Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
Here's the thing. I don't seem to have a USE/STORE switch. I have a main power switch. The switch doesn't have two positions. It's a spring-loaded rocker switch with a light next to it. When the RV is not plugged in, pressing the switch turns on DC power and lights the light. If you press it again, the power and light goes off. When plugged in, the light is on and pressing the switch does nothing. House power is on and the only way I see to turn it off is to unplug the RV.
A standard Thor USE/STORE switch is a spring return to center double throw rocker switch. It is a momentary switch that controls a relay. Push one direction and the relay connects the batteries to the DC buss. Push the other way and it disconnects the batteries from the DC buss. When plugged in, it doesn't matter to the loads on the DC buss what position the relay is in, it only matters to the batteries as to whether they get charged or not.

When not plugged in, the relay has to be in the position to connect the batteries to the DC buss or no DC loads will work.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #22

Model: 24HE
THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
A standard Thor USE/STORE switch is a spring return to center double throw rocker switch. It is a momentary switch that controls a relay. Push one direction and the relay connects the batteries to the DC buss. Push the other way and it disconnects the batteries from the DC buss. When plugged in, it doesn't matter to the loads on the DC buss what position the relay is in, it only matters to the batteries as to whether they get charged or not.

When not plugged in, the relay has to be in the position to connect the batteries to the DC buss or no DC loads will work.
So you're saying that the switch can be pressed on top or on the bottom and that I'll be able to tell when it's in store vs use?

I'll have to check that out. They didn't review that in the walk through.

P
Old 01-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
When you push it from one position to the other: you should hear a clicking sound...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #24

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
When you push the switch and you hear the relay contacts that indicates a change in the state of the circuit. So if you push the switch to USE and you don't hear the click that means it was already in USE (unless the switch is not working at all). When you hear the click that means the contacts are engaging for the position you are pushing.

So if you push the switch to USE and hear the click that means the circuit went from STORE to USE. No click means it was already engaged in USE.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #25

THOR #10225
I hate to be so thick about this but I'm not getting what you say I should. I have attached a video of the switch. Currently, the MH is plugged into AC power. The light next to the switch is on. When I press on the bottom of the momentary switch, I hear a solenoid switch activate. The switch returns back up. If I press it again, I hear the solenoid activate again. It will continue to do this as long as I hit the switch. There is no indication of "use" or "store" anywhere on or near the switch.

When I unplug the RV from AC Power, I press the switch and the power light comes on, I hear the solenoid and the lights work. I press the switch again, the Power Light goes off, I hear the solenoid and the lights don't work. I press it again... You get the idea.
Attached Files
Old 01-03-2018, 02:26 AM   #26
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I hate to be so thick about this but I'm not getting what you say I should. I have attached a video of the switch. Currently, the MH is plugged into AC power. The light next to the switch is on. When I press on the bottom of the momentary switch, I hear a solenoid switch activate. The switch returns back up. If I press it again, I hear the solenoid activate again. It will continue to do this as long as I hit the switch. There is no indication of "use" or "store" anywhere on or near the switch.

When I unplug the RV from AC Power, I press the switch and the power light comes on, I hear the solenoid and the lights work. I press the switch again, the Power Light goes off, I hear the solenoid and the lights don't work. I press it again... You get the idea.
You're not being thick, you're just expressing what you are experiencing. I will say that your switch does not operate in the same manner as the standard Thor USE/STORE switch. The standard Thor USE/STORE switch looks just like your awning switch above. Your power switch is a spring return single throw switch. I'm not sure that operates any other way than what you have tried to convey in this thread.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:11 AM   #27

THOR #10225
Quote:
You're not being thick, you're just expressing what you are experiencing. I will say that your switch does not operate in the same manner as the standard Thor USE/STORE switch. The standard Thor USE/STORE switch looks just like your awning switch above. Your power switch is a spring return single throw switch. I'm not sure that operates any other way than what you have tried to convey in this thread.
Thank you! I get an error when I tried to watch the video. I hope my description was enough. I don't have a problem with how it functions. I want to be sure something isn't working improperly or that I'm doing something wrong.

Pete
Old 01-03-2018, 03:14 AM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
Additional Question:

Use/Store switch used properly

Is it possible for the converter to charge the house batteries thru the generator but not thru shore power?

My last trip and last week in driveway (w/30A service), I noticed that the house batteries were not charging. But when I took the RV to my storage shed, I ran the generator and the indicators showed a higher charge amount.

While in driveway, at times I would hear what I believed to be the converter behind my circuit panel. Oddly, when no sound, I could gently push on the CB panel and the motor would start for a brief time.

This past summer I did have an experience where my external shore plug and power cable melted. I did replace cable and outside connector. During this time, my house 30A main and a/c CB's did pop a few times and the CB panel did get warmer than normal.

Could my converter be bad/partially failed?

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 AM   #29

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
I agree with the writer that says: plug in to the shore power once a month and then leave the use/store switch in the store position otherwise. This is easier on the converter because it is on all of the time in use mode . If your 30A line somehow gets disconnected accidentally, your house batteries will discharge with any load (including the use/store relay) left on in your vehicle and intimately get damaged beyond recharging.
Lead acid batteries normally can hold a charge for months when not loaded even when several years old. I, personally, have left cars in my garage for a year without recharging ('66 Covrvette without modern electronics) and been able to start the engine without a problem (California climate).
The converter, or AC to DC switching regulator built into the RV, will probably fail after a few years of continuous operation.

I have a lot of experience with switching regulators being a design engineer in the Power Management field. The problem normally comes from electrolytic capacitors "drying out" under continuous use due to the high ripple current in switching regulator circuits. The components used are typically not of the highest quality or are used out of their specified ripple current ratings. ($$$$ cost considerations).
Old 01-03-2018, 03:35 AM   #30
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you! I get an error when I tried to watch the video. I hope my description was enough. I don't have a problem with how it functions. I want to be sure something isn't working improperly or that I'm doing something wrong.

Pete
I had no problem watching the video. That was a great way to get what you are experiencing across.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:45 AM   #31
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Additional Question:

Use/Store switch used properly

Is it possible for the converter to charge the house batteries thru the generator but not thru shore power?

Could my converter be bad/partially failed?
No, if it is getting 120 VAC from the breaker panel it will charge the batteries if they are connected; BUT the generator has the capability to charge the batteries directly through the DC starting circuit just like an automobile engine (check the generator schematic, there's a bridge rectifier back to the batteries), so maybe your converter is bad and the only charging is happening directly from the generator.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:05 AM   #32

State: South Carolina
THOR #9892
2015 vegas dead batteries

The engine battery died and the couch batteries won't start the rv. How can anyone get jumper cables on the engine battery? Wow you can not get to the battery through the front grill? What a design!
Old 01-08-2018, 12:50 AM   #33

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank43g View Post
The engine battery died and the couch batteries won't start the rv. How can anyone get jumper cables on the engine battery? Wow you can not get to the battery through the front grill? What a design!
Actually you can get jumper cables on the battery from the front but it is not easy. Thor usually has the front air ducts smashed down on the top of the battery to boot. Once those two air ducts are rerouted as they should have been to begin with, it will be much easier. If you do replace the battery, it is a good idea to install wires for a trickle charger while you are at it.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:44 AM   #34

THOR #10225
Quote:
I had no problem watching the video. That was a great way to get what you are experiencing across.
That's good! I'm baffled why it says the format isn't supported. I'm trying to view it on the same iPad I used to take the video.

At least we've determined that my RV is different than the use/store models.

Pete
Old 01-08-2018, 05:07 AM   #35

State: California
THOR #10354
"Is it possible for the converter to charge the house batteries thru the generator but not thru shore power?"
The converter does not "go through" the generator. The generator, when on, provides AC 115VAC directly AND 12V indirectly to recharge the batteries. On my Vegas model, The converter uses the 115VAC "shore power" to generate the 12VDC to recharge the batteries. The schematic may be different than the one shown that has a separate generator output and a full wave bridge rectifier (diodes) that is connected to the house batteries. When the shore power is connected, the output of the 12V converter is regulated to provide proper high charge rate and "float" charging to the batteries so that they do not get overcharged and damaged. If the generator is used to charge the house batteries without regulation, overcharge and damage is probable. If the generator is supplying 115VAC and the batteries are not charging, the converter, supplied by the generator 115VAC, is probably not working. Check your particular schematic to see if it is using a separate output from the generator through diodes to charge the house batteries.