Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #3212
House Batteries Problem

I have a 2015 Hurricane 32N and keep having a problem with house batteries and the chassis radio. We were hooked up to shore power for several occasions and all was well. Got home, turned batteries to "store" for about a week using switch in coach. Turned switch on, radio wouldn't power up (no clock, no backup camera, no music). Went on trip and radio came on after a couple of days on shore power. Left campground and after one day on road, no power. Took it to Camping World and they are telling me the batteries are fine but the LP detector has a minor draw on the batteries and that I need a manual disconnect switch. I think that's incorrect (to be mild).

Any suggestions?

Old 11-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
do you still have the original batteries? I do and am looking into getting new ones, maybe the maintenance free and getting rid of the Harris batteries. I also have slide timing issues and I believe it could be the batteries that do not have the continual power. my 2cents!!!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:06 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Personally I never use the store switch and always keep coach plugged in. Even with batteries in store position there is some drain on the batteries and Harris just won't stay charged long.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #4

THOR #3212
The batteries (Exide) checked out good (I had them checked by two different people).
Old 11-09-2016, 12:31 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
You said you already had the batteries checked but when was the last time anyone topped them off with distilled water and then charged them? If they are the original Harris batteries, they are terrible at holding a charge especially if you are in a colder climate. Also, make sure everything electrical is turned off including water pump, heater, TVs, etc. as they do have a small drain no matter what.

I would recommend using a dogbone to step down to a 20amp plug and keep your coach plugged in at home which should solve the issue until you can figure out what the culprit is.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:08 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
When we get to the camp site, since we dry camp, the first thing I do is un plugged the fuse that feeds the dash radio from the house batteries. When I put the fuse back in the radio always has to be turned back on.
Since your batteries are ok look closer at the radio or its wiring back to the batteries.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:47 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Are you having problems with anything but the radio?
Is it a Jensen RV210?? (many have had issues with failure of the display in this unit... Search on it for several threads) It is intermittent and will work/not work at times.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #8

THOR #3212
The radio isn't the only problem. No power to ANY 12V powered item (lights, camera, radio, etc.).