Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #12903
House Battery Replacement

Thinking we need to change out the house batter on our 15 Vegas 24.1. It just didnt seem to last long when our generator stopped on us a few weeks ago. What is the best replacement to get and would it be better to add a 2nd house battery? There is room for 2 but it currently only has 1.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
1) Definitely add a second battery if you have room
2) as for what kind, I'd recommend two 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series for 12V. It is the lowest cost (initial cost) solution (~$80ea from Costco/Sams, + one extra 2/0 awg cable and a Flow-Rite fill kit). (I like this solution for the more usable capacity repeatedly)
3) or if you dont mind spending more and want maintenance free, then two 12V AGM batteries, wired in parallel (+ two 2/0 awg cables..)
There is tons of information out there about different batteries and it really depends how you want to use your RV (dry camp, minimize gen useage, add inverter to use 110V things, etc.)
There are also many more opinions than facts out there, which this is just one...
Old 04-11-2019, 04:01 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Wyoming
THOR #7482
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
1) Definitely add a second battery if you have room
2) as for what kind, I'd recommend two 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series for 12V. It is the lowest cost (initial cost) solution (~$80ea from Costco/Sams, + one extra 2/0 awg cable and a Flow-Rite fill kit). (I like this solution for the more usable capacity repeatedly)
3) or if you dont mind spending more and want maintenance free, then two 12V AGM batteries, wired in parallel (+ two 2/0 awg cables..)
There is tons of information out there about different batteries and it really depends how you want to use your RV (dry camp, minimize gen useage, add inverter to use 110V things, etc.)
There are also many more opinions than facts out there, which this is just one...

I have the same question thought I have an ACE with two 12 v batteries now. They need replacing. What do I do?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #4

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by westlaker View Post
I have the same question thought I have an ACE with two 12 v batteries now. They need replacing. What do I do?
Just as HaRVey said.

So far, I have kept 2, 12vdc batteries in parallel.
I check water level often because I haven't added an automatic water tender system.
I keep the batteries from being run down, by plugging into shore power, and the converter charges them as needed, this could also be done with the generator running.
Just the way I am doing it (I had RV power, plug in, installed at home).

I understand that the two 6vdc batteries in series, gives a deeper amp draw, but mine is fine for now.

If I needed to replace both batteries, saying they both load tested bad, then I would look into the two 6vdc battery set up.
To each their own.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
When you plug in to re-charge the batteries: at what voltage reading do you plug them in, and how long do you let them charge?
Old 04-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Bob, Unless you have a programmable inverter/charger or solar controller which allows you to set charging parameters, I like to use a separate battery charger that has a 4 stage charging profile (Bulk, Absorb, Float, & Equalize/de-sulfate) like "Battery Minder" for storage/maintenance.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
all decent advice if your need is a fair bit off grid.

In my opinion though, 1 battery is fine if that's all you need...and even one marine/hybrid type battery is fine if that's all you need. Save the money and keep it simple.....
more batteries = more cells to keep watered + more connections to maintain + longer recharge times
(remember we want to maintain them at a fully charged state, and if your recharge can only get you to some lower level such as say 70%...then you'd be cycling between that and whatever your deep discharge level is...which as I understand it is harder on the batteries.)

For me, we do use our MH dry but mostly no more than 1 night before we drive again to recharge &/or run the genny to recharge... or use battery while 'on the road' during stops, keeping the fridge going while we go to play tourist someplace, etc....so the junky hybrid battery worked ok for us...oh, we aren't relying on an inverter for fridge use which might make a difference....

anyway, when my house battery started to go, I tried to replace it with a 12 volt trojan (or other brand true deep cycle "golf cart" battery).... but where I was at the time I couldn't find one that fit.... I mainly wanted just to increase my capacity a little just in case. Since I couldn't find a convenient one, I ended up just going with a larger group marine hybrid then what I had.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
When you plug in to re-charge the batteries: at what voltage reading do you plug them in, and how long do you let them charge?
If flooded batteries then, the more time you keep them fully charged the longer they will last. During bulk charging, the voltage will vary from 13.7 to 14.2 volts depending on how deeply the batteries are discharged. Absorption stage charging voltage will be 14.2 to 14.4 volts (the same as the engine's alternator). When the charger switch to float charging, the voltage will vary slightly from 13.4 to 13.6 volts showing the batteries are fully charged. If a 100 AH battery is 50% discharged it can take as long as 5 hours to bring it up to fully charged (assuming you have a 50 amp three stage charger). The battery will be 80% charged is about 1.5 hours but the absorption stage will usually take another 3 hours or so depending on battery temperature. If you have a bigger charger the the bulk charging will be shorter but the absorption stage will be take the same time. If you have a larger battery bank the bulk charging will take more time but the absorption stage will be the time. Remember converter controlling several chemical reaction, so temperature is a big factor as the condition of the chemicals (lead, lead oxide, lead sulfate, sulfuric acid and water).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
Bob, Unless you have a programmable inverter/charger or solar controller which allows you to set charging parameters, I like to use a separate battery charger that has a 4 stage charging profile (Bulk, Absorb, Float, & Equalize/de-sulfate) like "Battery Minder" for storage/maintenance.
Thanks!
That would be preferable; but I'm still stuck using the inverter method...
I keep an eye on the monitor, and plug it in once it drops below 12 volts...
After nine hours "on the juice": it's back up to 13.2!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Wyoming
THOR #7482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Just as HaRVey said.

So far, I have kept 2, 12vdc batteries in parallel.
I check water level often because I haven't added an automatic water tender system.
I keep the batteries from being run down, by plugging into shore power, and the converter charges them as needed, this could also be done with the generator running.
Just the way I am doing it (I had RV power, plug in, installed at home).

I understand that the two 6vdc batteries in series, gives a deeper amp draw, but mine is fine for now.

If I needed to replace both batteries, saying they both load tested bad, then I would look into the two 6vdc battery set up.
To each their own.

Would two of these do? https://www.bestreviews.guide/rv-deep-cycle-batteries?origin=bing&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=c pc&utm_content=BingYahoo&utm_campaign=333576899&bi ngcampaignid=333576899&bingadgroupid=1212761595364 581&bingadid=75797669382162&bingbidmatchtype=bb&bi ngdevice=c&bingmatchtype=b&bingorderitemid={Oreder ItemId}&bingquerystring=rv%20battery%20guide&bingt argetid=kwd-75797763941716:loc-190&bs=sNDCxNze2-gKaivSvG85RXpnpWA2jn3AszH_LGhbOF74xmGxK-vOTUYezqeKGZdApH1tzwGiSGGQxSqgcMkrYA==&bingkeyword =best%20rv%20deep%20cycle%20batteries&dest=0&sys_i d=1|626&msclkid=174406a382fa1c43ab625a0d3fd1e0ec
Old 04-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
most folks who might 'think' that they have battery 'issues', probably don't...they just don't know how the battery functions for the 'off-grid' times in an RV... a single battery will not last long in most any rv, and it's not necessarily designed to.

If you are mainly plugged-in or running your generator for most of your rving or camping, just make sure the battery is being charged - if so, it should read around 13.5 volts or higher while being charged, and about 12.6-12.8 when not being charged.

You can certainly add another battery to prolong your 'off-grid' time, but if you don't really every 'off-grid' that much, is probably not warranted.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:09 PM   #12

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by westlaker View Post
Would two of these do?
Honestly, westlaker, I cannot say because I haven't researched it far enough.
So far, I only have read the pros that some claim the 6vdc give, and they may so, not real sure.

Our batteries are okay at present, I just installed a new inverter to replace a bad one, then changed the battery isolator in it to a BIM 225.
System working great.

Bob's Q, I let it stay plugged in at home, inverter charging as needed, because the inverter literature claimed smart battery charging monitoring, and I trust that.

So, I was just saying, if I needed two coach batteries, I would look into the two 6 volt ones.
But, since systems are all good, for now, haven't done that.