Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2018, 04:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
House batteries

Battery Problem: while on battery power at a Provincial Park (with restricted times for generator operation) I developed a major problem: My CO2 detector came on at 4am. I had spent the previous 4 nights on shore power --I did have an issue with a blown campsite receptacle on my 2nd night… but I just replugged into a nearby working receptacle (after that everything I used worked and I have a power surge protector that I had between RV and receptacle)
PROBLEM:
My CO2 detector came on at 4am. Lights, when I turned them on, cycled bright to dim. Battery indicator showed 1 of 4 lights lit.
Figured alarm was due to low battery level. Turned USE/Store switch to Store (alarm now silent). Tried to go back to sleep --while mentally computing all the negative possibilities (gas leak, awning still out hopefully no strong winds).
ACTIONS:
Daylight: checked water level in both house batteries (seemed fine but dribbled a bit into all - maybe 1/4c total). Tightened all 4 terminal nuts (only one moved fractionally). Checked fuse box -everything seemed fine but reset converter switch to be sure functional). Took fridge off auto setting and put on LP only.
Once into "generator allowed" period I ran my generator for the allowed 2hrs. Battery indicator now showed 3 of 4 lights lit.
Decided I could stay on for coming night (as prepaid /no refund;-). Kept battery draw very low for next 7hrs. (3 of 4 remained lit). Figured I could again put switch into store position overnight, plus could run generator the following day to pull in slide and would bring in awning during evening generator hrs. (since I basically would be disabling the auto retract function).
Moved on to next campsite… 2 hrs drive time. Batteries then showing 4 for 4 lit so now I am thinking resetting the converter may had corrected the problem. Realized batteries took a major hit.
Thanks for reading this far!

SO my questions WHAT TO DO?
Replace batteries: After such a deep discharge -are they toast?
Ask my dealership to have my converter tested to see if there iz some problem And if it IS charging up batteries while on shore power.
Or
Something else?
Are there other diagnostic steps I could take? I am planning a "no shore power" night tomorrow so will see if problem repeats.

I Just know taking it to the dealership without a clear plan is a very bad idea…..

Old 05-25-2018, 06:02 AM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Have the batteries "load tested". This will test their functionality. Thor uses somewhat cheap batteries. Mine lasted 2 1/2 years.

It sounds like you like to camp at RV parks with power. If that is the case, COSTCO sells Interstate Deep Cycle Batteries for about $80.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

State: Maryland
THOR #11668
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Battery Problem:
Replace batteries: After such a deep discharge -are they toast?
I've seen, read, and experienced issues with this. Some tests/personal experience show that, on lead acid batteries, after a discharge over 50% there is major damage done to them. I am looking at Lithium Ion's long term when I have the outlay for them. I would replace yours regardless of type. Best is Lithium Ion, Better are 6V Golf Cart, Base is the 12V Deep Cycle. My .02. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2018, 12:55 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktigerj View Post
I've seen, read, and experienced issues with this. Some tests/personal experience show that, on lead acid batteries, after a discharge over 50% there is major damage done to them. I am looking at Lithium Ion's long term when I have the outlay for them. I would replace yours regardless of type. Best is Lithium Ion, Better are 6V Golf Cart, Base is the 12V Deep Cycle. My .02. Good luck!
Thanks for comments! I do like to camp with out shore power about 50% of the time;-)
They held a charge for overnight use and put the slide in/out so are not exactly toast.
I think I will look into replacing them with pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries (thanks for the Costco tip). I will have to see about fit and how the wiring might be different. And if the existing converter will work with them. Always more questions!
At least I was able to finish out my trip...

Tags
compass, gemini