Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Hot water heater

Maiden voyage. Second day out dewinterized first time, no problem. Here is the problem. I flipped on the heater for 110ac (on shore power) Left it on for 30min figured that would be enough time for 6gallons. No dice. Plopped on propane and had hot water in 20 min. Ok good figured turn off propane now with hot water and turn on 110 again to keep it hot. Nope. All breakers are on and there isn’t a fuse that is label for water heater. Suggestions?

Thanks
JJ

FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:39 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Assuming you verified power to the RV? I have actually seen 4 seasoned RV owners trying to help a newbie without hot water. None of them checked the breaker on the power pole. Of course none of them could figure out why he didn’t have water either. His hose was hooked to the black water flush. I learned that day to ask all the silly questions.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 PM   #3

THOR #14057
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
Assuming you verified power to the RV? I have actually seen 4 seasoned RV owners trying to help a newbie without hot water. None of them checked the breaker on the power pole. Of course none of them could figure out why he didn’t have water either. His hose was hooked to the black water flush. I learned that day to ask all the silly questions.
Yes, power to RV.

Thanks
JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 04-20-2019, 12:39 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMON View Post
Maiden voyage. Second day out dewinterized first time, no problem. Here is the problem. I flipped on the heater for 110ac (on shore power) Left it on for 30min figured that would be enough time for 6gallons. No dice. Plopped on propane and had hot water in 20 min. Ok good figured turn off propane now with hot water and turn on 110 again to keep it hot. Nope. All breakers are on and there isn’t a fuse that is label for water heater. Suggestions?

Thanks
JJ
You might read the instructions for the location of the fuse -

"• The water heater comes factory-equipped with a fused circuit board, which will protect the circuit board from wiring shorts. If the fuse should activate, the water heater will not operate. Before replacing the fuse, check for a short external to the board. Once the short is corrected, replace the 2 amp fuse with a mini ATO style fuse. Do not install a fuse larger than 3 amps. • If the fuse is good and the unit is inoperative, check for excessively high voltage to the unit (more than 14 volts). • If the previous two steps did not solve the problem, check the thermal cut-off. The thermal cutoff is a device installed in the power supply line. This device will shut off electrical power and stop heater operation when activated. For example, if an obstruction within the flue tube should occur, such as described above in the Preventative maintenance section, the burner flame/heat may contact the cutoff, resulting in a melting of the fuse element incorporated in the thermal cutoff. In order to restore power and proper operation of the water heater, the obstruction must be removed and the thermal cutoff must be replaced."
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:26 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
It works on propane - no problem with the control board power or fuse.
The 120 VAC side comes from a breaker, through the reset button on the water heater to the heating element. If your heating element was energized with no water in the tank it burned open.

Turn your 120 VAC water heater switch on and check for 120 VAC at the heating element terminals.

If good, but no heat then you have a bad element.
If no good try pushing the electric side reset button. If still no voltage check the wire connecting wire nuts - a known Thor issue.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:20 AM   #6

THOR #14057
Thanks for the reponses and suggestions. Will try when home in a few days,,,
FMCA F496287
Old 04-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
It's simple. Your heating element is burned out.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
It's simple. Your heating element is burned out.
Not necessarily. My Dometic quit working on 120 volts because the 120 volt relay fused. The element was still good.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Had the electric option go out on the water heater on a travel trailer many years ago. Never did fix it. I’ve noticed that my last three RV had propane only units. Always supposed it was just to save money but now I really appreciate the simplicity and find that it doesn’t use very much propane. Still, if it was mine I’d feel compelled to repair it...
Old 04-22-2019, 12:54 AM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
If the electricity was turned on for a moment and the water heater didn't have any water in it, the element is burned out.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:00 AM   #11

THOR #14057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
If the electricity was turned on for a moment and the water heater didn't have any water in it, the element is burned out.
I let the water heater fill, turned on water pump, turned on hot water faucets to let water run through , then turned on 120ac.

Thanks
JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 04-22-2019, 03:37 AM   #12

THOR #13655
I have 29.3 ace mine wouldn’t work on 110 electric in back of heater under sink I removed panel got access to heater small black box has all connections in it opened in and wire nuts were loose bad connections twisted wires and reconnected wire nuts and problem fixed also be careful my breakers were miss labeled make sure no power to heater before u check connections
Old 05-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Mine did the same thing. Wirenuts came lose, burned wires, almost had a fire. Several folks have reported the same issue.