwatchable.
Any ideas about how to improve my situation would be appreciated.
Is there a booster in my coach that I need to make sure is turned on? I've looked for it behind the tv but didnt see it.
Would a newer, better quality antenna than the original one give me better reception?
Thanks for reading my post.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #2

Model: windsport hurricane 34f
State: Tennessee
THOR #9067
There is a booster in my DVD player compartment of my 34f,just a button and a light. Also I climbed up top and found my ant connections were all corroded,cut the coax and put in a new connector,covered all with heat shrink,now it's much better
Old 06-08-2019, 11:44 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps it's just a case of fewer "over the air" channels being available now...
Old 06-09-2019, 12:28 AM   #4

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
I've noticed the drop in over the air channels in our area too and the one's still there seem to be operating at lower power levels. With a lot of folks "cutting the cable" and going back to antenna's, you don't suppose the big cable companies are twisting some arms? Could be my tinfoil is getting thin too, but I do know a local radio channel was told to lower it's power during certain hours because it was over riding a station 3 states away.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:42 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I've had trouble with over the air reception in my Hurricane 29M. The antenna is lower than the A/C cover so I figured that was the issue. At home I get 42 over the air channels on my house antenna, on the coach I get around 15 in the driveway. On my old coach with the crank up antenna I got over 30. I think Winegard has gone downhill with their new plastic antennas. I had to replace the one on my coach after 8 months as the internal components are all plastic and Winegard customer support told me to pound sand.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:09 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We, too, had bad corrosion on the TV cable on the roof. Our 2015 has the older style crank up antenna. We've found the number of available channels varies wildly by location. Most areas that aren't too remote have at least some educational and Spanish channels. And usually Me TV, Cozi and/or TV Land.

Oh, but we never get much of anything without turning the booster on.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Arrow

With out the booster on you will get almost "0" tv. The booster button is located on the wall plate the has the master coax connection. Depending on how your system is hooked up before getting a new ant. I would make sure all of the coax connections are more than finger tight. Take off the wall plate and tighten those connections, if you have splitters replace them with gold splitters and make sure connections are tight. If you are still not happy then think about ant.

I was not getting good channel reception with my Thor installed King ant. The location was right next to the AC cover and blocked signals from that direction. This year I purchased an Omni directional ant. installed it on the top of ladder, ran new coax. I feel that I do get a few more stations, but its still a mileage and tree thing.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
We replaced the standard booster with this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It shows us the best direction to be turned and add some gain when needed. We've only had it a few months, tried in a couple of different parks, but so far, I'm happy.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #9

State: California
THOR #1314
Thanks!