Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2018, 02:10 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Herer are the pics of the pump system on the ACE.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	13794Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2172.jpeg
Views:	476
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	13795

Old 11-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #22

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
I also was going to suggest your check valve is bad or debris has got it stuck...
Old 11-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Texas
THOR #11528
When ii'm hooked to outside water the fresh water tank is overflowing

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with my 2017 Thor Ace 30.3.

I've cleaned the strainer then I turned off city water and ran the pump for several minutes. I have a pressure gage and the pressure is about 40.

I'll go for a while and there is no leaking ... then all of a sudden it starts leaking into the fresh water and I have to shut off the city water. When I'm running the water pump, it appears to me that it is a bit noisy.

Do you think the problem is with the pump?
Old 11-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.1
State: California
THOR #7113
Water Pressure Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Don't have a regulator. But gonna get one.
always use a pressure regulator whether you feel it's needed or not. I use one, but one day I was in a hurry to check my system at home and just connected the hose direct from the house faucet. I left it on a couple days until I saw water pouring out the bottom of the RV in the vicinity of the toilet/shower area. We occasionally have water pressure surges and this was one of those days. It cost me a few bucks and a lot of time to pull out the entire shower and toilet and floor in those areas to repair a blown water line.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #25

Model: Challenger LX
State: South Carolina
THOR #12124
I had the same problem, I put a shutoff valve in the fresh water tank fill line. I close it when hooked to city water, open it when I want to use the pump or fill tank. Simple fix.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #26

State: Arizona
THOR #8467
Angry

If you have a Anderson Valve system for your water system, you could have a valve problem.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #27

Brand: Heartland
Model: Big horn
State: Ontario
THOR #13507
Water by pass

It may be possible that you have an Anderson KANTLEAK valve which are notorious for sending city water to the fresh water tank. Have had that problem as well as my buddy too
Old 11-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #28

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #7569
Last Christmas, we noticed water running from under the coach when hooked to city water. When I looked under the coach, I saw that it was coming from the fresh tank overflow. We had not filled the fresh tank. We would just use the pump until the water was low in the tank, then switch back to city until it was almost filled again. (The pump would cycle on and off, occasionally. Drove us nuts.) We did this for a week, until we took it to the factory service center for a previously made appointment.

Well . . . you know the valve that changes from city to tank? the O-ring in it was damaged. This allowed water to leak into the tank when set to city. They replaced the whole valve. The tech told us to be sure we always turn the switch in the same direction. Either clock-wise our counter clock-wise. He said that changing directions can damage the o-ring. We haven't had any more problems.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #29

Brand: Heartland
Model: Big horn
State: Ontario
THOR #13507
Steve in addition to what you just said I was told to take the pressure off the valve e.g shut water tap off momentarily open kitchen or any tap to relieve pressure then change the direction of the valve as you explained.
A bit of a pain in the butt to keep from having issues.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091

OK now this sounds like something that makes sense. I’ve had this randomly happen a few times with our Coach. I’ve often felt that the Anderson Valve might be the problem. Switching the valve to the different settings has always seemed to be sketchy. The plastic pointer knob seems to have excessive resistance when turning. It makes sense to me that there would be “O” rings involved with that valve but to say that one should only turn the valve in one direction for successful operation seems like a stretch. Sounds more like a design deficiency. Rubber “O” rings can get brittle and fail, or get damaged from too much compression. Looks like I’m going to have to get inside that Anderson Valve and check it out.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #31

State: Illinois
THOR #1721
Online 2017 windsport 27k on the pipe leading into the water pump. That's turned off when using city water
Old 11-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #32

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If it doesn't clear after several minutes of running the pump, you may need to disassemble it to clean it out.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #33

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
I had the same problem, I put a shutoff valve in the fresh water tank fill line. I close it when hooked to city water, open it when I want to use the pump or fill tank. Simple fix.
This is a good point Steve, on the ACE at least mine there is a shut off right before the pump which would stop the water coming from the tank or in this case going back to the tank.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #34

Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
THOR #11568
If you have the 4 position valve at the water supply intake, I have had the valve leak water to the fresh water tank and overflow. With the valve in the city water position I heard a slight water bypass noise and it slowly fills the fresh tank. Just wiggle the valve a little or move back to one of the other positions then back to the city position. This happened on my Aria 3901.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #35

Model: View
State: Nevada
THOR #7987
Quote:
Fresh water tank over over flowing at potable water side when hooked to outside water source. Water pump is off. Need help! Did we such a valve by mistake. And when unhook water to use water pump due to over flow with outside water, third pump sounds like it's trying to come on. Water is useable but making noise. Tried relaxing pressure by turning faucets on and didn't work. So, two issues. Are they related? The bigger issue is why is water overflowing into fresh water tank when hooked to outside source? We have a Ace by Thor 2017, Class A. Any help will be appreciated. I feel like it's a simple solution, but haven't figured it out. Thanks. MAX
Not sure which ACE you have, but our 2017 ACE 29.3 does not have any way to fill the tank from the city water hook up. You have to take a hose to the other side of the coach, and fill it separately there at the fill spout for the fresh water tank. Does yours actually have a fill valve associated with the city water connection? Also, definitely encourage you to take the filter off and clean it out, and be prepared to do it 4 or 5 times as you run tank water through it. As has been mentioned construction debris catches in there and can completely clog up the line, in fact we had to do a little bit of back pressure with a small air compressor through the line towards the fresh water tank to clear out some of that debris, because the filter had become so clogged before we realized what was going on.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:40 PM   #36

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by D and C Kincaid View Post
Not sure which ACE you have, but our 2017 ACE 29.3 does not have any way to fill the tank from the city water hook up. You have to take a hose to the other side of the coach, and fill it separately there at the fill spout for the fresh water tank. Does yours actually have a fill valve associated with the city water connection? Also, definitely encourage you to take the filter off and clean it out, and be prepared to do it 4 or 5 times as you run tank water through it. As has been mentioned construction debris catches in there and can completely clog up the line, in fact we had to do a little bit of back pressure with a small air compressor through the line towards the fresh water tank to clear out some of that debris, because the filter had become so clogged before we realized what was going on.
I also have the 29.3 but it is possible some of the other ACE's do have a valve, I had a 5th wheel that had a valve. I am glad mine has the separate fill though.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #37

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Illinois
THOR #13214
Quote:
Don't have a regulator. But gonna get one.
Before I had a regulator and once in a while I still do this even with a regulator,,,, I don't turn the city or park water on all the way,, start at maybe 1/2 or a bit more, then go inside and turn a faucet on ,, if I have good pressure I leave it if not I go back it and turn it on another 1/2 turn or so,, you get the picture.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #38

State: Alabama
THOR #12091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo53AZ View Post
If you have the 4 position valve at the water supply intake, I have had the valve leak water to the fresh water tank and overflow. With the valve in the city water position I heard a slight water bypass noise and it slowly fills the fresh tank. Just wiggle the valve a little or move back to one of the other positions then back to the city position. This happened on my Aria 3901.

Yes this is similar to what I’ve experienced. I always move the valve between City Fixtures and the other settings when I do my initial setup. This seems to work to prevent the leakage to the fresh water tank. For those that don’t have an Anderson Valve and don’t know what we’re talking about, they are a four position valve. The four modes on the valve are: Normal (Tank Supply), City Fixtures, Tank Fill and Winterize. It would seem to me that if the tank overflows tank while in City Fixtures Mode that there is likely a slow leak with the Tank Fill Mode.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #39

Model: Aria 3901
State: Iowa
THOR #12878
Max, Do you have the 4 position Anderson valve? If you do and you have it set in the city fixtures position, then your water pump should not be running.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:23 AM   #40

State: Mississippi
THOR #9456
Smile

Quote:
Fresh water tank over over flowing at potable water side when hooked to outside water source. Water pump is off. Need help! Did we such a valve by mistake. And when unhook water to use water pump due to over flow with outside water, third pump sounds like it's trying to come on. Water is useable but making noise. Tried relaxing pressure by turning faucets on and didn't work. So, two issues. Are they related? The bigger issue is why is water overflowing into fresh water tank when hooked to outside source? We have a Ace by Thor 2017, Class A. Any help will be appreciated. I feel like it's a simple solution, but haven't figured it out. Thanks. MAX
I had to make sure my water pump was turned off before I turned on city water